A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,067
Currently Running With Scissors:
526 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Brother SE-350 - Embroidered Button that lives on a plush velvet bag!  (Read 4037 times)
Tags for this thread: rose , handbag , vintage_fabric , brother  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 08, 2008 12:35:57 PM »

Sponsored Content
* To see the overview of this Master Crafters campaign click here.
* To read more about the Brother SE-350 Embroidery and Sewing machine at Brother's website click here.

Brother SE-350 - Embroidered Button that lives on a plush velvet bag!

This bag was made to show off the awesome rose button I made, and as an excuse to finally play with the vintage red velvet fabric that I've been hoarding!

I made the button as shown on the other button thread, using a part of the rose design from Memory Card No 74 - Scrapbooking.

This is the same rose as on the cardigan, but I only embroidered the large rose (to see how to skip parts of the pattern, check out how I fixed my mistake on the tea towel - it's the same technique!). I embroidered the rose using two shades of red thread.

I did the outlining in black, skipping the outlining from the top rose and bud. To skip stitches, go to the pattern you've chosen and press the adjust key. Once you're in adjust, press the key that shows a needle and a plus/minus sign, as shown. Use the stitch forward button to skip stitches until you're where you want to start the stitching. As you press this, the embroidery foot will be moving, so watch it carefully to make sure you don't go back too far. (For more photos of this, check out the tea towel thread previously mentioned.) 

I made the bag quite large, and fairly slouchy, because I carry a lot of things, and I like loose bags. It could have been made smaller, but then it wouldn't hold all my stuff! I didn't interface the bag because the velvet was fairly heavy, and I didn't want it to be super firm. I did use heavy weight interfacing along the bottom and sides though, so that the bag would keep it's shape.

The bag is secured at the top with the button and a piece of twisted red satin cording.

There's a small cell phone pocket on one of the side seams, with an elasticized top to hold the phone into place. I made it rather short, so that phone could be easily removed.

At the back of the bag there's a zippered pocket, made of contrasting red cotton just for fun!

« Last Edit: September 17, 2008 08:13:55 AM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
batgirl
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008 06:37:52 AM »

This is lovely, the bag AND the button! A gorgeous button adds so much to a solid bag, it's simple, classy, and glamorous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tony and Angela DiTerlizzi Reveal Their Favorite Words
Peter Walsh Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Peter Walsh Talks About Enough Already
Elizabeth Scott Talks About Living Dead Girl
John Carter Cash Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet
Laundry Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...