A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
694 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Brother Innov-s 900D - Introduction: Spreading my Wings  (Read 13752 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 08, 2008 12:45:15 PM »

Sponsored Content
* To see the overview of this Master Crafters campaign click here.
* To read more about the Brother Innov-s 900D Embroidery and Sewing machine at Brother's website click here.

Brother Innov-s 900D - Introduction: Spreading my Wings

Hello everyone!  My name is Linda and I am addicted to Craftster... Cheesy

Actually, I have been crafting ever since I was a small child, drawing on walls, my toy box, and my tennis shoes!  My parents were very supportive and even enrolled me in art classes at a very early age. My grandmother on my father's side was influential in showing me how to sew and quilt to keep me busy when I would visit her each summer on the farm.  She is also responsible for my inability to throw out anything, with her stories of what it was like during the Great Depression... Grin

My mother's side of the family is from Japan, and it wasn't until the last 10 years that I reconnected with my roots and began to incorporate my Japanese culture into my crafts. I have been collecting vintage kimono fabrics and have been inspired to make not only bags, but also small gifts and household goods using these gorgeous fabrics before they disappear.  Like the entire world, Japan is changing and the traditional kimono is being replaced by modern western wear...

I have been sewing clothing for a little over 40 years...uh, yeah, I am 54 years young!  I am married to a musician and being around young people has kept me young at heart!  Eating chocolate also helps (especially since I live near Hershey, PA!).... Cheesy

I was very pleased to be selected to do this Brother Campaign for many reasons.
So much has changed from the days when sewing machines were fairly manual.  My old machines either require cams to change to decorative stitches or make buttonholes or there are only a few choices.  This campaign allowed me to experience all of the new features that will make me more productive and artistically challenged!

Don't laugh if you already have these functions!  You probably take them for granted, but to me, they are all new!
  • Automatic bobbin winder
  • Automatic thread cutter
  • Automatic needlethreader (My fave since my eyes are getting, uh, older!)
  • Ability to download patterns from my computer and from the web
  • Embroidery!!!!!!
  • Speed control with a push of the finger

The second reason I was glad to be picked was that after this many years of sewing, I needed to do something new.  It is always life-affirming when you challenge yourself and try new things.  To me, getting this machine meant being able to add a bit more frosting to the cake if I wanted!  My poor brain was spinning with ideas, and working with the awesome Amy just made it better--we kidded about not being able to sleep because we would wake up in the middle of the night with a new idea--ha ha--but it is true!  I have a shoe box labeled "INSPIRATION", and I am quickly filling it with ideas for future projects!  It feels wonderful to be creative and to wake up with a purpose to make something fun or beautiful...yep...

Another reason I am happy with this new machine is that I kind of got out of touch with the entire sewing community...the internet is so full of places to get ideas, patterns, fabric, show off your stuff in blogs, on Craftster, etc. but being in contact with real human people is what makes the sewing experience a true joy.  My Mom was so proud that I was making a kimono bag for this campaign and sharing my culture.  My friends, who are the recipients of many of my items, were giddy with excitement.  My husband, who himself is an artist/musician, shared ideas with me, gave me constructive criticism and cooked me food while I sewed ( Grin)  I loved connecting back to these positive feelings of pride, enthusiasm, creativity, awe, inspiration, joy, friendship, and love.

Finally, I know I was skeptical at first because I have never machine embroidered before.  To be honest, I did not consider it, uh, my taste.  I hope I don't offend when I say that I thought it was not really a creative endeavor.  I thought it was a bit cheesy.  But, I know this community is open-minded and appreciates all sorts of crafts, so I was going to prove to myself that any craft is what YOU make of it.  I just knew I could find ways to use the embroidery to do some pretty neat stuff that I would like!  I was glad that Amy was also selected because we are from different age groups and lifestyles so there would be a variety of projects -- something for everyone!  I must say that I did spend some time stalking the members who machine embroider, particularly cyndiq, who in the past was very generous with sending me some of her embroidered items!  I have learned a lot and am humbled.  I now slap myself everytime I say that something is "not for me." Roll Eyes

So, without further ado, here are some pics of me and my mean machine!

My machine arrives!  It is the Brother Innov-is 900D.  It is a combo sewing/embroidery one with lots of bells and whistles, including a USB port to be able to download patterns and updates over the internet! Oh wow!

Setting up my machine in my sewing room:

Woo-hoo!  Embroidery cards that Brother sent to me!  Crafty_dame has many more pics on her introduction of all of the accessories, so I will spare you the repetition!

The sewing machine also has an extension that allows more room to sew -- see how big it is?  When you remove it, you can sew sleeves and other round areas.  I like that the threading instructions for both the bobbin and upper thread is printed right on the machine for those spacey moments!

I feel like a proud parent -- and here is my new baby in all of her splendor!  I still have not come up with a name yet and will be taking suggestions Wink  Do you see the purpley rectangle on the right hand side?  I can CUSTOMIZE my machine by inserting a picture or a piece of fabric!  Why I might just embroider her name on there!  Grin

I almost forgot to mention that there are Disney and Pixar characters built into the designs.  Here are my practice pieces -- awwwww NEMO!  Cheesy

I would also like to thank Leah, Craftster, Brother, and all of the fellow mods for their support, encouragment and peer pressure. Wink  In particular, thanks to crafty_dame for commiserating with me late nights when the sewing bug got hold of me!!  I was glad to know that someone else was using her machine in the wee hours of the morning, dreaming of new ideas...*sigh* so many projects, so little time, but to have such problems is to be envied!!!  Kiss to all of us for our drive to create!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008 08:16:07 AM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Betty B. Cake
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008 12:53:02 PM »

Super Sweet! I am sooo jealous!! Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When life gives you Lemons...Squirt them in the eyes of your emenies!
mountaingrrl
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008 01:32:17 PM »

ooh! This has been on my wishlist, but then I kinda took it off because of the thread about sewing machines, where brothers don't get a very good name. I'm totally fascinated by what you've been making and can't wait to see you put it through the paces. My current machine is a New Home that works, but does nothing fancy. I want to be able to do fancy stitches and embroider stuff! Not the birdhouse they sent you...but stuff Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008 04:50:09 AM »

Soooo excited for ya!  I love the projects you came up with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Muria
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008 06:43:23 AM »

This sounds so cool!  How big are the hoops for embroidery, and were they adequate for the projects you decided to do (lots of re-hooping, or pretty easy)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008 07:09:48 AM »

I was sent two hoops...the first one was for smaller projects(about 6"x8") and one was for larger projects(about 6"x12"). I never had to remove the fabric with the large hoop...you just move the hoop into the different slots on the machine!  This made it fast and accurate for me..I will take a pic to show you what I mean if you like!

There is a jumbo hoop available for really large projects--I am planning on buying this to be able to do the backs of hoodies for my nieces and nephews.

Otherwise, the two I have would be adequate for most projects...many of the embroidery patterns can be made smaller or larger by just touching the screen!  I love this especially with the lettering!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008 11:32:59 AM »

I was sent two hoops...the first one was for smaller projects(about 6"x8") and one was for larger projects(about 6"x12").

That's interesting.  The specs on the brother page say that the "maximum embroidery field" is 4"x4".  I'd thought that it meant that that was the largest available hoop, but apparently not. 

*I do not have $700 to spend on an embroidery machine.  I do not have $700 to spend on an embroidery machine.  I do not have $700 to spend on an embroidery machine.*    Think I'll convince myself if I keep it up?  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Beginning wister
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008 03:57:52 PM »

Muria--this is not just an embroidery machine...it is a combo...it does all of the regular sewing, including buttonholes, etc. I am using it for all of my sewing needs right now since my old machine does not have much more than straight stitch and zig-zag.

I think the 4x4 embroidery space is the maximum of ONE section of the embroidery pattern.  If you look at my other projects, you will see that they are quite large!  Some of them required three positioning of the hoop...

Yeah, I did not NEED this machine either... Wink  But now I can't stop! ha ha

I might need a self help group to quit!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

mountaingrrl
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008 04:49:21 PM »

ooh! does it do buttons? Like it'll sew on various sizes of buttons?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008 06:05:28 PM »

Yeah, but my Janome is only about 2 years old, and it was a $350 machine (that I got when they discontinued it).  It's really only the embroidery siren that's calling my name.  Roll Eyes 

Thanks for the clarification on the embroidery space!   Though I just looked at the price for the extra large hoop. Shocked  It costs almost as much as my 2 year old sewing machine!  Maybe I'll just drool and nag you for personal swaps.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Beginning wister
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jennifer Lawrence Gets Glam in Prada to Announce the Oscar Nominees
See Our Favorites From the Jason Wu For Target Line Up Close and Personal
Sundance Style Recap: How to Get Cold-Weather Chic
3 Ways to Style Leggings
How to Get the Coco Chanel Look
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...