A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,809
Currently Running With Scissors:
586 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Brother SE-350 - Embroidered Music Quilt  (Read 4538 times)
Tags for this thread: quilt , music , brother  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 08, 2008 12:30:08 PM »

Sponsored Content
* To see the overview of this Master Crafters campaign click here.
* To read more about the Brother SE-350 Embroidery and Sewing machine at Brother's website click here.

Brother SE-350 - Embroidered Music Quilt

Last fall, I heard a rumour that a friend from high school was pregnant.  We've lost touch over the years, but at one point, she was one of my closest friends and I really wanted to make something for her/her baby.  In about November, I went searching for fabrics, specifically wanting a fabric that was music print.  At that point I didn't know if she was going to have a boy or a girl, and I didn't know if her husband (who I've never met) was the type to be anal about "boy" colours and "girl" colours, so I went with the basic primaries.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, and I'd yet to cut the fabric!  The baby has been born, obviously, and is at least 8 months old!  However, when I bought this memory card from my local Brother dealer, I knew there was a reason that I'd waited so long to start the quilt (other than laziness of course, that's a given!).

The mom is a musician and a composer who teaches piano and plays both piano and trombone beautifully, so I'm certain that the baby is going to grow up in a music loving household.  The treble clefs on this card were perfect!

To start, I preshrank the fabric.  I don't usually do that with quilts (which is debatable -- some people say you HAVE to, and some people say you NEVER should!), because I rarely use light fabrics where I'd have to worry about bleeding, and I really like the wrinkled slightly vintage look that quilts get when you wash them after quilting.  But since I was embroidering on the blocks, preshrinking was a must!

I chose a square in square block design and got started cutting.  I quickly realized that I didn't have enough fabric for the larger quilt that I'd planned -- oops.  I recalculated my blocks, and decided to go with 5 across and 5 down, making a quilt that's about 43" x 43".  One of the really nice things about this pattern is that you can make the blocks any size you like, and I chose 8 1/2" blocks.  Then I sewed the blocks together, LOVING the stop/start button on the machine!  So fast and easy!

After the blocks were sewn and pressed, I went about folding them into quarters and marking the centres.

I used the guide for my hoop to match up the centres when I stretched the blocks with the tear away stabilizer,

And then, because I'm paranoid, I also lined the centre marking up with the needle as well!

Once I'd embroidered the centre of all the red squares, I pieced the quilt squares together.  Again, the stop/start button was AWESOME! (Please note that patchwork is apparently NOT my forte!  My squares don't look nearly perfect!)

At that point I realized that I really didn't have enough of the backing, so I started piecing that as well.  I did three long strips across the back, two really narrow and simple and one wider, with a square in a square block, and then I did two skinny strips going down the quilt, along the same lines as this tutorial.  I really love how it turned out - the back suits my personal taste more than the front! (The front squares turned out a bit more traditional looking than I was expecting - I don't know why I didn't realize that they would!)

I layered the front and back with batting in between, pinned, and then started stitching in the ditch.  Remember, it's been YEARS since I've done much quilting, so I was extremely grateful for my clear thread to help hide some of my oops!

(Note that the walking foot is an optional attachment for the SE-350! my pre SE-350 machine was also a Brother, and the walking foot from it was compatible)

I stitched around each diamond square (the red and the blue) because I really wanted them to be the focus of the quilt, and I'm going to fill in the rest with stippling.

I did get started on the stippling, but ran out of time.  I was really excited when I saw that the machine came with a stippling stitch, because I'm TERRIBLE at stippling.  I've never been able to master it after lots of attempts, lots of reading, and even a class on it!  I played around with using that stitch on this quilt, but decided the stitches were too close together, making the quilt rather stiff, and that's not really what I wanted for a baby quilt.  It would be PERFECT for an art quilt or a quilted wall hanging though!

However, I could still use the stitch to help make my free hand stippling less random!  So I used the darning foot to freehand stipple (Don't worry, I checked that the stitches would fit inside the opening first!  I don't need any broken needles! Wink), and that worked pretty well.  You can see the parts I managed to get done in the picture above.
Once I finish the quilting, I'm going to bind the edges with more of the blue music printed fabric (I was so glad the store still had some this many months later!)

Hopefully that'll happen before the baby starts school! (Though it would make a good naptime quilt.... Wink)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008 08:14:18 AM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.

..sweets4ever is so rad..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008 09:35:34 PM »

I love the repeating embroidery on this quilt, it really adds to the impact and the visual texture. I've seen embroidered quilts but not one with such a nice use of a repeated motif. It turned out so well!

technocutie, handmade iPod cases and felt accoutrements
thoughts and days.

I <3 the mod squad ladies!

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008 12:35:49 AM »

thanks! i can't wait to get it home and finish it!

my mom asked why i didn't use a stronger colour for the embroidery, but since the fabric was so primary, i wanted a "girlier" colour! i do think it's a bit darker than it shows in the pics though.

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
Tutorial Contributor

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008 06:26:15 AM »

The embroidery adds so much to the quilt, what  great idea!

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Macaroni and Cheese
Behind the Sandwich: Crispy Pork at Bark Hot Dogs
The Best Burger in New York City: The Brindle Room
Dr. Travis Makes a Healthy Deep Dish Pizza
How to Make Creamy Mac and Cheese with Bread Crumb Crust
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Felt Basket
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...