A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 304,876
Currently Running With Scissors:
739 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Brother SE-350 - Embroidered Buttons that live on cardigans (or will!)  (Read 6278 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2008 , covered_button , tutorial , brother  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 08, 2008 12:27:05 PM »

Sponsored Content
* To see the overview of this Master Crafters campaign click here.
* To read more about the Brother SE-350 Embroidery and Sewing machine at Brother's website click here.

Brother SE-350 - Embroidered Buttons that live on cardigans (or will!)

When I first got the machine, I was a little scared of positioning things properly.  There just seemed like there was so much margin of error (there's not really!) and I was totally intimidated by the idea of embroidering on purchased items that weren't re-creatable like things I made myself would be (silly!).

So I started thinking about things to make that were more flexible, and by the time I got over my fears (like a whole day later, it didn't take long!), I was already determine to make covered buttons!

Covered buttons are a fabulous sewing accessory that we just don't use often enough anymore to suit me.  You can use them to blend the buttons into fabric, by covering them in the same fabric as a garment, or you can use them to really be a feature of the garment.  A few years ago I went through a phase of using iron on transfers to make buttons (I think there are still pics of vintage pin up buttons in one of the swap galleries!), so I've got a bunch of covered button kits stashed with my notions. 

I decided to use the little flower design from Memory Card No. 67 - Home Decor to make some of my buttons.

It was little enough to fit on the buttons, and it also appealed to my kitsch sensibilities, because it totally reminds me of those little flowers that were on undershirts and nightgowns when we were kids.  Remember these?

Again, I wasn't super keen on the suggested colours, since they were slightly pastel (mint green, pink and light blue).  I did a sample using cherry red (from another manufacturer), moss green (Brother 515) and sky blue (Brother 019) -

But I thought the blue was a little too pale for the other shades, so I switched it out for prussian blue (Brother 007), and that was perfect.

When I made my buttons, the first one I did was the rose from Memory Card No 74 - Scrapbooking.  After I finished the largest piece I was planning on embroidering, I removed the hoop from the machine and traced the button size guide around the rose.  Then I looked at the fabric left in the hoop, and traced as many little button guides as I could fit.  Then I centred the embroidery foot in each circle and embroidered the small flowers.

After embroidering, I cut out the circles.  I dabbed a little glue onto the back of each embroidery and pressed the front button piece onto them and let them dry.  This made sure that the embroidery stayed centred on the button, even when pushed into the little button thingy in the next step (I learned this the hard way!).

After the glue was dry, I carefully pressed the button rounded side down into the little rubber tool that came in the kit.  I pressed the edges towards the middle, and set the button back on top.

Using the little tool that came in the kit, use the hammer to secure the button front and back together. (And really, don't bother buying the "no hammer needed" kits, I've never been able to get them to stay together for long - again, learn from my mistakes!)

The completed button!!

Now gently bend the rubber tool and pop the button out!

The buttons are going to go on a red jersey cardigan.  The fabric beneath them is actually one of the pattern pieces.

After the flowers, I started thinking about how fun it would be if the buttons spelled something and realized that letters were the perfect size for the smaller buttons in my stash. 

I used a font from Memory Card No 1 - Alphabet to embroider all the letters to spell out "crafty dame".

This is what the buttons WILL look like on the cardigan; the pre-existing buttons were so tiny that I have to redo the button holes before I can sew them on (luckily, the SE-350 comes with 10 different buttonhole stitches!)

Unfortunately, I didn't have time to play around with the buttonholes as much as I would have liked because I was too busy trying to dye the sweater (that's a story for another day, though Cheesy)!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008 02:13:37 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
lala leti
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008 12:54:02 PM »

LOVE em!!!

VEry very nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stay gold ponyboy ... gold.
Betty B. Cake
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008 12:55:09 PM »

I <3 <3 <3 the crafty dame buttons...I want!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When life gives you Lemons...Squirt them in the eyes of your emenies!
craftydame

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008 01:28:52 PM »

thanks you two!!

Betty B Cake, wouldn't you rather have Betty B Cake buttons? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008 01:54:16 PM »

I love the buttons! Especially the "crafty dame" buttons. That is just way too cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
EmilyFlew

..sweets4ever is so rad..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008 09:28:42 PM »

These turned out so well! They really jazz up a cardigan, so cute. And such a creative idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

technocutie, handmade iPod cases and felt accoutrements
thoughts and days.

I <3 the mod squad ladies!
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008 06:29:27 AM »

You, my friend, are a genius! What a fab idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
sushicatgirl
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008 05:52:23 PM »

Your buttons are very beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008 06:58:50 AM »

looks like we might be embroidering a lot of buttons  Wink

I sure would need a really really long cardigan with my user name!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008 07:03:39 AM »

I love that you both are able to take some fairly boring "country" patterns and rework them into something modern and fabulous! You're both really good "outside" the box thinkers with great eyes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
See How Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Do Paris
Wear Your Chambray Shirt a New Way Every Day
5 Ways to Revamp Your Fall Wardrobe
Sofia Vergara To Wed in Vera Wang
Paul Smith - London- Spring 2014 - Backstage, Interviews and Runway
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...