A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,601
Currently Running With Scissors:
745 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My workspace  (Read 437 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BabyMarie
Baby's Busy Crocheting

View Profile WWW
« on: September 08, 2008 11:49:07 AM »

This is my oh so messy workspace.  I use my dining room table, and can only do that when my three daughters are at their dad's house for the weekend!  When they're here I have to stash everything in the pantry and only get out the very basics.  Even then I don't get any work done!   I have finished hats in big gift bags, hooks mixed in around pen/pencil drawers and unused yarn in giant zip lock bags.  Any suggestions on better storing/simplifying crochet tools/materials or minimizing your work space?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008 07:18:52 PM »

I keep all my hooks together. I use a big coffee can to hold them all.

WIP's are kept in individual 2-gallon zip bags, and include the instructions, necessary hook(s), and any finishing supplies such as a yarn needle.

That way, I don't even need a workspace, as it is all portable. I can grab a project to take in the car with me, or work on a project while watching tv, or crochet on the porch. I have a work area for other hobbies, such as decoupage and beading, but I really don't need one for my crochet and knitting.

If I'm doing a project that allows me the freedom of choosing different yarns as I go, I work from a backpack or duffel bag that subs for a knitting bag, since I don't have a proper one. That way I can have lots of different yarns on hand, and a pocket for hooks, scissors, needles, and so on.

The duffel is also good for larger projects.

My yarn stash is in a plastic lidded tub in the bottom of my closet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BabyMarie
Baby's Busy Crocheting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008 07:41:16 AM »

The work's in progress thing is a great idea.  I think I'll be working on sorting all mine out at the kids' naptime!  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

djonesgirl
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008 08:01:51 AM »

I keep my WIP in a tote bag on the couch. Amazingly, my cats are respectful of whatever I'm working on at the time and leave it alone.  Everything else is in my bedroom in hanging cubbies and plastic tubs, safe from the cats (because they don't respect those).  I could never crochet at the table--does your back ache all the time?  I probably wouldn't crochet as much as I do If I had to sit in a hard chair!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BabyMarie
Baby's Busy Crocheting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008 08:23:24 AM »

If I'm working on sewing or anything with needles I have to work at the table so the kiddies (not kitties, but my offspring) can't get at me.  But I mainly crochet on the couch so they can sit with me while I'm working.  The baby still grabs at my work from time to time but they're pretty good at leaving the yarn and hooks alone.
My five year old loves to hold the yarn balls and unravel them while I'm working.  She's a little OCD.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Summ3r
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008 11:15:11 AM »

You have to think about how you work best... What inspires your creativity... I would suggest a more comfortable area that is not so in the open. Your leaving your work where other people can come move it out of place and we all know we love our stuff to be untouched until its at least finished... I would suggest a good chair where you can sit in it and zone out and a more secluded area for you can have privacy...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crocheting makes my world go round...

SuMm3R
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Work With Grayscale Sliders in Camera Raw 4.0
How to Work With Vibrance and Saturation Sliders in Camera Raw 4.0
How to Work With Clipping Warnings in Camera Raw 4.0
How to Adjust Exposure in Camera Raw 4.0
How to Adjust White Balance in Camera Raw 4.0
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...