A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,087
Currently Running With Scissors:
490 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Halloween "Apothecary", "Soothsayer's Den" & "Haunted Tavern" Party - Ideas?  (Read 10712 times)
Tags for this thread: halloween_party  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NyteRayn

Hi my name is Jess and I have a crafting problem.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008 06:14:40 AM »

NyteRain, since you have the room, why not have diferent areas w/ different themes. Imagine if the enterprising Mrs. Lovett would have rented a space not only to Mr. Sweeney Todd, but Dr. Frankenstein, Madame Leotta and Madame Lavoe as well...it would make it much easier to diversefy your decore while staying away from the "cutsey"

We've decided to make the kitchen/diningroom/living room (open area) a "Witches Apothecary"... we're going to make the sunroom (small room with couches lining) something like a "Soothsayers Den" with a crystal ball and stuff... and then the upstairs, where we have a full bar w/pool table, etc... is going to be the "Haunted Tavern".

So now I need even more ideas!!! LOL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Findings, links, tutes, fabrics, news, photos and all other sorts of crafty-type stuff! http://elementalcraft.blogspot.com/
craftoholicthrifterista
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008 11:40:19 AM »

Ok, how about this,

look up "levitating table" on martha stewart. it shows how to do a, well, levitating table.

then get: 1 bubble glass light fixture from home depot ($9)
              1 ornate candle base to support the bubble glass fixture upside down (goodwill has a good selection wherever they have the candles and chotchkies and whatnots (got mine for $2))
               1. happymeal from macdonalds w/ bubble head doll. feed happy meal to hungry kid/dog and keep the bubble head doll
                2. hair
                3. polymer clay or papiermache (whatever you've got) and paints
                4. something like a flashlight/pen with light or chotchkie stand (they got them at the dollar store) that has light that changes color

Take the bubble head doll and hack/melt the extra off until you have what you want as your basic head armature. cover w/ polymer clay or papier mache and paint as you wish (glow in the dark puff paint for a dollar is great for this). put some hair and now you've got a bobble head witch (if you are really into it  you could attach a jaw w/ the spring of pen to the doll so you have a bobble head w/ a bobble jaw and it looks like its talking/moving)
Put head inside glass fixture and glue. put fixture on base and glue. attach light source attach all of this to the table. and voila, seance!

What I wanna do is put the levatating table on something that turns (like x-mas tree turner or a fan motor and place the whole contraption on top of my fog chiller.

i love halloween!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008 12:53:40 PM »

You could give the effect of a deserted/haunted house by putting grimy, dusty sheets (not really dirty, dye them to look that way) over all the furniture, and draping yards and yards of shredded gray cheesecloth on the windows.  Rubber rats tastefully peeking out from under furniture look quite realistic.

It would be fun to drape the soothsayers den in lots of fabric, too, make it feel like a gypsy tent.  Swaths of deep colors like burgundy and purple and midnight blue, with maybe a little glittery fabric here and there to catch the light.

You definitely want moody low lighting throughout.  Use lower-than-usual watt bulbs, colored bulbs, dimmer switches, and/or throw colored fabric over lampshades to color and reduce the brightness.

Another possible inspiration is Miss Havisham from "Great Expectations"
She was the old lady, jilted on her wedding day, who sat around in her decrepit wedding dress in a the room prepared for the wedding breakfast, festooned with 20 years worth of dust and spiderwebs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NyteRayn

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008 01:55:27 PM »

Another possible inspiration is Miss Havisham from "Great Expectations"
She was the old lady, jilted on her wedding day, who sat around in her decrepit wedding dress in a the room prepared for the wedding breakfast, festooned with 20 years worth of dust and spiderwebs.

LOL. "Gypsy Tent" was the exact phrase I used when explaining the concept to my bewildered boyfriend... and I was planning to unscrew some of the lightbulbs from the lamps & chandeliers to reduce the light... you had some good thoughts too..

And I LOVE the gray cheesecloth idea- I've been trying to decide what to do with the windows- we have so many. Does cheesecloth come in gray- or would that be a day of dying?

Also... didn't they set Miss Havisham on fire at the end??!!! LOL.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Findings, links, tutes, fabrics, news, photos and all other sorts of crafty-type stuff! http://elementalcraft.blogspot.com/
steiconi
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008 10:26:55 PM »

I've only seen cheesecloth in white, but (now that I think of it) my local fabric store has a 99-cents-a-yard table that often features ugly, thin gray fabric.  I'd offer to get some for you, but shipping from here is ridiculously expensive, so you'll be better off shopping locally.  Look for the cheapest fabric store in the crummiest area, and you should get a bargain!

Eeeeww, they set her on fire?  I don't suggest that.  No, no, no live flames! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lyttlegems
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008 06:31:32 AM »

I've been lurking on craftster for a while, and especially since I decided I was going have a halloween party. As I work in a creative team for my day job.. so expectation is high!

Some ideas for my party are a witches apothecary in the kitchen.. bottles of eyeballs (bought ping pong balls on ebay) in red food dye liquid, lizards and spiders in bottles, all with old vintage style labels on them. Also some bottles with coloured bubble bath in them.. Lots of spider webs around, rats hiding from underneath furniture, ripped black muslin hung over the windows (sweeping like curtains), food is going to be served in cauldrons..

Bathroom.. blood bath, red blood hands and foot prints (using pva glue and acrylic paint, let it dry and peel off hands) stuck on the tiles on the wall and floor... make gory limbs and leave in bath (don't know how yet)

End of hall... to stop people going into rooms i don't want them to.. crime scene, close off using crime scene tape (from ebay), and mark out the shape of a body on the floor using white electrical tape, and card markers for numbers for evidence.

Living room... not sure, haunted house, or bat cavern

Front garden... making a gate with bamboo and spraying it black, having old dolls heads stuck on the spikes of the gate (used to drive past a house when we were young and they had a gate like this in pale blue in their garden all year round, still freaks me out!)

Hope this helps, I have got some great ideas from this thread too..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NyteRayn

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008 08:07:01 AM »

I've been lurking on craftster for a while, and especially since I decided I was going have a halloween party. As I work in a creative team for my day job.. so expectation is high!

Some ideas for my party are a witches apothecary in the kitchen.. bottles of eyeballs (bought ping pong balls on ebay) in red food dye liquid, lizards and spiders in bottles, all with old vintage style labels on them. Also some bottles with coloured bubble bath in them.. Lots of spider webs around, rats hiding from underneath furniture, ripped black muslin hung over the windows (sweeping like curtains), food is going to be served in cauldrons..

Bathroom.. blood bath, red blood hands and foot prints (using pva glue and acrylic paint, let it dry and peel off hands) stuck on the tiles on the wall and floor... make gory limbs and leave in bath (don't know how yet)

End of hall... to stop people going into rooms i don't want them to.. crime scene, close off using crime scene tape (from ebay), and mark out the shape of a body on the floor using white electrical tape, and card markers for numbers for evidence.

Living room... not sure, haunted house, or bat cavern

Front garden... making a gate with bamboo and spraying it black, having old dolls heads stuck on the spikes of the gate (used to drive past a house when we were young and they had a gate like this in pale blue in their garden all year round, still freaks me out!)

Hope this helps, I have got some great ideas from this thread too..

Oh... sounds like we have alot of the same ideas... maybe we should buddy-up and keep in touch through the next 6 weeks, sharing ideas?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Javalita
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2008 07:23:38 AM »

hint:  If you use those cheap plastic black cauldrons, paint flames on the bottom.  Did this for a harry potter party and it makes the cauldron.  i just used cheap craft pain, poured red, orange and yellow to paper plate.  used sponge to just grab tons of paint/mixed colos and put on in simple flame pattern.  looked really good and much better than the plain one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2008 09:02:15 AM »

Last year I got to "help" decorate for The ManFlesh's Halloween party and I did a few things you might be interested in.  He has an actually entryway that's only 1 story and all the walls are wood panels or wood built-ins.  First I replaced the light with a black light then I COATED that entry with spider webs, layers and layers and layers of spiderwebs - the kind you buy in a bag stretched really thin.  Then I had some baby dolls dressed in costumes (got really lucky to find such in the goodwill bins).  They were ratty and one said different things when you pressed her hands, feet, etc. that were super creepy in the context ("do you like my pretty dress" - that kind of thing).  Anyway, I wrapped them in layers of web with just parts poking out as though they'd been wrapped up for spider-lunch and hung them in the webs. (I got the doll idea here on craftster)  I also did the Martha Stewart spider egg sacks with a Styrofoam ball in a white stocking covered with plastic mini-spiders.  Finally I put dozens of different plastic and rubber spiders in the web, including hairy tarantula types and glow in the dark ones.  Finally, I hung clear upholstery thread from the door- and archway so that it felt like walking through spiderwebs.

I believe that if there are enough of any one type of thing it becomes sinister.  So clump together your rats, bats, spiders, bones, etc. 

I want to make something like this that I saw online the other day, too.
http://www.grandinroad.com/jump.jsp?item=32678&maincatcode=null&subcatcode=null&itemID=17104&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C2759%2C2761%2C2770&iProductID=17104
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikimac

28 and life to go

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008 09:35:51 PM »

Last year for a Halloween evite I asked people to bring ridiculous things that you would put in apothecary jars, but I put a goofy spin on each one.  Here's my list, in case you think any would be humorous for your party too:
 tongue of a lisping dragon   
 eyes of a nearsighted banshee
 warts of an unpopular toad
 toenails of a conceited gargoyle
 tears of a lovesick werewolf
 blood of a papercut jellyfish   
 whiskers of a teenage bat
 scales of a sunburned lizard 
 oil of a skittish skunk   
 sweat of an overweight vampire   
 teeth of a British troll
I'm going to make the jars for my party this year.  I bought some eyeball bouncy balls for the eyes, and I'll use fishing wire for the whiskers and hominy for the teeth, but I haven't figured out the rest quite yet.  Let me know what you use if you do it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love planning parties - come to me if you need any ideas!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kerry Washington Shares Skincare Secrets
C&C Try: Rosewater
MAC Cosmetics Holiday Palette Review
How to Wear Gold Eyeliner
Birchbox Sneak Peek: December 2013
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...