A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Halloween "Apothecary", "Soothsayer's Den" & "Haunted Tavern" Party - Ideas?  (Read 11027 times)
Tags for this thread: halloween_party  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NyteRayn

Hi my name is Jess and I have a crafting problem.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 08, 2008 11:48:11 AM »

Hey all- I want to throw an adult Halloween party this year... and I'm currently living in the perfect house for it, I have all the room (and rooms!) that I could need... I just have to figure out a good way to decorate.

My idea is for an Apothecary Theme... an old, creepy, witches apothecary with jars filled with eye of newt, and dried snakes and other fun things I can replicate using crafts and glass jars... I got the idea here:

http://aranamuerta.com/

I want to do an overall creepy thing... cobwebs, bats, etc... but not get too cheesy with the ghosts and witches and norm...

What great ideas do you guys have percolating in the backs of your heads? I'd love to hear them! Thanks!  Grin

-NyteRayn
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008 07:29:10 AM by jungrrl - Reason: Edited to comply with Craftster guidelines. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Findings, links, tutes, fabrics, news, photos and all other sorts of crafty-type stuff! http://elementalcraft.blogspot.com/
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008 12:49:46 PM »

Martha Stewart always has some great ideas. I'd visit her site for some. Some of the things I've done is dress up a skeleton in a child's pirate costume and set it out with it's hand in a treasure chest full of dabloons (chocolate covered coins) and candy jewelry, necklaces and ring pops.
This year I'm making a set up for my mantle. Instead of a Jack o lantern with a carved face, I'm making a fabric one with a needle sculpted face kinda like the fairy god mother doll I have in the works ( you can see my WIPs in the Toys Discussion thread) with vines and leaves and apothecary or mason jars filled with Halloween candy. I plan to put my witches cauldron in the fireplace. I'm making a silhouette like one I saw for sale in Country Living Magazine, and back lighting it with white Christmas lights for on top of my entertainment center. Let me see if I can find an image of that...
I can't find one, but Country Living has a great archive of their decorating ideas you may want to look at:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Star
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008 01:42:04 PM »

I love the halloween Apothecary jars!
I had gone to the Dollar Tree store the other day,looking for window cleaner and decided to see what they had for Halloween stuff.
I found "creepy" labels for bottles and jars and it gave me the idea to do a whole hospital theme thru out my house.
I'm still working out the ideas and using some horror "hospital" movies for inspiration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blushingbluegrass

Bowl of Petunias: Oh no, not again.

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008 02:38:29 PM »

I was just going to say the same thing about the labels at the Dollar Tree! I bought one pack, but now I have to go back and buy like ten more,..... Everyone wants some! LOL

I am planning on using them to decorate the liquor at my party.... maybe you could also use them to decorate your drink garnishes. For instance, your olives become "eye of newt." Stuff like that....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am the Lorax who speaks for the trees, which you seem to be chopping as fast as you please.

wisting on a star....
Kodama

lost in the forest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008 06:06:47 PM »

Here's some spooky creature jars: http://imakeprojects.com/Projects/halloween-jars/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftoholicthrifterista
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008 08:08:51 PM »

Oh I love the dollar tree. Those labels are really great! Since I'm kinda doing the same thing, Here are Some other things to look out for:

I got me one of those small skelletons and I am going to make a feegee mermaid by wrapping it in ducktape, papier mache and finally snotrag mache for texture. ome stain and doll hair and voila.

ditto for the hand bones - have you heard of the monkey's paw?

since this is an adult party, they have these fabulous ice trays in the shape of skulls that I think are perfect for glow in the dark jiggler shots. look up a jello shot recipe you like double (or tripple) the jello and use tonic water instead of regular water. they will glow under a black light

I am making a cauldron by covering a BIG round ballon (the kind you punch) w/ papier mache. Once finished, I'm gonna give it the Martha Stewart treatment. look in her website for how she sets up a cauldron upon a wreath. it looks great.

www.dadcando.com has a cool instructable on wands very cheap (paper, hot glue,paint)

you also need spell books for your recipes, right? (goodwill, hot glue, paint)

also, a witch needs a good familiar. the dollar store also has these black crows and if you go to wallmart or the party store, you can get these small blinking lights (usually used in champagne flutes at weddings) that you can replace the eyes with.

Ooh the dollar store also has battery operated tealights 2 for a buck which are great for giving that flickering candle look w/o the danger.

can you tell i love the dollar store? for more ideas, don't forget to check out martha stewart's website, you can often modify what she does on the cheap.

oh, you need a broom. and check all the goodwills in your area for cheap cool looking glass jars.

good luck!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
NyteRayn

Hi my name is Jess and I have a crafting problem.

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008 06:11:53 AM »

Oh thank you thank you guys!!! Awesome ideas all around- I'm so excited!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Findings, links, tutes, fabrics, news, photos and all other sorts of crafty-type stuff! http://elementalcraft.blogspot.com/
mirthgoddess
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008 09:08:46 AM »

I had a party with a similar theme a couple of years ago. My theme was "what lurks in the woods" and I made the entryway/dining room into a woods theme, and the living room I made into the inside of a witch's cottage. You can see pictures here:
"outside" forest: http://www.flickr.com/photos/t_wrecks/293807760/in/pool-50733306@N00

"Inside" the witch's cottage:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/t_wrecks/283165602/in/pool-50733306@N00
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirthgoddess/293745374/in/set-72157602848101398/

In the background of this one (behind my funny friends), you can see the cupboard with bottles on it, and a cage with a beany baby dragon in it Smiley : http://www.flickr.com/photos/t_wrecks/283164295/in/pool-50733306@N00
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Javalita
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008 09:18:41 AM »

Someone I know did something fun, not sure how, but I am sure you could figure it out.  They filled tall glass cylindars (like for candles) water.  They used various sized containers and used food coloring to make different colors.  Somehow (Huh) they made them bubble.  Not sure how, but it looked really cool. 

Maybe dry ice would be another idea for these too?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftoholicthrifterista
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008 11:47:35 AM »

...I'm currently living in the perfect house for it, I have all the room (and rooms!) that I could need... I just have to figure out a good way to decorate.

NyteRain, since you have the room, why not have diferent areas w/ different themes. Imagine if the enterprising Mrs. Lovett would have rented a space not only to Mr. Sweeney Todd, but Dr. Frankenstein, Madame Leotta and Madame Lavoe as well...it would make it much easier to diversefy your decore while staying away from the "cutsey"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Composite the Selections in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Use Refine Edge Command in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Quick Selection Tool in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Pen Tool in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Magic Wand Tool in Adobe Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...