A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
400 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP! Fancy yarns will kill me!  (Read 831 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

littlebiskit

no cat anywhere ever gave anyone a straight answer

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 08, 2008 09:33:49 AM »

Okay, so I've acquired (read: not bought, but rather been given) several types of fancier yarn.  Some furry stuff, some with little tags, and some that I think is Lion Home Spun, just kind of wavy?

Really, I'm very novice, and have only crochetted with straight acrylic.  I've been playing with this Lion HomeSpun because I'm in LOVE with the color.  But it's going to be the death of me!  Is there a trick to working with these yarns, other than practice practice practice, and frogging the same 6 rows a zillion times?  I love this yarn, it's pretty and soft, so I'd like to be able to work with it, but I'm so close to resigning myself to using crappy RedHeart Supersaver for the rest of my life.   Sad

Anyone have any miracle tricks for me?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am walking 12 hours straight for my local Relay For Life event.  [a href="http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY11MW?px=16690269&pg=personal&fr_id=30095"]Please support me![/a href] I'm only 40% to my goal! =0(
littlefawnpug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Formally known as missmoppet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008 09:58:09 AM »

I totally understand!  I aquired some skeins of fancy fur yarn.  And have I had a hard time using it.  I love it though so I kept trying.  Im still a newbie with it, but I have learned that its ALOT easier to use fancy fur AND use a very skinny strand of plain yarn (thats similar in color) and crocheting with both those strand together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-I give up on making TOL pendants.  If anyone would like to have my stone chips, wire and ect.  I would gladly trade it all for some knitting/crochet stuff.

-Currently crafting.....A Weasley blanket.  I'd love some squares made from fellow Craftsters.
BabyMarie
Baby's Busy Crocheting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008 11:00:48 AM »

When I'm working with Homespun (though I usually choose not to, my kids love it though) I just use a bigger hook.  My big gold hook is a lifesaver with 'fancy' yarn.  You just have to change the gauge for whatever pattern you're using.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlebiskit

no cat anywhere ever gave anyone a straight answer

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008 11:58:50 AM »

When I'm working with Homespun (though I usually choose not to, my kids love it though) I just use a bigger hook.  My big gold hook is a lifesaver with 'fancy' yarn.  You just have to change the gauge for whatever pattern you're using.

I think I've been using a 'K' hook, which is what the packaging recommends... I think my problem with the homespun is that I sometimes have problems discerning where the correct holes are, because of the waviness of the yarn.  So I just kind of plow through, and then I think I end up skipping stitches. 

Ah well, try try again!

But I will certainly try with a bigger hook.  I've got an 'N' hanging around waiting to be used.   Heeheehee...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am walking 12 hours straight for my local Relay For Life event.  [a href="http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY11MW?px=16690269&pg=personal&fr_id=30095"]Please support me![/a href] I'm only 40% to my goal! =0(
jkaymac
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008 04:15:46 PM »

Right now a lot of the "fancy" yarn has been showing on clearance at Hobby Lobby, so I've been buying it up.  A group of us from work use it to make charity scarfs and hats for a local elementary school.  We cut the yarn in various lengths, then randomly tie different colors and weights together and make a whole new ball of yarn. (I also tie in all of my scraps from other projects.).  Then we use a double strand to make the hats and scarves.  1 strand of the scrap ball yarn and 1 strand of Red Heart Super Saver.  We usually use black or white to offset all of the colors.

Here's a link to the pattern we use. http://www.yarncat.com/ScrapTweedTasselHat.html

I also make huge afghans for my family using the scrap yarn and black.  Hope this helps you out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BabyMarie
Baby's Busy Crocheting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008 07:47:06 AM »

I think I've been using a 'K' hook, which is what the packaging recommends... I think my problem with the homespun is that I sometimes have problems discerning where the correct holes are, because of the waviness of the yarn.  So I just kind of plow through, and then I think I end up skipping stitches. 

Ah well, try try again!

But I will certainly try with a bigger hook.  I've got an 'N' hanging around waiting to be used.   Heeheehee...

Funny thing is my big gold  hook is an 'N'.  I rarely work with it, but when I do projects get done alot faster!  Giant hooks come through in a pinch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarah417
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008 02:18:12 PM »

I totally understand!  I aquired some skeins of fancy fur yarn.  And have I had a hard time using it.  I love it though so I kept trying.  Im still a newbie with it, but I have learned that its ALOT easier to use fancy fur AND use a very skinny strand of plain yarn (thats similar in color) and crocheting with both those strand together.

I completely agree! On my first try using fancy fur, I would have to walk away every dozen stitches out of frustration! It gets easier. I also find that leaving my tension a little less tight helps too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
clrowi
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008 04:23:56 PM »

I am a newbie trying this "chunky" type yarn for the first time too. Lionbrand homespun, and a brand I picked up at Walmart called Georgia or something. I use my own patterns (after HATING the patterns online for chunky-type yarns) and a large (9mm Canadian) hook. I am REALLY glad I only paid a buck a ball for the stuff though, because it really IS hard to use.

I just had one of those "ah-ha, why didn't I think of this sooner" moments when I read your post. I too, kept losing stitches, but I wouldn't have if I had USED STITCH MARKERS!!! Hmmm

Anyway, I hope you continue to trudge through it. I made a scarf out of my Lionsbrand, and it really is worth the effort, because its so nice and comfy, and a gorgeous colour to boot. And I am onwards and forwards myself, because I just brought home my first ball of eyelash-type yarn a couple hours ago  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CandidCrocheter

<3Live Fast<3Die Pretty<3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008 12:00:55 PM »

i always make sure i'm using a little larger of hook like the others said but also aluminum hooks make homespun crochet like butter. much easier. the plastic ones make me get so frustrated with the stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brookelynne
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008 01:57:22 PM »

I'm having a really similar problem myself, but my problem is, what exactly do I make out of this stuff?! 
I love love love the homespun for hats and scarves, but I've only got three skeins of it...
I have three bathtub sized bins of novelty yarns (verigated chunky stuff, fuzzy lightwieght stuff, stuff with ribbons sticking out of it, glittery stuff)
I don't have more than 4 skeins per color and type, and I've got NO idea what to do with it.
As for working with it, I would have to agree with everyone else on using larger hooks with not a whole lot of tension.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Film History Biography of Ron Mann
Film History Biography of Sam Raimi
Pre-Production Paperwork Part 2/2
Pre-Production Paperwork Part 1/2
The Film Lab - Genre Jam: The Universal Monsters
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...