A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,505
Currently Running With Scissors:
397 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP! I am allergic to blanket that I am making for my husband???  (Read 625 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elociNNicole
Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart-ah-ah-ah

Do what you love. Love what you do.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 08, 2008 08:11:31 AM »

I have been making a blanket for my husband on and off for the past couple weeks and I've come to realize that every time that I work on it, I sneeze a lot and my throat feels tight and somewhat constricted.  I don't know if this is just in my head or if the yarn could be the cause.  I had ordered the yarn from ebay many moons ago and have no information of fiber content or manufacturer.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I am hoping to finish the blanket soon (I am about halfway done) and then try washing it to see if that helps any. 

Other then that, I would gladly take any suggestions on this matter, as I have a lot of the same type of yarn left...  Embarrassed

Thanks!!

This is the blanket that makes me sniffle... and not in the good "tears of joy" way either.   Wink
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008 08:40:51 AM by elociNNicole » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting goal for 2011: knit 500,000 stitches.  24,078/500,000 knit.  I think I'm going to need more yarn...
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008 10:43:37 AM »

Do you have a closeup picture of a strand of the yarn? If it's a boucle type yarn chances are it's a wool and you may be allergic to it. If you are allergic to certain animals it's possible the seller had that type and the dander got into the yarn.
you could also be having a reaction to the material it was packaged in to get to you.

I love the blanket it is quite pretty. If you want to use the rest of the yarn what I'd do is (wearing gloves and a mask) crochet a swatch and try washing it to see what happens. If the swatch makes it out of the washer and dryer ok, then I'd wash the remaining yarn in lingerie bags on gentle before using it again.

I love the colors and hope you can use your yarn again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elociNNicole
Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart-ah-ah-ah

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008 11:01:25 AM »

Its a chenille yarn, so I do know that there is no wool in it.  And as far as I know, I do not have any pet allergies.  Its pretty mind boggling and I tried contacting the seller to find out where she gets this stuff and who manufactures it and (no surprise) she won't give me the information. 

Thanks for the advice, I will try washing and drying a small swatch and hopefully everything will work out!!  (I wont be able to do this today or tomorrow as my hubby will be home soon and I had to hide it all away again... teehee)

sorry for the not-very-close closeup, our digital camera isn't the best and it shows fuzzy if i get any closer.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting goal for 2011: knit 500,000 stitches.  24,078/500,000 knit.  I think I'm going to need more yarn...
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008 11:24:16 AM »

My guess since it's chenille and therefore probably acrylic is that you may be allergic to a chemical on the yarn itself. I have a similar problem with red heart and some lion brand yarns.
Like I said I'd wear a mash and gloves to be safe if you must work with it unwashed. And definetely wash the blanket when you are done with it. Also wash the swatch as mentioned above.
Some sellers of yarn ship their items with a dryer sheet to make them smell nice if she/he did that then that could be what you are allergic to as well.
Hopefully the swatch will wash just fine and you can wash your yarn and it will fix the problem.
*crossing my fingers for you*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitting_nyxxie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008 11:29:10 AM »

I don't know but from what I can tell it looks like the Lion Brand Chenille. And I belive it is 100% acrylic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Are you in Middle TN Join us TN Craftsters!
Wist
mommycrochets
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008 11:38:41 AM »

MAybe take some allergy med before working on it also
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008 12:08:44 PM »

Welcome to the wonderful world of "How on EARTH could I be allergic to 100% acrylic yarn???"  For me it's Bernat Softee Chunky (as well as my mom's couch... the comfortable one, to boot!)

I only get a rash on my hands from my allergy, which I've avoided somewhat by using those little stretchy gloves you can get at the dollar store with a few choice finger tips cut off (because I have absurdly long fingers).  I also use prescription Prevex B to take the rash away, as it also leaves a protective film on my hands, which helps a lot.  There is a non-prescription version, just called "Prevex" which does the film thing as well.

For your breathing problems, I'm thinking a mask might help.  I know I'd try it if I were in your place.  Though, test to see if it leaves lines on your face... if you're trying to make this blanket without your hubby noticing, you don't want him asking why you have lines on your face. ^_-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlefawnpug

Formally known as missmoppet

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008 05:53:30 AM »

Oh, Im 99% sure that its definatly Lion brand chenille Thick and Quick.  I have some skeins of it that I got at a yard sale.  ( i paid 25 cents for 8 skeins and the lables are still on them!!! Grin Yeah, an awesome bargain!!!)  And, one of the skeins is that same purple color!  I also have a red that looks just the other color you used in blanket.  I got out my skein and stared and it and the closeup to posted and it looks identical.  The label says:
Lion brand chenille Thick and Quick
91% acrylic 9% rayon
handwash warm, gently squeeze, lay flat to dry
(and alot of other stuff but, the main thing youd need to know I typed above.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-I give up on making TOL pendants.  If anyone would like to have my stone chips, wire and ect.  I would gladly trade it all for some knitting/crochet stuff.

-Currently crafting.....A Weasley blanket.  I'd love some squares made from fellow Craftsters.
elociNNicole

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008 02:11:53 PM »

Thank You all so much for your ideas and input.  This is just too bizarre.  I don't know if its the thick n quick yarn because it really isn't very thick (or quick for that matter  Wink ) and its totally smashed and not the nice round pile (?) like I've seen at most fabric stores (yet another regret of buying yarn on eBay  Cry but that's a whole other topic...)  It also came in "baby cake" form and not the norm skein form. 

WOW... 25cents.. i think I'd suffer through almost anything for that deal... ha-ha

Thankfully, I don't get a rash or itchy.  Just the sniffles, a little throat tightness and a little bit of a headache after using it.  I'm going to try the mask while using it and also the tip of making up a small swatch and then washing and drying it to see if that helps. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting_nyxxie

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008 06:42:07 AM »

I am allergic to mohair so when I make something with it I usually knit outside and that helps a lot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Are you in Middle TN Join us TN Craftsters!
Wist
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon G10 Getting Started: Part 2 - Basic Picture
Canon G10 Getting Started: Part 1 - Setup
Canon A650 IS: Getting Started
Canon A610/A620: Set White Balance Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Underwater Function
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...