A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote for your favorite Bottle It Up project now! Smiley
Total Members: 302,459
Currently Running With Scissors:
419 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: knit graffiti- plz help with my dilemma! *UPDATED!*  (Read 6440 times)
Tags for this thread: graffiti  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SuzukiBeane33
« on: September 07, 2008 07:10:46 PM »

The mouse is back!

I decided to put the mouse up right around the corner on a gate in the alley.  I'm still a little nervous since the gate belongs to a restaurant I frequent all the time- I hope all the kitchen crew like it, since it's out by their dumpsters!  I'm a little scared they will hate it  Roll Eyes  I should have taken a picture with a wider frame, but anyway, here's a close-up of the new location!

Here's my original post:

I had a strange experience recently after putting up my last knit graffiti piece, and I'd really like to get everyone's take on it.  Here's what happened:

I thought that it would be really cute to make a little mouse and sew it to the drainpipe on the side of the building I live in.

Here is a closer shot:

After the mouse had been up on the wall for a few days, someone wrote next to it "9-11 was an inside job."  The side of the building has never been graffitied on before, so it seemed like my graffiti was spawning more, only it wasn't the pretty kind.  Luckily the words were in chalk so they wiped off easily, but I didn't want to wait around for the building to get spraypainted.  Especially because my good friend's dad is the landlord, and I wouldn't ever want to contribute to his building getting ruined in any way.  So I ended up taking the mouse down, and there has been nothing on the wall since.

I just wanted to share the experience to get other people's take on this.  I mean, I still think that seeing an unexpected knit cozy makes the world happy enough to be worth it.  But what do you think about the possibility that putting up a cozy could spawn other types of graffiti?  I have so many thoughts, and I'd like to hear yours...  Has anyone else had something similar happen?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008 07:53:59 AM by SuzukiBeane33 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I am invisible, he thinks often.  And Exempt.  Immunity has been granted to me, for I do not lose my cool.  Polarity is selected at will, for I am not ionized and I possess not valence."
-Richard Farina, "Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me"

www.baltimorediy.blogspot.com
honeyfresh
sleepiest kitten

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008 07:24:21 PM »

I think knit graffiti is a fantastic idea. perhaps you should place him in a busier place that's less likely to suffer from your mousy, somewhere more in the open with no buildings to write on. maybe around a street sign that you pass by often.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

narhloki
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008 07:25:47 PM »

I find it strange that something so cute would encourage the less appealing graffiti.

Your little mouse looks so happy up there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maguro
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008 07:32:49 PM »

Your mouse is just too cute...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008 01:42:37 PM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

eye.heart.art

big, fat AND delicious!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008 07:33:50 PM »

I love your mouse!  As for the dilemma, I feel that a blank wall is more enticing to a person than a mouse.  Also I think it was a random coincident because the other graffiti was in chalk.  Who does graffiti in chalk???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Help me get naked in Greece! LunaGrrrl.Etsy.com
ducktape_diva

Book'em good-lookin'

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008 07:57:28 PM »

Personally, I'd love to see this little guy around. Question, what kind of yarn lasts longer in a graffitti piece?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008 08:31:48 PM »

I'm going to venture a guess and say that the two were unrelated.  I  mean, we call it knit grafitti, but if I was milling about a building and saw a pole that had been... cozied... I think the word "grafitti" would be very far from my mind.  I would assume it was a strange sort of lawn ornament- which I guess it kind of is.  Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avian Flight
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008 09:40:34 PM »

I agree with camoovas in that knit grafitti is more like a cozy or decoration. It's not harmful. Whereas a political message like the one that was written in chalk can be harmful.

In regards to your incident. They were probably taking advantage of the fact that your piece is eye catching and they wanted people to see their message. =(
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008 01:43:54 PM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
wakeupdonnie
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008 12:01:30 AM »

Your graffiti is so cute! I don't think they were related <3
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008 01:44:49 PM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maggielove
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008 05:33:23 AM »

Wow, knitting Graffiti is an awesome idea, though I see it more as "site specific art installation" rather than Graffiti, as your work requires more effort and planning than most graffiti
If I saw something like that it would make me smile for the rest of the day. i think the additional chalk comment was probably just a way of bringing more attention to your work.
Keep it up, you could be as famous as Banksy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog
http://maggie-makes-stuff.blogspot.com/
Come and join my bid for world craft domination
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rules for Playing Beer Pong
Playing Beer Pong
No Opponent in Backgammon
Bearing in to Win a Race in Backgammon
Bearing in to Save Gammon in Backgammon
Latest Blog Articles
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags
Whatz Up, My Peeps?

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...