A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
638 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Embroidery hoop screen printing?  (Read 3136 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alli123
« on: September 07, 2008 06:31:43 PM »

Hi! So for a embroidery hoop screen printing, i am using regualr white fabric to make my screen. My design keeps coming out really splotchy.. do i need to use like a panty-hose type fabric?
Thanks,
Allison
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitting_nyxxie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008 05:47:42 AM »

I have not tried this yet but my understanding is something like panty-hose material.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Are you in Middle TN Join us TN Craftsters!
Wist
FJ
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008 02:37:24 PM »

What do you mean regular white material?   Is it like a polyester mesh - looks like the stuff that shear curtains are made out of?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alli123
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008 02:44:28 PM »

no i was using like cotton..
right now i'm using panty hose, but its really hard to paint on the modge podge (i tend to work with what i have :])
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FJ
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008 03:04:29 PM »

Yeah - cotton will not work at all.  I think hose are hard to use because they are too stretchy.  You need to get some poly mesh. Any fabric store will have it but I can't think of what it is called or you can go to a thrift and look for some shear curtains and use them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
myowngoddess

Where are those scissors...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008 05:52:40 AM »

at college all the silk screens are made with a fine silk fabric (hence the name i think?  Wink )
try habotai or some kind of silk blend. if money is an issue just use something with a very fine weave. that might be why its coming out splotchy.
hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JillBoBill
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008 09:45:20 AM »

I think we must have just read the same tutorial - lol!

I just got done doing this (poor man's silk screening for those of us that don't have $50 to spend on a hobby start-up).

I had a stretched canvas (for painting), but I hated the absorbent gesso that was on it, so I RIPPED the canvas out and stretched a pair of old panty hose of the board; stapled around the back.

Be really careful with your hose not getting snagged on wood and be sure to secure it quite tightly around the back.

It is HARD and it takes a long time to get the filler (in your case Modge Podge) onto the screen completely. Just take your time. I did mine while I watched the debates last night Wink

You won't get a lot of detail this way because you're having to paint on the filler so don't go for some nutso design. I let my screen dry over night and then used it this morning with fantastalistic results.

Rinse your screen LIGHTLY under warmish water and let it sit to dry completely before you use it again just to make sure your Modge Podge isn't going to rewet.

Plus, it was free. All I had to buy that I didn't already have laying around was the fabric to print on.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kanhoro

Xander of Wolven-Knit~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008 12:53:06 PM »

well whenever it becomes splochy one of the reasons for me is the spacing for the ink to go through( maybe a bit tighter weave) and sometimes i might need to thin the ink out just a tiny bit but not too liquidy, i think i read somewhere about thinning a certin type of paint using salt like a few granuals, but not sure if its talking about fabric paint.
edit ahha i found it http://jezzeblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/tech-update.html
here is the site where i used, to learn how to do it at home.

http://community.livejournal.com/craftgrrl/3674467.html

http://www.threadbanger.com/post/490/diy-screen-printing-how-to
there are many other places too, but i hope it goes well, good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Denise Jaden Talks About Losing Faith
Jason Mattera Reveals His Favorite Movie
Zebrafish Book Trailer
Ellen Crosby Talks About The Viognier Vendetta
Meet Media Personality Tavis Smiley
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...