A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,540
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is mohair interchangeable with anything?  (Read 535 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

judifruit
« on: February 18, 2005 11:37:35 AM »

I really wanted to make this gorgeous throw, called Mohair Roses, from a book.  Unfortunately, after a mock order at Herrschners all the yarn would total over $110. (and that's with the cheapest mohair blends I could find)   Undecided  Not exactly in my budget for one project, you know? 

I know the mohair is what makes this throw and the roses look so soft and beautiful, but do any of the veterans have tips on how to get over this hump?  I know, you get what you pay for...so is this just a suck-it-up-and-pay situation?

Thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeppyCat
I've never licked a spark plug.

www.beppycat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005 01:42:13 PM »

you could, and this is a complicated solution, but maybe you don't mind, go to the thrift store and find mohair blend sweaters, i find them all the time, and take them apart to recycle the yarn.  You can dye them, I've used koolaid just fine on mohair from sweaters, they'd have to be light colored of course, but I've even done it to light blue angora and it's worked fine.  And then, because the yarn in sweaters is always so fine, you could run it along with a sport weight of normal yarn in the right color.  That way you'd get the fuzziness of mohair, but less expense.  This might be too complicated of course, considering that you'd need a few sweaters at least, not sure what the yarn requirements for your project are.  Anyway, it's a suggestion, and a few dollars for a sweater's worth of mohair is pretty good compared to the thirteen dollar pricetag on skeins of just a few ounces of mohair.
I did this for my godmother's Christmas present.  I'm kicking myself for not taking pics, but I made a scarf from what was the equivilant of one sleeve of a angora blend sweater I bought for two dollars.  Just out of curiosity, I checked some prices, and angora is about 12 dollars for a half an ounce of yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And I don't look good in leggings.

http://beppycat.blogspot.com/
Lurkers and commentors welcome.
Lots of crocheting and sewing and knitting!  Pretty much my life for your consumption.
MopTopStumptown
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005 04:28:00 PM »

I'm kicking myself for not taking pics, but I made a scarf from what was the equivilant of one sleeve of a angora blend sweater I bought for two dollars. Just out of curiosity, I checked some prices, and angora is about 12 dollars for a half an ounce of yarn.

Ack, I'm kicking myself for not knowing that trick! I bought 3 skeins of Jolie yarn (beautiful stuff, it was lovely to work with)... that stuff is 70% angorra, and 30% french merino.  I paid $14.25 for each skein... my sister got the most beautiful scarf I've ever made.  It was like wearing a cloud.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Simple Baby Booties Part 4/7
How to Crochet Simple Baby Booties Part 1/7
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 9/19
How to Crochet People Holding Hands Borders
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 8/19
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...