A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,084
Currently Running With Scissors:
521 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fused plastic Apple bag!  (Read 1903 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

a11is0n
« on: September 06, 2008 09:52:16 AM »

Hi!  I'm new here, but I've browsed around the last few days after I read the Etsylabs fusing plastic bag tutorial (which I found while trying to find t-shirt reconstruction tutorials).  I wanted to make a bag, and saw the word "apple" and thought it'd be cute, but what image came up first on Google's image search but... the Apple logo! Cheesy

The red outline bags are a Social Apparel bag my roommate had sandwiched between two white bags - I messed up on the back because I forgot to flip the pattern over before I cut it out Roll Eyes The front is a few white bags under a Giant Eagle bag ("Recycling is always in season."), and the back is a white bag under a Target bag under another Giant Eagle bag.  I only used 3-4 layers on each, but I had a sucky iron so maybe that's why it didn't burn holes into it?  I wanted to fuse the inner apple onto the outer apple, but it didn't work very well and the edges kept coming off, so I just topped off all four surfaces with a layer of clear packaging tape.  Then... I stitched it together by hand (I'm very bad at that Sad)  It's not really a "bag" but it does fit my iPod Touch, as you can see in the last picture ^^
I'm thinking of adding small handles or something... What do you think?  I've never done anything like this before, usually I just do scrapbooking/card stuff and... spruce up my school projects (while completely neglecting the actual content Grin)  I didn't really think about how I was going to do it this time, I just ironed bags and cut out Apples... I think next I'm going to actually plan out a small bag made to fit my phone, iPod and keys Smiley
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011 05:46:42 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kahldria
There is something sedatingly seductive, about a skillful pair of hands.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008 03:59:02 AM »

Welcome to Craftster! Smiley

I think your bag is too cute, and I love the cherry blossoms. The hand stitching you did was great in my opinion, I know it's not easy sewing through that material! You did a great job, especially on the fly like that. I like to do that too, you can find some cool new ideas that way!
   I would probably put a handle on it myself, maybe a big fat green worm? I just thought that would be cute, attached by his head (like he's biting it,) and his tail (maybe looped like he's grabbing it.) Do you know how to knit, or crotchet? That might be a cool way to make it, assuming you even liked the idea! If you don't, there is always pipe cleaners! Maybe some little "google eyes" you know, those little plastic eyes? You could even get fancy and make it out of beads, and if you wanted to stay with your recycled theme you could use reclaimed/vintage beads to make the worm.

I love your project, and bonus points for recycling! I am sure you will love Craftster,  I sure do. The community here is really great, and supportive. Good luck!

Feel free to ignore me if my ideas don't sound good to you, I tend to get fuzzy sometimes in my grey matter when it comes to the excitement of crafty-goodness!!! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would much rather invest in the lost trades of all the handmade skill left in our society, than feed the blood-soaked steel teeth of the reckless, greed consumed monsters (you know who you are) devouring what's left of this rare, and precious Earth.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Understand Different Camera Variations
How to Capture Creative Ideas
How to Work with Fill in and Natural Light
How to Work with a Back Light
How to Work Within a Photographic Group
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet
Laundry Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...