A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,165
Currently Running With Scissors:
376 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cute little bag with shooting star :)  (Read 1167 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

annoyinglittlegirl
« on: September 06, 2008 08:13:47 AM »

I made this little bag this afternoon, I intend to use it for going to clubs and stuff, since I usually end up lugging around a bag that is far bigger than it needs to be. This bag is just big enough for my purse, phone, a few little bits of make up, etc.
I mostly used this tutorial, except I added straps too: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=22875.msg187145

Action shot (sorry for the terrible photos, as usual. I really should start taking photos in a different room, my bedroom has rubbish lighting):

Front of bag:

Close up of the shooting star embroidery:

This is sort of my first try at embroidery, apart from the odd bit of cross stitch from a kit. I just used backstitch and running stitch, I didn't feel like trying to learn any new stitches just yet!
I used metallic thread for the sparkles, you can't really tell in the pictures.

Lining (you might recognise this fabric if you saw the messenger bag I made a few weeks ago):

Full of stuff:

The strap is probably a little bit long actually, but it's still not quite as long as it appears in the picture. It's just a bit of cordy stuff I found at Hobbycraft, I hate making straps and turning them inside out SOOO much that I'm trying to find alternatives Smiley

I hope you like it, comments are VERY much appreciated, as usual Cheesy

Becca
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please visit my vegetarian cookery blog Smiley views, comments and FB likes are ALWAYS appreciated!

www.amuse-your-bouche.blogspot.com
spotnik
Where did I put my pliers this time???

It's my cheese!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008 08:22:56 AM »

I love it!  (And I love your belt, too!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annoyinglittlegirl
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008 12:27:42 PM »

Haha thank you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please visit my vegetarian cookery blog Smiley views, comments and FB likes are ALWAYS appreciated!

Laoma
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008 12:34:48 PM »

Ohh I love the lining fabric you used!
and you look like you know how to sew in zippers well.
I hate zippers, their evil and hate me >.<

Very cute though!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miaka
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008 01:24:40 PM »

That's really cute Cheesy (and I love your belt *lol*)

Btw, you don't have to turn straps inside out... when making straps I make the piece of fabric 4times as wide as i want to strap to be, fold it in half and press. Then I open it again, fold the edges to the middle and turn again.
In the end it should be folded/pressed like this:

Then I just stitch both edges (I want it to be symmetric, you can also just stich the open side) and it's done =) Quite easy and almost fun, actually ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annoyinglittlegirl
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008 02:44:44 PM »

Ohh I love the lining fabric you used!
and you look like you know how to sew in zippers well.
I hate zippers, their evil and hate me >.<

Very cute though!!

Zips are easy once you know how! The tutorial I used (the link's in my original post) shows you how to make a pouch like this REALLY simply, give it a go - once you've got the hang of them they're fine Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annoyinglittlegirl
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008 02:46:14 PM »

That's really cute Cheesy (and I love your belt *lol*)

Btw, you don't have to turn straps inside out... when making straps I make the piece of fabric 4times as wide as i want to strap to be, fold it in half and press. Then I open it again, fold the edges to the middle and turn again.
In the end it should be folded/pressed like this:
http://minority.miaka-online.de/tuts/tasche/03.png[/img]
Then I just stitch both edges (I want it to be symmetric, you can also just stich the open side) and it's done =) Quite easy and almost fun, actually ^^

Thanks Smiley
I have tried making a strap like that in the past, but I didn't seem to be able to line it up properly so the edge was a little bit wobbly... and I'm a perfectionist (when I can be bothered haha) so that bothered me slightly... but I still agree it is far preferable to having to turn thin strips inside out! Smiley
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008 07:07:55 AM by jungrrl - Reason: Please don't quote images - thanks! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sweeping Fringe Makeover
Sun-kissed Style Hair Makeover
Natural Glossy Hair Makeover
Vintage Style Makeup Makeover
Short Hair Styling Makeover
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...