A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 304,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
485 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone know anything about my (old lemair) machine?  (Read 7694 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

interfacer
« on: September 06, 2008 01:35:10 AM »

It's a lemair-helvetia model number is SZA-708-BH (click below for picture)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3082/2831955899_44d79ed7a1.jpg

I inherited this machine from a family friend last year but haven't had enough room to set it up and play with it until last week. So far everything seems to be working fine, although the tension dial doesn't seem to do much, only adjusting the tension on the bobbin seems to make any difference. It has all these 'cams' you can switch out for fancy stitches, and an automatic buttonholer function that i have absolutely no idea how to use, despite reading the instructions about a million times.

I haven't really sewn anything since high school, but I want to get back into it and start making some of my own clothes. My main question is, do you think an old machine like this is ok for a beginner like me, or will I need to upgrade to a new machine soon? Also, it didn't come with any feet except the general sewing one and a couple of weird attachments. Can I buy other feet that I can use on this machine in a store?

I really hope one of you has used one of this brand before. It's really hard to find info about them online.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008 09:06:58 AM »

I have never heard of that brand before. Stylisticly it looks to be late 60's early 70's- a good period for sewing machines Smiley

Having the manual is a huge bonus! Just try folloing the steps slowly & carefully & you'll get buttonholes eventually.

It looks to take the Singer striaght shank compatible feet, that's good because this means there are tons of feet out there you can use.

I think it is a GREAT machine for a beginner!! Learn how to maintain it and it should serve you well for a good long time Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
interfacer
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008 07:57:31 PM »

Thanks Penlowe!

It's hard to know what you need when you're just starting out. I've always used my mum's machine, which has a free arm (a lot easier in my opinion) but I think I can do without.

I had a more indepth look at the foot situation last night and after a bit of comparing and googling I'm pretty sure it's a 'low shank' kind so hopefully I won't have too much trouble finding feet to fit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
baybloorman
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009 03:22:09 PM »

I think the Lemair Helvetia sewing machines were made by Brother Corporation in Japan.  They are excellent machines -- at least mine is.  I have the identical machine -- I mean it looks exactly the same -- and I believe it is "the same only different" ... different name, that is.   Mine is a Brother Sewing Machine - Model 211.   I can take a photo if you'd like to see it.

You mention the Instruction Booklet.  Would you be able to scan the pages and/or photocopy them?   Or at least a few of them?  I have an Instruction Booklet but it is badly damaged and some of the pages have stuck together.   I've tried separating them with hot water but have ripped a few of them.    If you can help, I'll  tell you what pages I really need.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lisa Lutz Reveals Her Previous Occupations
Terrie M. Williams Talks About Black Pain
Kate Torgovnick Reveals Her Favorite TV Show
The Dangers of Deceiving a Viscount Book Trailer
One Great Truth Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...