A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,083
Currently Running With Scissors:
511 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cupcake Bag, and Obama tee  (Read 3402 times)
Tags for this thread: barack_obama  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Argonkitten

Y'see, madness, as you know, is like gravity.

View Profile WWW
« on: September 05, 2008 09:20:58 PM »

So I decided on a whim to give the whole freezer paper thing a try, and knew exactly what two projects I wanted to try with.

First off I did this stencil, I found online (so if it's yours and I didn't know please tell me, because I adore it).

It turns out that the cheap shirt I put it on, was ill fitting. Which is disappointing, since I bought two. (they were two for $5 at JoAnns, but apparently an adult Large is actually more like an adult Small in the arm areas? grr.) So it was time to Tim Gunn 'Make it WorkTM' and I decided to turn it into a cute tote!

It's a bit sloppy, because I didn't put tons of forethought into how I was putting it together. But I rather prefer it that way. If my mom had done it, it would be impeccable to the core, but I'm happy with how it turned out. The straps are the black of the tee shirt (it looks blue in the pictures, but it's actually black) and the pink flannel of the interior, one strap with the black facing out, and the other with the pink facing out. I constructed a small pocket on the inside.

For the lining I used this obnoxiously pink flannel that my mom had scraps of in the basement. (I think it was originally doll pajama pants flannel, but now it's inside of a tote.)

If I had it to do again, I'd slow down and think it through better, but there is a good chance it would still turn out the same. (tee hee) I was in a rush because I was so mad about it not fitting. I was so proud of how it turned out that I was devastated I couldn't wear it. I still love it as a purse though.

The other project I cranked out last night I am even more intensely proud of. (a) because I love using the freezer paper, I've never done it that way before and it was soooooooo easy!!! and (b) because I've been wanting to do this design for a while now, and it makes me giggle.

Without getting (too) political let me just say I'm a liberal democrat, and thus support Barack Obama. Another note about me is that I'm an improv comedian, and love clever tee shirts. So after I decided to make this shirt I began to see it elsewhere and namely at the Second City Toronto (a famous improv comedy theater), as the name of their current comedy show.

So without further stalling for time.......

Yay! Same as above, I used freezer paper to help with the design. I used whatever paint I had around (I think it was acrylic, so who knows how long the design will last, but I can re do it with better paint if need be). The paint was white, so the red and blue are fabric markers over the paint.

For more information on what on earth Second City is, feel free to consult http://secondcity.com/?id=theatres/toronto

Comments and criticism welcome. Thanks for looking!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

quis custodiet ipsos custodes

=^..^=
Katie
gdeeaz
Look at me, Look at me, Driving and I won't stop, And it feels so good to be Alive and on top, My reach is global, My tower secure, My cause is noble, My power is pure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008 09:41:33 PM »

I hate those shirts from Joann sometimes they fit sometimes they dont! lol but i really like the bag and i love love love the shirt. WOOHOO OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artist.nerd.musiclover
wanna-be graphic designer

"Peace, love, and math!" ~David Krumholtz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008 09:58:46 PM »

I likey the Obama t-shirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

santacruzsugar
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008 10:08:24 PM »

i love that cupcake saying!

i totally want to make a lunch bag with it on there.

way cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kew1141
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008 10:09:24 PM »

be careful that cup cake design is from jonny cupcakes and I'm sure they have copywright on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teddi85
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008 10:44:25 PM »

Ok...seriously....I love these....seriously
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd rather do it full-tilt for a little while than half-way forever. -Janis Joplin
OmJane
-Tanya [tawn-yuh]

clickity clack.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008 11:47:10 PM »

ive made the cupcake one before too, i love it. i did brown paint on a pink tie-dye. great choices.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog: Flour and Fleece

"On the contrary, it is you who are crazy to think that you are mighty because you can wound and destroy. That is the task of children. The mighty know how to create and heal."
katiekutthroat
one sassy southern crafter.. not for the easily offended

Thin line between adorable and appalling!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008 12:12:22 AM »

i love them.. so amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Argonkitten

Y'see, madness, as you know, is like gravity.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008 05:47:51 PM »

be careful that cup cake design is from jonny cupcakes and I'm sure they have copywright on it.

ayyyy thank you for telling me, I was leery since it was online, but didn't have any clear crediting to it...... bummer since it's so adorable.....

ive made the cupcake one before too, i love it. i did brown paint on a pink tie-dye. great choices.

you didn't get in any trouble from jonny cupcakes for using their design did you??? I'd love those colors together though.  Smiley

I hate those shirts from Joann sometimes they fit sometimes they dont!

never again dude. seriously. I've learned my lesson. I'm always making mistakes like that, thinking I'm saving money and being thrifty and actually somehow wasting money.

thanks for the feedback, all!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

quis custodiet ipsos custodes

=^..^=
Katie
OmJane
-Tanya [tawn-yuh]

clickity clack.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008 09:21:14 PM »

you didn't get in any trouble from jonny cupcakes for using their design did you??? I'd love those colors together though.  Smiley
well, no. and i wear it all the time. i dont think youd have a problem unless you were trying to sell them. what are they going to say?
"give me your shirt, thats right, right off your back! you stole my design, RAWR!!!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog: Flour and Fleece

"On the contrary, it is you who are crazy to think that you are mighty because you can wound and destroy. That is the task of children. The mighty know how to create and heal."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Red Plasticine
How to Make White Slime
How to Make Homemade Playdough
How to Make Edible Playdough
How to Make Plasticine
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...