A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 305,021
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quick 'n dirty vegan snacks?  (Read 3111 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

olive_juice
« on: September 05, 2008 08:41:04 PM »

I'm always on the prowl for new snack recipes (maybe that means i should cut back on snacking... hmm.), and i thought i'd share some of my tried-and-true healthy vegan snacks and was hoping everyone else would like to contribute, too.

I'm on a really big chickpea kick right now, so i like to either eat 'em cooked (read:out of the can), rinsed and drained with a little tony's (creole seasoning, for the uninitiated), or roasted in the oven at about 350 until they're nice and crispy... like dried peas! Num num! It takes about 30-45 minutes in my oven, and i give 'em a good shake every now and again. Curry powder and salt is always a good combo, and again with the tony's. I'm pretty sure they keep for a while, but they're never around long enough for me to find out.   Cheesy

Since it's still summer for a bit longer or maybe a lot longer... the hurricane still has our weather all screwed up down here.... i also like to do some frozen fruits cut into the necessary portions. Bananas look kind of weird frozen and never *quite* solidify but i like the texture; grapes are good to go as is but i think they need a bit of defrosting first.

And there are few things that make me feel better than a veggie-n-hummus plate.

So i guess i don't have that many snack ideas that don't really delve into the category of tiny meal. You know, like half a pb&j doesn't really count as a typical snack food. It's more like half of a lunch food...

So does anyone have any really good snack ideas to share? Because i must insist that you share!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy.com
lemonader
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008 11:30:15 AM »

I'm pretty sure they keep for a while, but they're never around long enough for me to find out.   Cheesy

They really, REALLY don't. I'll spare you the gross story, but suffice to say that it took a lot of bleach and dish soap to make me feel safe using the container again.

I like plain veggies... carrots, cucumber pieces... I also like to bring nuts to snack on, or granola bars... I eat nearly constantly so I always have food on me. Cut up fruit is a great snack, or even blended into a smoothie... my grocery store also sells vegan chocolate and raspberry mini-muffins which are great. They're geared towards kids going to schools with food allergy restrictions, so they have no nuts, no dairy, no egg, and I think they're gluten-free. I keep them in the freezer and pull out one to pop into my lunches. It thaws pretty quickly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
doglvr123
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008 06:11:07 PM »

hummus and crackers  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Insert witty remark here
darksidevegan
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008 09:25:14 PM »

I normally go for tortilla chips and salsa or bean dip, frozen fruit, Nori Maki (a type of asian rice cracker), hummus and pitas, fresh fruit,  kimchi (make sure it doesn't have anchovies!), frozen garlic bread, frozen pot stickers, and frozen bean and rice burritos... that's all I can think of right now, I'm sure there's more though as I like to snack on a variety of things.

Also, on the chickpea subject, I like to make mock tuna salad and use it for sandwiches or on saltines. Yum!

Here's my recipe for mock tuna salad for those who haven't made it before!
http://krisaki.wordpress.com/2008/06/11/mock-tuna-salad/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.krisaki.wordpress.com
Bento. Fashion. Crafts.

buy clothing, purses, and accesories from me at
sweetheart.etys.com
JMLinWNY
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008 11:22:12 AM »

Hi! This is my first post here ... 
I'm Julie.
I'm not a veg or vegan, but I am trying very hard to eat healthy & cut out alot of the additives in all the prepared foods & esp. HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP ....  ugh!!

I tend to eat a few small smeals a day when I can rather than larger more traditional meals.

I love half a toasted bagel with peanut butter or even better peanut butter & fresh fruit smooshed on top.

drain cans of chick peas, olives & mash with a fork. add a little vinigar & scoop onto celery wedges.

whole wheat crakers with homemade jelly

whole wheat cous cous with mixed steamed veggies

THIS ROCKS   Logged
franzilovescats
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008 06:18:24 PM »

banana slices covered in peanut butter. sooo yum. even yummier if you put it on the micro for 15 sec. the bananas get soft and warm. mmmmm its my favorite thing ever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
darksidevegan
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008 07:20:14 PM »

I know I put "frozen fruit" in my first post, but I have to add that I've been eating a lot of frozen grapes lately and they are fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.krisaki.wordpress.com
Bento. Fashion. Crafts.

buy clothing, purses, and accesories from me at
sweetheart.etys.com
madamx
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008 02:57:57 PM »

I have to agree with Franzilovescats, Banana & peanut butter is the business I especially enjoy it with chunky peanut butter. Another of my favorite and pretty healthy snack is tomato or mushroom bruschetta made with vegan friendly bread ofcourse. I like gluten free, wheat free, dairy free, egg free crispy bread. Yum yum.

M.x
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olive_juice
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008 04:01:53 PM »

Man, i've been neglecting this post!

darksidevegan, that mock tuna salad looks good! I'm going to have to make some, next time ANY of my local grocery stores decide to stock chickpeas. Every single grocery store here (which is only three, but still) has been out of chickpeas for over a month now, and i'm getting irritated.  Sad  But aren't frozen grapes delicious? Such a cool texture.

JMLinWNY, congrats on the first post! All those sound good. I never thought to just smush fruit on top of stuff instead of jelly. Must remember to try that... Definitely healthier.

and bananas covered in peanut butter? I'm prone to eating peanut butter and banana sandwiches from time to time, but never thought of it by itself.

My new favorite snack option,\ given the new semi-cold fall weather is just to make up a big batch of soup at the beginning of the week and eat a half a bowl here and there. I make a mean taco soup, and even my non veg friends start asking for it as soon as we get that first cold snap. :.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy.com
missmuffcake

Spicy but sweet!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008 09:14:59 PM »

I love popcorn with a dash of hot sauce!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's more to life than books you know
                But not much more
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hermes Opens Two More Factories For High Demand Products
What To Wear: Maxi Dresses
Hilary Rhoda Models the Best of Fall 2013
Beyoncé: Behind the Scenes
When Fashion Attacks: Doutzen Kroes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...