A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,370
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Does anyone think this is possible? - Transformer-style Toy  (Read 534 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Colorfully_Cayenne
The Queen of Obsessions

And I love like I live; passionately.

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2009 01:49:54 PM »

Alright. So, yesterday, I was busily not-doing the homework I intended up staying up late that night to finish, when an (amazing) idea occurred to me.

What I'd like to know is if anyone here has ever A) seen something successful like this or B) smarter than me and/or more able to easily visualize things and can tell me if they think this could work.

So, the idea that immediately came to mind was Harry Potter dolls - namely, Rita Skeeter, Sirius Black, James Potter, and Professor Minerva McGonagall. What do these four very different characters have in common? They're all animagis. And maybe we could throw in Remus and his animal-changing-into-powers, too.

Anyway, what I was wondering if you think it'd be possible to make, say, a Sirius doll that can turn into his wolf form? The idea for me was that you've got a posable doll, right? And then, say, you pull his cloak strings or something, and do a little flipping, and then you've got his doggy side out. The only way I can think to do this is to have, say, opening the cloak strings showing a whole in his neck, and you turn him inside out, and the inside is his doggy self!

Basically, I'm sorry if this is confusing, because I don't really understand what I'm saying myself. Thanks to anyone who's taken the time to slog through this description and try and help my poor, lost soul.

Thanks a gazillion;

---Cayenne
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In progress; Serenity Pillow Case, One Block Wonder, Cross-Stitch Baby Quilt, Retro Dress, Beach Mosaic.

"Oh yeah, hidin' up the Shepherd's skirts, that's a manful scheme."
"You wanna run this ship?!"
"Yes!"
"Well y-...you can't!"
N30Nb100d
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009 03:32:38 PM »

I've actually seen these but usually they're women that turn into other women, men, or humanoid animals. You flip their skirts over their heads and the other doll faces the opposite direction (if that makes sense). I googled "reversible doll" and got a number of examples.
How I visualize it from your description: you would have to make an animal and a person, both with openings, sew them together opening to opening and flip so one hides inside the other.
It's possible if the doll is made of cloth because then it can squish... The doll could turn inside out somewhere like the whole back (so there's more room for flipping) especially if the back is covered by a cloak or fur in the animal form. you can always have some Velcro to shut the opening and make it less visible.
I don't know if it would be possible to do with a doll made out of something other than cloth, but I hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ostera15
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009 03:45:45 PM »

I know I've seen this done before in retail, can't think of specific examples right now except for popples (stuffie that turned into a ball) maybe if you could find some of the retail ones they would give inspiration?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/ostera15/
Save  the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate  !!!!
Colorfully_Cayenne
The Queen of Obsessions

And I love like I live; passionately.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009 08:33:37 PM »

Thank you so much - both of you perfectly got the gist of what I was (poorly) trying to get across. It's so great to know what I'm planning is possible... And thanks especially for the Velcro idea - that hadn't occured to me and will work perfectly.

Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In progress; Serenity Pillow Case, One Block Wonder, Cross-Stitch Baby Quilt, Retro Dress, Beach Mosaic.

"Oh yeah, hidin' up the Shepherd's skirts, that's a manful scheme."
"You wanna run this ship?!"
"Yes!"
"Well y-...you can't!"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meatballs ... For Breakfast?! One Meatball Legend Is Showing You His Go-To
3 Simple Breakfast Toasts
How to Grill the Ultimate Burger
Sunny Anderson Whips Up a Cinnamon Roll Pancake
Sunny Anderson Shows You How to Make the Perfect Pancake Batter
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce
Mountain Views
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...