A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,522
Currently Running With Scissors:
644 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Adapting logos to sell?  (Read 328 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

threehang
« on: October 09, 2008 11:17:03 AM »

I was wondering if it was illegal to put a logo on something and sell it, with the logo being sort of redesigned in an different and unique way, but still clearly based on the original logo? Specifically, I want to use the Obama O/circle logo thing on teeshirts and stuff. (But to be clear, it would be done in an artistic way; i wouldn't just paint the logo as it is onto a teeshirt or something.) Also, if I <i>weren't</i> going to sell it, it'd be fine right? If i just gave it to a friend or wore it myself?
http://store.barackobama.com/v/vspfiles/photos/RS29659-2.jpg

Thanks for helping!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009 06:29:27 AM by jungrrl - Reason: Please do not hotlink images - thanks! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008 03:45:42 PM »

It depends on how much like the current logo it ends up being. There's "inspired by" then there's pretty-close-to-copying. We can't tell which one yours would be.

If you were just going to do one for yourself and a friend, well go for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kellyhelene
I'd claim it was my magnetic personality, but really, that's just the steel.

you'll put your eye out

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008 08:30:08 AM »

I can't imagine anyone having a problem with you making your own stuff, for yourself and friends.  I made myself a bag with the logo on it to carry registration forms when I went door to door, and a sweatshirt with it when I was starting canvasing in the primaries and his site was sold out of everything.  Even the paid campaign staff loved it.

However, as someone who has been volunteering since the primaries, I've seen a LOT of scorn heaped on people who used the Obama logo just to make money for themselves.  The official stuff, and even most of the unofficial stuff, is going to support the campaign.  The attitude seems to be that, unless you're donating your profits to the campaign, using Obama's logo and image to make money is taking it right from his campaign, where it could have been put to use for ads, literature, travel, etc. 

I highly doubt they'd go after you or you'd incur any legal repercussions (although it does border on infringement), but it strikes me as pretty shady, and you'll most likely get a lot of feedback to that effect.  The most vicious thread on our local Obama email list was in reaction to someone posting their Obama goods who wasn't donating any of the proceeds to the campaign.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

threehang
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008 08:37:39 AM »

Thanks so much! All your advice makes a lot of sense :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Edit a Composite Image
How to Read a Target Using Adobe Lightroom
How to Read a Target Using Photoshop Raw
Photo Retouching and Compositing Examples
Getting More Out of Lightroom 2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...