A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
629 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Vintage Pink Baby Girl Dress (imgv heavy)  (Read 1631 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

blossom1044
I want to make things - I want to get better! I must have patience with myself!

I'm a mum 1st, craftster 2nd & I hate working FT!

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2008 03:06:08 AM »

I found this pattern in a boot fair and thought it was lovely.  Having DS I didn't know when I was going to use it, but my nephew, 20, has been told me I am going to be a Great Aunt, 34, to a little girl on 6th October.  I'm nearly 34 and I'm going to be a great aunt - scary!  OK OK the scan might be wrong etc, but I thought what the hell I'll make it anyway as I've been dying to try this pattern as it is sooo cute.

I'm not sure how old it is, but I love it.

I had 3 metres of pink in my stash which I thought would go well with something else, but they didn't quite colour match - so I decided to make option 2.

The pattern required a lined bodice, but I decided to line the whole lot and make 3-6 months because the little girl will be needing warm winter dress.  Also the pattern left some edges just sewn up and since I don't have a serger I decided that french seaming and biase tape arm holes will make any fraying a non issue.  I added lace in order to be able to sew the bodic and skirt together using my machine instead of hand sewing because I wanted the dress to be secure and not come and undone as my hand sewing might not be as secure.  Further more the dress was supposed to have button holes on the back which I thought no no no with a baby buttons are hard work, so poppers.  Though I think I may change those to smaller ones as they seem a bit bulky for a baby to lie on.  Also looking at the size it seems a bit big.  I held it up to DS old 3-6 months and the dress looks more 6-12 month even though I followed the pattern and seam allowances as suggested.  I also changed the arms - instead of gathers all round the pit sleeve and the wrist I put little pleats in.
I won't have action shot for quite a while, so hanger and laid flat will have to do.  also I haven't pressed the dress yet, so the collar doesn't lay as flat as it should.
I am please with it as it is the first childs outfit I've ever done and it's even better than the stuff I do for myself.  This maybe because it is for my nephew who I love dearly and wanted it to be perfect. 
It was also quite difficult because of all the pattern pieces and alterations I made above.  The gathered skirt was hardest part which I ended up gathering by hand as there was ao much fabric when trying to use the machine that it wouldn't gather properly and evenly.  I did it in the evenings as I work and have a 2 year old.  It took me about 16 hours over 2 weeks to do.  I took my time and did a section at a time.  for once I didn't rush it.  I've got to do some house work now!
Anyhow here's the dress and other pics of workings, I hope you like

The camera dates are wrong as the date on my digital camera has stuck.  It is old and I must buy a new one.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008 03:13:59 AM by blossom1044 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love
T
KMOM13
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008 05:09:06 AM »

I love vintage patterns and this one is adorable!  I love the little pleats you added to the sleeve. 

What a wonderful gift to welcome your new great-niece into the world. 

Don't worry about it seeming large - babies are born bigger these days due to better nutrition on the Mom's part and aren't in 3-6 mos. clothes for very long - my son was born 8lbs 8oz and was out of his 3-6 mo clothes when he was less than 1 mo. old, but the 6-12 mo. clothes he was able to fit into until he was about 11 mos.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blossom1044

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008 05:28:05 AM »

Thank you - that's what I thought.  she'll grow into it.  I do love vintage patterns.  I also like girls to be girls whilst they are little. So much masproduced stuff isn't girly enough.

I just hope the scan was right and it is a girl.  If it isn't ebay/etsy it will go and I'll sell it.  I don't think DH will let DS have a dolly!  Wink Cheesy Grin Grin  If it is a girl and my Nephew likes it I think I'll be making more.  I'm a little worried he'll think it is too old fashioned.  Oh well we'll see.

also have you seen those hands - eek I think I need to sort them out before they look too old! I'm only 34 and they looked about 50! Too much dishwashing and gardening me thinks! Can I get out of the prior as a reason to keep my hands nice! Don't think DH will fall for it. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love
T
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008 06:33:06 AM »

That is adorable! I love vintage baby clothes! I hope you post pics of baby modeling it when she grows into it! You did a fabulous job...it looks professional! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
thehappylion
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008 06:57:49 AM »

If it is a girl and my Nephew likes it I think I'll be making more.  I'm a little worried he'll think it is too old fashioned.

First, your dress is just darling. I absolutely love it. It also reminds me of a whole stack of dresses I got from my grandma that were my mom's when she was a baby. I dress my kids very... interestingly, and certainly not in an old fashioned way, but I just adored the vintage stuff, so my vote goes that your nephew will. I couldn't see anyone not liking that dress. Also, about size, my son came home from the hospital, 5 days old, wearing 6-12 months clothes. And I'm little. And even the sizes seem off from the old stuff, because my daughter was wearing her 0-3 months outfits from my grandma when she was baptized at 7 months.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blossom1044

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008 03:24:36 AM »

the dress was a hit.  I gave it to my cousin in the end as he had a baby girl on 6th August.  I changed the prim poppers though as they were too think and would have stuck in baby's back.  I removed them and replaced with small and less bulky snap poppers.  this left me with a bit of dilema as where the prim poppers were had left tiny holes, so I embroidered in white some little flowers.  My cousin and his wife love it.  It'll fit her at Christmas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love
T
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008 10:41:53 AM »

Please update with photos when she wears it!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
AlexisMomOf3
Canadian Craftin' Momma

Sew Sew Sew!

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008 12:24:06 PM »

Love vintage stuff, you did a great job on it. I hope you update with pictures of her in the dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mother to 4 beautiful crazy children that loves to sew, make bows and photography.

www.thecanadiancraf ters.com
tinny67
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008 05:21:54 PM »

Precious, just precious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sleepy Owl
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008 06:36:02 PM »

That is so sweet!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a dabbler.  I know just a bit about almost everything, but expert at nothing.  Working on that though.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Triple Braided Hairstyle Tutorial for Medium-Length Hair
Signs You Need a New Stylist
How to Use a Diffuser to Style Frizz-Free Curly Hair
Hot or Not: Celebrity Hairstyles for Summer 2013
Big Waves Hair Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...