A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,471
Currently Running With Scissors:
587 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Grasp for breath: the thunderbolt [mature connotations for the unholy viewer]  (Read 16355 times)
Tags for this thread: nalbinding  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: September 05, 2008 03:54:37 AM »

I confess: I made this cozy for the challenge, but then decided against entering it. Until I saw that someone claimed to have made the naughtiest cozy.
Oh, really? Is that so?
Of course now I have to enter.

I wanted to do this ever since I learned the stitch I used. The stitch is called Muesen stitch, has a complicated notation (something like Mid2 UOO/UUOO), and makes a very tight fabric with a ripple on the back.
It is nalbinding, and if you don't know how it works, look at this:

It's kind of sewed, but you can just pretend it's crocheted, it's okay. Smiley

The cozy is made from handspun wool, and I dyed it after finishing it, using the cold walnut shell that is rotting away marinating on my terrace. It took nearly a day to get the color transition like this, and it will take forever to get dry, but I like very much how it turned out.
Ta-dah, the thunderbolt:

A thunderbolt is an early medieval talisman, exclusivlely worn by woman. It's actually the same as a Thor's hammer, Donar being the German equivalent to Scandinavian Thor. I have seen thunderbolts, small and decent, on reenactment outfits for 6th century Germany, and I liked them a lot even if I have not really understood what they are worn for. So I made one for my Alemannic outfit. That's why I shaped it cone-like, not life-like, and that's why I used nalbinding instead of crochet (nalbinding is older). Thunderbolts are anyway not shaped after body parts, but after fossile remains of belemnite shells. So actually it is a very decent cozy, more holy than naughty. Just a shell. Only a bit bigger.

Anyway, I will probably not wear the thunderbolt in public. But I will take it with me everywhere, because it's my survival kit. I have asthma and of course sometimes only my spray will help me. But I try not to make myself so very dependent from it. I have found a number of ways to deal with smaller attacks, and one is inhaling certain essential oils, like the lemon and grapefruit oils in the pictures.
The thunderbolt can carry two bottles of essential oils:

The only problem is, the least recommendable things during an asthma attack are laughing and getting excited. (I know what I am talking about, I nearly killed myself watching Galay Quest Smiley ) Exposing this bolt in public, dropping it twice while trying to get the bottles out and maybe using it as an inhaler at last (because the essential oils will last long in wool) and then having to explain everyone that no, they can't borrow it - that might ruin any relaxing effect the oils will have. Smiley Well, that's just a theory. It needs testing. Smiley Maybe I should stitch "Don't panic" in runes on the thunderbolt Smiley
Or "It's just fucking asthma" Smiley

Here's a picture for size reference:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008 07:31:22 AM by Ruby Copperhead » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008 04:49:18 AM »

I really don't know what a thunderbolt is, I tried researching it but got nowhere, but your cozy is really nicely done and I love the graduated coloring Smiley I love how useful it is and the reactions you are getting Smiley And me and my daughter still quote galaxy quest sometimes! Never give up! Never surrender! And that sounds like how you are handling your asthma! Kudos!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
elociNNicole
Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart-ah-ah-ah

Do what you love. Love what you do.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008 05:55:49 AM »

I really like the stitch.  I don't know if I've seen that before and it looks really beautiful and perfectly suited for this cone shape. 

I like it.  Good work!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting goal for 2011: knit 500,000 stitches.  24,078/500,000 knit.  I think I'm going to need more yarn...
Chelsea K
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008 06:06:07 AM »

I don't see how that's naughtier than the dildo cozy...?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008 07:28:25 AM »

I'll add another picture to show the size of the cozy. Of course, using it to store fragrance is not a naughty purpose. But can you look at it and think, oh, it's just a cone? I can't. Smiley

@kaleesi: thunderbolt is what wikipedia gave as closest reference to the German word "Donnerkeil", although it does not link it to either fossiles nor talismans. Maybe the fossiles and the talismans have a different name in English, and I simply don't know it, but thunderbolt is a very accurate translation, apart from that. Try a picure search on "Donnerkeil". I found it hard to research on the subject as well. I wanted to post reference pictures of the original jewellery, and found none. I have some in a book, but I don't know about copyright issues.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shaints
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008 10:35:52 AM »

Could these be the Donnerkeil you are talking about?
http://www.ruegen-web.de/Ruegen-von-A-bis-Z/Donnerkeil.htm

I don't know really German, but I roughly understood they're called like that because these squid fossils were believed to be created by thunder. And considering that Scandinavians like many other peoples had thunder gods, they probably used them as talismans for such a god.

Oh, and I almost forgot. I'm fascinated by that technique you used. I'll be looking into it. I also really like the graduated dying.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008 10:38:06 AM by shaints » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit Craftster's English-Spanish Dictionary! ~> http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=265119.0
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008 11:10:41 AM »

If it were much wider, it could be a cornucopia! It's very nicely stitched! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008 11:25:00 AM »

@shaints: Yes, that is a good explanation. I didn't want to overload my posting with all that, mainly because I would have explained in in ten times your length Smiley Thanks for the link.             
The thunder god Donar/Thor was worshipped in all Germanic tribes, not only the Scandinavians, but, as I said, I am not familiar with the details, especially with why woman seemed to have worn the thunder amulets exclusively.
If you are interested in nalbinding, you can have a look at the two nalbinding postings in craftster, they come with some information.
http://home.arcor.de/bedankbar/ is a good site for first steps.
With some experience in crocheting or knitting, nalbinding is easy to learn. It's very transportable, and very addictive. Smiley
It's very fascinating because it is so very, very old.
Just look at this:
http://www.museum-albersdorf.de/bast/netzgeflechte.htm
It's from the Stone Age!

@I Sew Cute: Thanks! I am very fascinated by moufflon horns, and I love to sculpt objects in 3D with nalbinding. That would be a challenge I'd like! It's on my list!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pseudo_pix

It's okay paper tiger

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008 03:03:06 PM »

Nice - a fellow nalbinder Smiley

I have a question, in what forum do you normally post needle binding?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Mitten Project is a year of mittens! Each week a new mitten and you get to choose which ones should be knit. In the end three pairs will be given away to you readers.

Facebook page of TMP
mlheran

Jack of all trades

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008 04:02:07 PM »

Oh wow, I love the natural dye gradation! And what a lovely cover for a utilitarian -but essential- object!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest
swaps: -
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Makes a Great Photograph
Samsung NX100 Hands-on Video at Photokina 2010
Canon Multipurpose 4k Camera Concept
Nick Woodman Talks About the GoPro Cameras
Canon 7D Hands-on
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...