A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 301,498
Currently Running With Scissors:
413 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chinese Silk Brocade Mei Tai  (Read 2364 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CeraMom
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008 08:08:14 AM »

REally pretty! I'm so glad you let us know that there was canvas in there or I'd be worried too!!! I hope there was no offense taken - consider it that we are all watching out for the littest ones among us. I can't tell you how many MTs i've seen come into our babywearing group that aren't  safe :-(

Its sooo gorgeous. The brocade is nasty to sew with though. The only way I've ever been able to do it is serging and then topstitching.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinny67
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008 05:35:20 PM »

very nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kelliz
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008 06:18:35 PM »

I'm trying to make one right now!  I'm not a seamstress at all and am toughing it out! 
Yours is so beautiful, I hope mine turns out nice.   Almost all of my fabric is cut, wish me luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
happyfrog
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008 06:20:34 PM »

your mei tai inspired me to get my butt in gear and finish the one i started a while back!  Smiley

i really like yours a lot - so much so that i want to make another mei tai now - only using for the front outer panel my red brocade dragons!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.answeredprayers.aboutmybaby.com
mommy to three amazing children on earth!  Smiley
La Maestra
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008 07:15:53 PM »

Its sooo gorgeous. The brocade is nasty to sew with though. The only way I've ever been able to do it is serging and then topstitching.

I agree on the gorgeous part!...  and on the "serging" and topstitching.  My machine isn't a serger, but it does do some overlock stitches, and when I did a brocade jacket this summer, I overlocked all the raw edges - (I did a false flat fell seam on any major joins.)  Very durable, not tearing at the stitches or fraying at all - especially cool because it was made from an old robe had to be disassembled and pieced before I could actually cut the pattern out. A flat fell keeps the "pulling" from being at those joining stitches.  Any encased seam (like a real flat fell) or overlocked edge seam (maybe even a zig zag on set to 5 and on a small stitch length?) should work, as long as there is another row of stitching over the seam allowance edge that is distracting the pulling away from those joining stitches..

I don't usually give this kind of advice, but this is such a nice Mei Tei, I'd take at least the shoulder seams out and redo them in an enclosed seam or "edge finished" false flat fell seam of some sort - because of how brocade is woven, it may keep fraying on you!

Please forgive my unsolicited advice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
norahkate
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008 08:07:57 PM »

Please forgive my unsolicited advice!

if it helps at all, i looked back at this post just to see if anyone had mentioned how to avoid fraying, so your unsolicited advice was welcomed!  (well, i also had to take another peek at this gorgeous mt) Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for baby food jars (or other small jars with lids)
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Whole Week Delicious With Delightful Pancake Art
How to Make Chocolate Chip Belgian Waffles
The Chocolate Ball Recipe
Mint Chip Ice Cream Recipe
Domenica Marchetti Makes Cantucci Di Prato
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...