A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,294
Currently Running With Scissors:
521 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 42
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Am I overreacting? (about a purse someone made for me)  (Read 61492 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

olive_juice
« Reply #290 on: September 26, 2008 01:23:10 PM »

LauPre, i would have to disagree about the idea that etsy should not be held responsible for enforcing quality standards. As a business, they have a responsibility to their customers.

Quality aside, the bag is simply NOT what she requested and NOT what she thought she was paying for. She was told it would be made of PVC (or leather, i believe.. can't remember) and later she was also told that the picture portion would be silkscreened on rather than ironed on, and would not have agreed to purchase under different conditions.

I think it is sad, because it is this exact reason why it is hard for someone new to break in to anything, because there's no way of knowing if the "new guy" is just a fraud. I mean, he's invested maybe 30 minutes and $10 in that monster, and made $55? He obviously doesn't care about his reputation as a crafter if he would mail something like that and even argue about it with the buyer, which screams fraud to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy.com
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 26, 2008 02:37:06 PM »

I think LauPre made some very good points and I appreciate her expressing them here.   Not everyone is going to fully agree with the entire thread and I'm glad there is room for other opinions as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sapphire_distortion
« Reply #292 on: September 26, 2008 04:06:41 PM »

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to take a stand here against all the insults the bag is receiving.  It's clear that it isn't on the same level as the inspiration bag, but so many people have jumped in to insult the bag with some really ugly comments.  We all need to remember that there are people of all skill levels here and I have seen bags like this that people are rightly proud to display.  I just hope that someone won't see all the flaming here and think that their work isn't good enough to share because it might be similar to this or near the same level (we all have to start somewhere, right?).  I fully understand being disappointed, and I think it's great that so many craftsters are here to support you, but it would be better if everyone remembers that the focus should be on the situation and not the bag itself.

As other people said, the issue is with charging for it. If someone who was a beginner sewer posted this on craftster I would probably think they had done a great job and tell them so. But I paid $55 for this and I do NOT have a lot of money to spend so, yeah, I'm pissed. The situation kind of brings attention to the bag itself as it is obvious that this bag is NOT worth $55; as another poster put it, he probably put 30 minutes and ten dollars into it.

I'm also saddened to see people say that they won't go to Etsy, or won't use the Alchemy system because of what they've read here.  It's true that buying anything online can be a gamble, but there are a lot of people who work very hard to provide good products and good customer service.  I know there are a lot of these people right here on Craftster. 

I didn't encourage anyone else to not shop Etsy. But this is TERRIBLE customer service. I'm sorry if you don't agree but the way I have been treated by Etsy customer service infuriates me and I will NEVER shop there again because of it. I'm a really stubborn person and I simply don't want to shop someplace that treats their customers that way. I really don't care if other people shop there or not, I'm not trying to start some boycott, I'm simply venting about my experience and expressing that I don't want to shop there any more.

Lastly, I just have to say that I don't think it would be right for Etsy to step in to enforce quality standards.  This is an especially tricky case because the bag was paid for sight unseen.  If the seller had presented the image of the inspiration bag as the actual bag it would clearly be a misrepresentation, but as it was the buyer agreed to paying for an item without approving the final product first.

I'm sorry but I disagree. Etsy is letting this guy, who is a blatant and provable liar, continue to sell with no repercussions while I'm getting REALLY screwed over and stuck with the consequences, and pretty much refusing to even attempt to do anything about it. I'm assuming they have access to our conversation as well as the alchemy bid and request (actually, I KNOW they have access to those) and there is no indication anywhere that I wanted anything different from what he originally said he was going to make me, except w/silver sequins instead of gold. Also, as I understand it, the way the Alchemy system works, you are ALWAYS paying for an item sight unseen.

My advice for anyone?  Don't be afraid to shop from Etsy, or any other handmade goods seller, but be smart about it.  Decide what risk you're willing to take and what is unacceptable. Sellers have their "store policies" and you should have your own "buyer policies".

I'm not sure if I'm being oversensitive here but I do not appreciate the implication that I was being stupid about it. I was maybe a little too trusting but there really wasn't any way to tell he was a scammer until after I was already really screwed over.

I never asked anyone to agree with me, I was just expressing how upset I am over this whole thing. I've been upset to tears several times because of this whole mess and I really don't have anywhere else to vent about it, my fiance is probably tired of hearing about it all the time  Tongue

Anyways, I got a reply from Etsy:

Dear Michelle,

I am so sincerely sorry that my efforts have not paid off for you. As you know, Etsy is a venue. We do not have access to the seller's money and cannot force refunds or returns when it is that their policy to do so. Every seller on Etsy is independent, and is running their own business separate from Etsy.

We have stepped in to help settle your transaction based on the terms of the seller's business. If the items you have received are not to your specifications, we ask that you 1) Contact the seller 2) Leave Feedback
3) File a claim through PayPal. I understand if you feel as if you have exhausted your options. I am so sorry about that.

If filing complaints against the seller through other authorities helps, please proceed.

Our engineer staff is still trying to find out what happened to your feedback. I will keep you posted once that is solved.

Best,
Emily

Just kind of frustrating since the seller won't talk to me, I CAN'T leave feedback, and I've tried the Paypal option. Getting ready to call them in a few minutes again though, after I calm down and eat something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Decline Designs - the blog
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 26, 2008 04:29:31 PM »

I hope they get the feedback system fixed up for you soon!  I also hope, in the future, they somehow prevent sellers from using whatever billing method he used.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sapphire_distortion
« Reply #294 on: September 26, 2008 04:39:57 PM »

I hope they get the feedback system fixed up for you soon!  I also hope, in the future, they somehow prevent sellers from using whatever billing method he used.

Well, the thing is he just sent me a payment request via Paypal and as I'd never done Alchemy before I had no way of realizing it wasn't the right way to have me pay, until I found out I couldn't leave feedback. I'm on the phone w/Paypal (on hold! bleh! but I'm getting transferred to a senior rep) right now and it sounds like I might get somewhere Smiley I'll let you guys know how it pans out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #295 on: September 26, 2008 04:45:06 PM »

I am new to Etsy too but I send PayPal invoices to people who accept my Alchemy bids. I haven't had trouble leaving seller feed back before though...

I am bummed that I have to go to work now... I won't know what happens next till I get home! Grr...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008 04:45:43 PM by CraftyMcCrafterson » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
sapphire_distortion
« Reply #296 on: September 26, 2008 05:52:25 PM »

Ok! It turns out, the money didn't come from my bank account like I thought, it was from PayPal Pay Later on credit. So, the VERY helpful nice third person I spoke to - LOL I felt so bad for one, I explained the whole story the one person and he was like "Uhh I can't help you BUT I can transfer you to someone who can". Anyways, he gave me the customer service number for PPPL and I called them. The guy on the other end said that he would file a dispute on the payment on my behalf, they will send me a letter through the mail, and I can send them a letter with all of my proof in it. In the meantime I don't need to make any payments on my account until the matter is resolved (which might take 30-45 days).

Now I'm wondering if I should convo the guy and tell him that. ehh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Therisa

Knitfiend, Mad Sewist

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #297 on: September 26, 2008 06:12:29 PM »

don't convo the guy!  Since it came from a pay later credit account, you have different and more rights than if it came out of the bank.  Don't convo him and give him time to come up with his lies..... stay away from him altogether.  And I am glad to hear that etsy is working to make it let you leave feedback.  Keep your struggle strong - you've almost made it when many many people would have given up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I joined the Fabric Fast and pledged to buy no new yardage until July 1, 2008.

2008 Fabric Purchased: 56 yards

Fabric Sewn: 93 yards

Fabric Remaining: An Awful Lot

I am open to personal swaps!

http://www.wists.com/Therisa
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 26, 2008 06:13:15 PM »

Don't make any contact with him outside of the "process" they've given you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
keeperrox
« Reply #299 on: September 26, 2008 06:14:41 PM »

I wouldn't contact the guy (I'm assuming you mean the Etsy seller) unless PayPal explicitly tells you to.  If it looks like they actually can do something about this horrible ordeal, then let them take the reigns for now.  Good luck!

Also, don't give up on getting Etsy to let you leave feedback.  I would just hammer them with that request only for now, while you're letting PayPal deal with the refund.  Since they claim to have no control over the monetary end of it, and they keep telling you just to leave feedback, then they have to make sure that you can do just that.  They obviously aren't incompetent when it comes to the technical end of things, yet they keep ignoring the fact that you can't.leave.feedback.  At ALL.  That is something that they can fix.  Don't let them ignore it any longer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 42 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The 7 Point 7 Craps Bet
The Oasis 360 Slot Machine
Guster Serenade Rhiannon
How to Solve the 4T Puzzle Brain Teaser
Catan 5 and 6 Player Extensions
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!
April 29, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...