A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 42
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Am I overreacting? (about a purse someone made for me)  (Read 58353 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #280 on: September 26, 2008 08:34:52 AM »

does it say in the terms of service for paypal that a not as described complaint can only be used for E-bay? If it doesn't I keep complaining till they do something.
I've only had one problem with paypal (locked myself out while trying to change my e-mail) and they were very nice polite and patient with me.
I've had to deal with some things similar to this since I work as a secretary for a mental health office. Insurance companies like to do the same thing.
Keep calming and FIRMLY explaining the situation. If one person doesn't seem to be helping you ask to speak to a manager or someone else. Keep asking till they do it.
Remind them YOU are the customer and if they want your business they will try to help.
I've had no issues with etsy but I know some people have it's not perfect, but neither is anything else. It's all about the customer service though and if you aren't happy keep telling them til something is done!
If you keep having issues I think you may need to talk to a lawyer. I hate to say that but it may be the only way to get things done. If he's in canada you need one familiar with canada laws. If you have a family member perhaps who could write a letter to him that might help too...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissColee
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Cakewrecks made me famous! http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2009/02/this-is-how-you-show-hungry-whos-boss.html

why is the rum always gone?

« Reply #281 on: September 26, 2008 09:45:16 AM »

I really just want to give you a hug and make you some cupcakes.
Im so sorry youve had to deal with so much BS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sapphire_distortion
« Reply #282 on: September 26, 2008 11:02:57 AM »

Wildfyre, thanks for the Reader's Digest article, reading through it right now for ideas! I'm pretty effin' stubborn, I'm not quitting until I either get a refund or get to leave feedback or PREFERABLY both Wink

Eliea, I'm not sure if it does. The customer service rep I spoke to was really nice about it but said that they don't usually accept cases like that not on eBay as the seller can change the information and whatnot. I might call back and explain that I have proof of his lying and everything. I need to do it today or tomorrow though because tomorrow is 45 days from my paying! Eesh!

Jatoha, that def made me giggle  Grin I love failblog...haha! I will also look into filing a mail fraud complaint, someone else had suggested it via PM but I wasn't sure if I could as he sent it from Canada.

Sactownsue, there is also a BBB for Canada so I thought it would be worth a shot.

Everyone else, thanks for the support!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Decline Designs - the blog
sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: September 26, 2008 11:12:21 AM »

Eliea, I'm not sure if it does. The customer service rep I spoke to was really nice about it but said that they don't usually accept cases like that not on eBay as the seller can change the information and whatnot. I might call back and explain that I have proof of his lying and everything. I need to do it today or tomorrow though because tomorrow is 45 days from my paying! Eesh!

Keywords:
they don't usually accept cases like that
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

« Reply #284 on: September 26, 2008 11:26:47 AM »

Not that I'm down on etsy, I've neither bought nor sold anything there, and I love to window-shop there, but, you could report etsy to the BBB for poor customer service. On the BBB website it lists that there was a complaint and also if it was resolved or not. It might prompt them to resolve your issue to look better on the BBB report, i.e. have a resolved complaint rather than an unresolved one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
IamSusie
« Reply #285 on: September 26, 2008 11:32:48 AM »

DO NOT WAIT TO FILE YOUR FORMAL COMPLAINTS!  They like it if you wait and they give you the run around because 45 days goes fast and they'd prefer to tell you your time ran out.

I think Etsy is run by a bunch of inexperienced kids.  That was certainly my impression when I saw that company president doing his media blitz by reading a childrens book at his appearances.   Tongue

Despite it all, I still have an Etsy shop. Roll Eyes  I don't have the energy to switch to anything else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LauPre

I've lost my scissors... again?!!

« Reply #286 on: September 26, 2008 12:12:31 PM »

First of all, I want to say sorry that this all has happened to you.  I know how you feel about losing money to something you were really excited about getting.  You've got my sympathy and best wishes.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to take a stand here against all the insults the bag is receiving.  It's clear that it isn't on the same level as the inspiration bag, but so many people have jumped in to insult the bag with some really ugly comments.  We all need to remember that there are people of all skill levels here and I have seen bags like this that people are rightly proud to display.  I just hope that someone won't see all the flaming here and think that their work isn't good enough to share because it might be similar to this or near the same level (we all have to start somewhere, right?).  I fully understand being disappointed, and I think it's great that so many craftsters are here to support you, but it would be better if everyone remembers that the focus should be on the situation and not the bag itself.

I'm also saddened to see people say that they won't go to Etsy, or won't use the Alchemy system because of what they've read here.  It's true that buying anything online can be a gamble, but there are a lot of people who work very hard to provide good products and good customer service.  I know there are a lot of these people right here on Craftster.  

Lastly, I just have to say that I don't think it would be right for Etsy to step in to enforce quality standards.  This is an especially tricky case because the bag was paid for sight unseen.  If the seller had presented the image of the inspiration bag as the actual bag it would clearly be a misrepresentation, but as it was the buyer agreed to paying for an item without approving the final product first.

My advice for anyone?  Don't be afraid to shop from Etsy, or any other handmade goods seller, but be smart about it.  Decide what risk you're willing to take and what is unacceptable. Sellers have their "store policies" and you should have your own "buyer policies".

For instance, it is entirely reasonable to refuse to pay full price for an item until you have seen accurate and detailed pictures of what you're paying for.  Some sellers will want you to pay a portion of the cost up front to pay for materials and to show that you won't back out.  You can decide if you're willing to do that or not.

Be sure to take a look at the seller's history.  If you're asking for a custom item, the seller should be able to provide you with examples of their work that show the quality you can expect from them.  If they don't have a lot of feedback, ask to see photos of some of their personal projects along the same lines.  If they're serious about selling to you then they shouldn't hesitate to share.  

And finally, be very clear with the person doing the work.  Be specific, specific, specific!  There is a lot of room in artistic interpretation, and misunderstandings can happen really easily.  If you don't explain your expectations clearly from the start then the seller is responsible for filling in the details

Well, I hope you won't mind my rant here, I really hope things work out well.  Mostly, I hope that people who have read along in this thread will take it as a cautionary tale to remind us all that there are some bad guys out there, that we need to be careful with online shopping, but also that there are a lot of people (like your fellow craftsters) who are there to comfort you when things do go bad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do some personal swaps.
I'm looking for handmade soaps, jewelry, and knit legwarmers/socks.
pm me if I can sew something for you!

Blog : http://blog.laupre.com/
Wist: http://www.wists.com/laupre
Home: http://LauPre.com
IamSusie
« Reply #287 on: September 26, 2008 12:20:05 PM »

LauPre-  The criticism here is that the seller charged premium prices for crafting something of beginning sewing standards.  If a beginner sewer posted a photo of a bag like this here at Craftster I'm sure they would get cheerful encouraging comments with polite advice about how to add finishing details if they were wanting to sell it at a show or something.  This is a very supportive community.

I'm still buying and selling on Etsy, although I think the whole situation here is really outrageous.  In my opinion, the problem here lies with the way Etsy handles Alchemy and not so much Etsy as it works for regular transactions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

« Reply #288 on: September 26, 2008 12:47:29 PM »

IamSusie, that is exactly it, its not the bad per se, its the charge for the work

LauPre, if you ordered a custom bag from someone, and paid as much as some designer bags, and you recieved that, you would be mad too, period. if not, you are WAY too understanding. and kinda a pushover

if i saw that bag presented here on craftster, i would compliment it, and i would think it was a beginner sewer. that isnt an insult, its just a fact, you get better the more you sew.

everyone should be proud of their work, but you should also be realistic...60 bux for a bag like that is a scam...the quality of work is NOT worth what was paid. he didnt seem to DO any real work.

generally you can tell when someone did their very best and when they slapped something together, this was half assed at best.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008 12:48:05 PM by MissDisney » THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: September 26, 2008 01:00:36 PM »

Agreed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 42 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Emma Chase Reveals All with XOXO After Dark
Tour Berlin After WWII with Author Joseph Kanon
Matthew Van Fleet’s Books: Where Storytime Is Playtime!
Matthew Van Fleet’s Sniff! Lick! Munch!
The Art of Stillness: Adventures in Going Nowhere
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...