A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: It's time to vote for your favorite swapped project! Smiley  Vote now through Sunday, August 30th!
Total Members: 302,659
Currently Running With Scissors:
725 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 42
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Am I overreacting? (about a purse someone made for me)  (Read 63394 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dinosaurus Meg

I wish I was a wolpertinger.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008 05:25:31 PM »

I don't think Etsy themselves could/would do anything about it because although it's obviously shotty craftsman but each person is responsible for what they send out. I would definitely recommend leaving negative feedback for the seller and briefly explain in the comments that the product was nothing like you asked for and the quality is questionable just to be helpful to future potential customers of hers.

I would certainly try returning it but if she won't let you or you can't for whatever reason I would stick with leaving negative feedback and maybe send a comment or complaint to Etsy just to let them know they have a false advertiser in their midst.

And I'd just like to say that my goodness that inspiration bag is awesome and if you are still interested I would totally love to personal swap with you for one, I promise I'm better at reading for inspiration than Ms. Etsy over there Wink Looking at it I already have some fun ideas..

I hope your day is going better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hey Fiber People: I am very interested in personal swaps for painted/dyed roving or top. I can swap supplies or crafted items. Let's talk!

Every body wants a rock to wind a piece of string around.
autommatic
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008 05:28:06 PM »

this is dreadful. Sad im sorry you have had such a terrible day and had to come home to that. jeez. i would deffinitely try to get my money back if i were you, and again, make a complaint to SOMEONE. i dont htink youre overreacting at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Avian Flight
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008 05:28:53 PM »

That "bag" looks like a piece of garbage! It sounds like a scam to me, he must have made a huge profit.. I really don't trust alchemy at all unless you can see that the other person sells lots of great stuff and you're asking for something similar to what they make.. People who make dresses doesn't necessarily know how to make bags..

Leave negative feedback and try to get a refund..

Tips for working with alchemy.. confirm exactly what you want next time before agreeing to purchase. Don't just say, use this picture as inspiration. You should list specifically that you want this color, this fabric, this size, this material for the straps, etc. and work it out with the seller so you know what you're getting..

p.s. i hate overcharges.. =( pure evilness.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008 05:32:26 PM by Avian Flight » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
RagnazIdnar
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008 05:39:16 PM »

Tips for working with alchemy.. confirm exactly what you want next time before agreeing to purchase. Don't just say, use this picture as inspiration. You should list specifically that you want this color, this fabric, this size, this material for the straps, etc. and work it out with the seller so you know what you're getting..

I actually bid on alchemy all the time and I love it when people tell me "here are some ideas, go wild!" but I do send them many photos beforehand to let them know that I know what I am doing, and I have lots of good feedback. BUT, I never would have gotten those photos or feedback unless someone gave me a chance. In this case it didn't work out, but I hope people don't shy away from alchemy because of losers like this guy- he obviously didn't come through on that "purse." My advice to others reading this is to ask them to ask to pay in deposits (first up front, second due at completion) and work out something where you can see photos before paying for it in full AND ask what their refund policy is in case it doesn't work out. A reasonable seller won't be scared off by this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of the Eastern Wa Etsy Team!
www.ragnazidnar.etsy.com
Ahoy Sailor!
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008 05:44:00 PM »

You aren't over reacting. I had a similar situation but it was with 500 dollars and a deposit on an apartment. i paid the money, they gave me some runaround story, i could never contact them etc. I'm sorry you are going through this. Money sucks right now and I would be pissed about 60 dollars too. Thats gas for a week or my internet bill, lol.

and no offense, but that purse is damn ugly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alli123
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008 05:45:53 PM »

What is this guys etsy thing? I'm really curious to see what elese he makes (not in a good way!). I've had some things like this happen on e-bay.. you have to be really careful on the internet... especially paying a high price for something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ahoy Sailor!
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008 05:52:29 PM »

oh yes...i totally forgot. now i remember ebay. bought something. the guy sent me the wrong thing i told him, he bitched at me and was wicked rude....pure asshole. i mean these people are so annoying. that is why im hesitant to buy something i really like from someone with no feedback. makes me wonder if they are just looking to make a buck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sapphire_distortion
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008 05:54:17 PM »

Thanks for all your support guys! (and yeah, Ahoy, we're going through something kind of similar with the house we just moved into - we keep finding all these little things, like...the phone line wasn't hooked up at first, and now it looks like something is screwy between the hot water heater and the gas line, so we have no hot water right now, lovely!)

I sent a message to him - "Well, I received the purse today and I must say I'm EXTREMELY disappointed, with both the quality of materials and the quality of construction. I don't feel that it resembles the inspiration or what I asked for at all, and the material is so thin I don't think it could even hold the things I carry around daily in my purse. I'd like to send it back for a refund, please."

RagnazIdnar, you were probably right about the nicer approach, but I couldn't think of a nice way to word it at the time(I read your reply right after I sent the message) since I'm just so worn out ATM. : /

Alli - he doesn't have anything else listed in his shop at the moment. Like I said, there's just a message about how he doesn't have anything listed because he's taking some time to do photoshoots and more listings will be up in September.

As far as leaving bad feedback...I think I got screwed over there too. I had never used Alchemy before and now it looks like he didn't do it right. The purse is under my "purchases" section and there's an invoice, but it says contact seller to arrange payment for this item. He sent me a payment request via Paypal and I just assumed he had done it the "right" way. The area under "status (from seller)" is blank. And the purse isn't under the items to leave feedback for area. If I don't hear back within a day or two I'll definitely be contacting the Etsy team, maybe they can help me out some.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Decline Designs - the blog
Therisa

Knitfiend, Mad Sewist

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008 06:01:07 PM »

If you did it through paypal, can't you get support from them?  The purse has nothing in common with your purse inspiration at all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I joined the Fabric Fast and pledged to buy no new yardage until July 1, 2008.

2008 Fabric Purchased: 56 yards

Fabric Sewn: 93 yards

Fabric Remaining: An Awful Lot

I am open to personal swaps!

http://www.wists.com/Therisa
narhloki
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008 06:26:43 PM »

Oh my, no they look nothing alike.

I hope you can get a bag that you would like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 42 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ursula Le Guin on Her Favorite Childhood Books
Ursula Le Guin on the Influence of the Earthsea Series
Mark Nepo on Creating the "Seven Thousand Ways to Listen" Audiobook
Joanna Brooks Reveals Her Story in "The Book of Mormon Girl"
Kathy Reichs on Her Novel "Bones Are Forever"
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...