A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,706
Currently Running With Scissors:
707 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 42
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Am I overreacting? (about a purse someone made for me)  (Read 63495 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sapphire_distortion
« on: September 03, 2008 04:45:51 PM »

So I'm having a REALLY bad day. Like, $105 in charges for a $15 overdraft that shouldn't have even happened bad day. Although I got $35 of it taken off. Anyways, this is kind of the icing on the cake. By this point, I had no choice other than to just laugh, instead of getting upset. I got my purse that someone on etsy made for me today. The purse that was supposed to be inspired by/similar to something like this:

http://i9.ebayimg.com/02/i/001/05/ff/e356_1.JPG

The purse that I paid $60 for (which I know isn't a lot to some people - but it's a lot for me), specifically 'cause I'd rather get something handmade than buy something mass-produced.

Yeah. This purse.

Nothing is sewn on except for the sequin trim along the bottom - the rest of it is glued on (except for the pins obviously, which are...pinned on). It's vinyl, but extremely thin vinyl (like something that would be MUCH better suited to a top rather than a purse, even if I was planning on keeping it I'd be afraid of putting anything IN it), no kind of interfacing or anything. It's something that I could make in 30 minutes with $20 worth of material. There's no "depth" to it, it's just two flaps sewn together. The fringey stuff is not cut evenly(meaning, the actual strips are cut crookedly and not all the same width) and isn't all the same length either. The braided strap is braided WAY too loosely, and there's a hole by where it's attached to the bag on one side. THE PIN SAYS "BAD MONKEY" FER CRYING OUT LOUD. It looks like something a fourteen year old would buy at Claire's for $15 IMO.

Seriously, am I overreacting here? I don't even know how to word the email to the guy because I don't know how someone could ACTUALLY make this and send it to an unsuspecting customer, for money! I also don't know if I set myself up for this, because he responded to the alchemy request, had some really nice dresses (or so the photos made them look) in his shop, and seemed nice/intelligent, but didn't have any buyer feedback. I figured what the heck. Well, now, his "assistant" has responded to the last two emails (about when the purse was getting shipped) and everything in his shop is gone, saying that more stuff will be up in September. Crap. I might just be paranoid but it all seems kind of fishy to me, and I just hope I can get my money back.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010 03:22:50 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Decline Designs - the blog
alli123
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008 04:51:13 PM »

You are def. not overreacting!! $60?? Wow... can you send it back??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sf craftster
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008 04:54:05 PM »

i don't really have any advice as i'm not too clear on etsy buying etiquette, but i just want to reassure you that you're not paranoid. it looks nothing like the inspiration and, to me, doesn't seem worth $60. i'm hesitant to say any more due to the "if you can't say something nice" rule, so suffice to say: you're not overreacting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BadWolf
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008 04:56:05 PM »

You are totally not overreacting. That looks nothing like the inspiration and you're right in saying it looks like something that was made in half and hour for twenty bucks tops. That is preposterous. I really hope you can send it back. 60 bucks is a lot to me too!!!
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008 04:58:59 PM »

I agree that you are not over reacting and I can not for the life of me see how that purse can possibly be viewed as inspired by the other one.  And I don't think etsy itself would be very pleased with this either.  I don't know much about the behind the scenes of the alchemy feature, but it seems obvious that you were mislead and probably deliberately.  If there isn't a feature where the customer can approve a rendering of the object or something, then there should be.  Damn, girl!  Regardless of how important $60 is to a particular person, this is unacceptable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb & http://www.etsy.com/shop/GreatBigBeautifulDog

2013 Projects Completed: 61
'14: 42 (at least)
'15: 33
SkyyAngel
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008 04:59:38 PM »

I would definitely report to etsy or paypal and try to get your money back. That is absolutely NOTHING like the so-called inspiration piece. Not the same color, not the same style, absolutely NOTHING.

I'm so sorry you got that crap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitschbitch
Stitchin'

Music, crafts, and dogs...all good.

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008 05:00:39 PM »

Report them to Etsy!!!! DO IT!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FaeoftheRoots
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008 05:15:17 PM »

Talk to the seller about sending it back for a refund.  If they won't go for it, report them to Etsy for fraud.  good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's an age-old war. Like the werewolves and the vampires. I think Underworld was actually originally about crocheters and knitters but they thought it would be too controversial so they changed it to vampires and werewolves." - Joss Whedon
poyupop

Master Craft Disaster!

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008 05:16:40 PM »

OMG... You have every right to complain. I would have been mortified had I bought something and found it to be something not expected. How dare they tarnish the reputations that good esty sellers have. I hope you are able to settle this painlessly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RagnazIdnar
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008 05:24:13 PM »

Wow, I wonder what that person was thinking? I had a similar experience through etsy where I purchased an alchemy item and was disappointed when it arrived. Not the quality I was expecting. Etsy urges people to work these things out on their own, if that isn't possible both paypal and etsy will work with you on a dispute. If they have a store policy section you can check that out to see if they have a return policy. I hope they take it back. Maybe instead of yelling or insulting their work approach it as an "I'm sorry, this isn't what I expected and it really isn't my style- can I return this for a refund so you can list it in your shop?" If he knows he can relist it maybe he will be more agreeable to the refund.
Best of luck on this. I am sorry to hear about your  crappy day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of the Eastern Wa Etsy Team!
www.ragnazidnar.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 42 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bowens Lighting
Printing Photographs
How to Buy a Bridge Camera
Photography Devices News
Photomart’s Summer Workshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...