Since my last post, I have been playing around with glass and the kiln quite a bit. The scientist in me is trying to gain a better understanding of how glass reacts to certain temperatures and ranges of time. I have to admit that glass fusing is so much more fascinating than I really gave it credit for.
In my last post, I showed a blank for a basketweave dish. I finally slumped it into a mold (13 inch bowl mold), and here is the final product.
After the success of making the basketweave dish, I wanted to try another multistep process. I wanted to create another dish blank with a really simple design, and run it in a full fuse, before I slumped it into a dish. Unfortunately, there was a quality about the blue glass that causes it to become very brittle, and it developed cracks, even after going through a thorough cool down procedure. The cracks aren't too apparent, but you can make out a line in the bottom left of the picture. Here is the final product.
Blue Dish with Square Designs
I liked the square design, but wanted to tweak it a little to make some of the squares pop more. Also, I was growing tired of using the Blue/Green palette, and wanted to try a different palette. So, after a visit to the local glass supply store, I got to work using my new colors. And, this time, instead of creating another dish, I went for making a votive holder. The main piece of glass was red and it was cut into an octagon.
Red Glass Votive Holder Top View
Red Glass Votive Holder Side View 1
Red Glass Votive Holder Side View 2
Red Glass Votive Holder in Candlelight
The votive was a total experiment. There weren't too many tutorials on this type of slumping, so I was overly cautious on my peak temperature and hold times. As you can see from the picture, the piece got to the point where the glass just got soft enough to fold and wrap itself around the mold. The glass wasn't soft enough to droop creating more of a tulip style votive holder. I'll have to play with the temperature and timings to try and get a decent tulip style slump.
In all, it turned out to be a pretty cool experiment.
I hope everyone enjoys the new pieces.