A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,809
Currently Running With Scissors:
433 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Batman shirts for Superhero Day!  (Read 1697 times)
Tags for this thread: batman , superhero  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: September 03, 2008 01:59:24 PM »

So...this year during homecoming week my school is having a superhero/villain day and I decided to make and sell Batman shirts! I found the picture I wanted online, put it in black and white, and cut a stencil of it... BUT I used regular spray paint to paint the shirts, so they have to be hand washed in cold water  Undecided. Btw, does anyone have any ideas as far as getting the same look using a different medium? I know airbrushing is an option, but I won't have the money for that until Christmas...

Perpetually awkward

Craft Big, Dream Bigger!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008 02:08:48 PM »

Maybe buy the tee in the preferred color (red, blue, whatever) and try the bleach method?

"[crafting] fills my days,
not to mention the living room, bedroom, and closets."
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008 02:58:56 PM »

A while back there was a fabric spray paint prize pack donated for a Craftster Challenge... wait for it... got the link: http://simplyspray.com/products.html  Simply Spray, should be less expensive than an airbrushing kit and seems like what you are looking for. I hope this helps!

Good luck and great idea - I hope your homecoming week turns out awesome - I am sure your shirts will!

(Normally I might not name a specific product, but they did donate to Craftster, so we can give them some love!)

I'm a medium aged procrastinator, with a room full of craft supplies! 

I've got a wist and a pinterest: http://www.wists.com/cute_anarchy 
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008 03:59:55 PM »

I personally prefer discharge paste (found here: http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1574-AA.shtml.  You only need a super small amount of it and it creates the same effect as bleach does without damaging the shirt fibers.  There are two differences from bleach and discharge paste:  Discharge paste, as far as i know, cannot be diluted down to spray on (which is probably the look you want), and it also does not work all fabrics or colors (lots of times it won't work on black fabrics).  What I do like is that you use hardly any of it AND you can just paint it on with a paint brush.
R.A.D. not A.D.D.

Distracted by shiny stuff since 1989

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008 06:19:26 PM »

A word on simply spray, A. it doesn't look at all like spray paint, its more spotty and thicker due to the fact that its supposed to resembled silk screen (which it does dead on) but the only thing is i've had problems with nozzle cloggage.

When you're first out at Never Have I Ever, do you really lose the game, or do you just win at life?
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008 08:32:47 PM »

I have NO idea how cost effective this would be, but what about only offering 2 or 3 different colors and using a pump-able olive oil spray can?  I have found them on-line for around $10 and I actually purchased mine at Marshall's for around $6.  You would have to pump the air back into it rather often for this type of application, but it would get the effect you want.  You would probably have to run some very hot water or paint thinner through it when you're done to keep it clean, though. You could use fabric paint thinned with a bit of water, or acrylic paint with textile medium and water. 

There is also a Jacquard textile paint, called Dye-Na-Flow, that is very thin, but I haven't used it.  I know I've read the label before, but I couldn't tell you exactly what it's for.  However, this is what the Dharma Trading site says about it: Dye-Na-Flow is a very fluid textile paint that has the consistency of water. It can be used for water color like washes and silk painting techniques.
rude crude & tattooed

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008 10:48:21 PM »

cute idea!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008 11:41:58 PM »

you know i used spray paint on some tshirts and i wash it on hot and cold with all my other laundry all the time.  it's never washed out or faded - i'm surprised, but have you given it a shot?

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008 10:26:19 AM »

sorry I haven't been on for a long time... thanks for all the suggestions. I did try to wash the shirts in the washing machine, and some brands held up better than others. Krylon flaked a little bit, but Painter's Touch held up really well. I might have to try Simply Spray sometime though.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Black Friday Deals
Watercolor Painting: How to Paint Round Objects
Watercolor Painting: How to Paint Greens
Supervillain Origins: Catwoman
Supervillain Origins: Bane
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Felt Basket
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...