A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
447 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: recycled cereal box and remnant fabric stuffed pic frame W/ TUTORIAL  (Read 2982 times)
Tags for this thread: template , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hawtmamah
« on: September 03, 2008 10:38:18 AM »

I figured since it was kind of an interior decor project it should go here

I needed a break from my crochet hobby and though i will be picking up a free sewing machine today from freecycle, i don't really have the supplies to do an neato sewing projects but i had an EXTREME itch to create something. My grandmother showed me how to make these when i was a girl and i then showed my girl scout group at the time... it's an easy project that takes about an hour and some change to do:)

you will need:

cloth
cereal box
scissors or exacto knife
batting
glue gun
optional: random things for decorating it, transparency sheet to go over the actual picture kept in the frame.

first you need an empty cereal box (even though cereal box cardboard is kind of flimsy it still gets the job done- it's light weight enough to create a frame that you can stick a magnet to the back of and hang it on your fridge or whathaveyou) for your frame. i chose to do an oval shape for the center cutout though a rectangle or square is much easier to do!!

and your cloth: (i have had this cloth for years stuffed in the back of my closet. i didn't bother ironing it because i was too pumped on getting it done. haha.) cut out with about an inch border left around the actual measurements of your cardboard for gluing

Now you take the cardboard without the cutout  (this is the back of the frame to hide all the ugly fraying glue-gunned pieces on the inside!) and glue it to the board, using glue only on the 'inside' of the board like so:

Now for the front of the frame: in order to get the fabric wrapped on the inside of the oval shape (it's better to do the center first, btw!) i made small cuts almost to the trace-line of my template, then glued them all around while pulling the fabric snug. Oh, and i forgot to mention above, you will get CRAZY glue burns on your fingers as you do this. at least i always do, anwyay...

Now you take our batting (i took mine from an old throw pillow we didn't really like anymore) and stuff as much or as little as you'd like in there, sort of stretching it along the lengths of the frame.

Now you start gluing it all shut. as you glue, make sure you are pulling the fabric snug as you are gluing it down. This is hard because you have to hold the fabric in place until the glue cools and sets, otherwise the fabric slips back and you'll have a heck of a time fixing it. reposition/add/take out batting as you see fit, and glue the last side down:

now you have the two pieces completed. at this point you should take your scissors and try to trim down all the excess fabric that is sticking up all over the place. also if you are using a transparency (it's like the glass you would use in a 'real' frame) you can either glue it to the back of the cutout frame, or keep it free so you can slip it in and out with your picture(s).

and now, with the two 'ugly' sides facing each other glue three sides together- here i glued the right, left and bottom sides of the frame and left the top open so i could slip a picture in there.

decorate as you wish! i don't have any ribbon or buttons or appliques or anything like that ATM to decorate with, so mine will stay plain until i find something to add to it. stick a magnet to the back to hang on your fridge or on your filing cabinet at work, glue a length of ribbon to the top corners to hang it somewhere... it's a great lightweight frame you can put anywhere. Personalize the back, make it a double sided frame... make them big or small... so easy and super quick!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OhHappyDay
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008 03:31:36 PM »

Ah, you just brought back many memories for me! I am one of the 'uh-hem' older members here and I made a bijillion of those when I was in my early teens. One Christmas we had NO money for gifts so I made everyone and their uncle a set of frames for Christmas......out of calico prints (of course - it was 1979 afterall). I actually STILL have some of those puffy-frame fabrics in my stash.

Thanks for the crafty trip back in time for me (OMG that was almost 30 years ago!). It's a super cute and easy project that can be as elaborate or as simple as you want!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stephanie McClellan and Beth Hamilton Wish They Had This Talent
Bob Shepherd Talks About The Infidel
Courtney Sheinmel Talks About Positively and My So-Called Family
Missing Max Book Trailer
The Deep Kiss of Winter Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...