A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 299,162
Currently Running With Scissors:
602 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First Reusable Menstrual Pad: Completed!  (Read 3934 times)
Tags for this thread: cloth_pad  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tegatana
« on: September 02, 2008 08:38:28 PM »

Made using this tutorial:  http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/PADS.html

I did some breaking in of my new sewing machine and got a head start on Christmas gifts.  I'd been giving my crafting some thought and decided I wanted to go as environmentally-friendly as I possibly can --- as fun and interesting it's been playing around with say, polymer clay sculpting and the like, I realized that I don't want to add to our ever-growing landfills and would rather from now on stick to as much biodegradable and/or recycled materials as possible.  Hence the big kick towards working with fibre and textiles.

So I'm going to be making different patterned ones of these and giving them away in sets for some of the women on my gift list this year:

I felt the cherries where quite a propos.  Same with the cupcake fabric (below) and sushi fabric I picked up.  Unfortunately, though, I'm not having much luck finding fabric with beavers on it so far.  Anyhoo.

After having completed this one prototype, however, I've decided to go with a pattern that's not only longer, but a little wider in the "wings" to help prevent leakage (I warned you guys... :-D).  This one has a black flannel bed and is sewn with three extra layers of flannel and a nylon layer at the bottom.  Since then, I've been prepping the newer version with some recycled old terry cloth towel as the absorbent layer.  The only thing is all the tiny little bits of fluff that gets everywhere from cutting the towels up...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010 03:15:20 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

amalgam
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008 09:13:17 PM »

It will definitely be an interesting gift. Have you tried one out yet? Depending on how well it works I might have to make one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Acara
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008 11:24:33 AM »

I'm interested into making my own pads too!  Wink
Great job on this! ♥
THIS ROCKS   Logged
klum78

Actual size shown

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008 11:30:33 AM »

Nice job.  I could probably find you beaver fabric.  The mascot of the uni by me is the beaver, so it would be more collegian looking than realistic beavers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are in the process of switching over to cloth diapers.  Would love some advice, hint, tips.   Will swap for diapers!
My etsy shop: KimberlyMade
Wisty Goodness
mosli
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008 03:50:47 PM »

interesting... and strangely cute. How do they work? Machine or hand wash? are the edges surged? I may need to try this...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008 03:53:21 PM by mosli » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mosli: Etsy Shop
http://www.etsy.com/shop/mosli
Custom telescope bags, wearables, and inspired items
tegatana
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008 09:13:06 PM »

I typically use these as a backup to my "Keeper" menstrual cup and they work great.  You just have to rinse them out and then throw them in with your regular (machine) laundry.  No fuss, no muss --- just the way I like it (don't have much time for handwashing stuff).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mosli
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008 06:56:05 AM »

fascinating... honestly, this just never occured to me
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mosli: Etsy Shop
http://www.etsy.com/shop/mosli
Custom telescope bags, wearables, and inspired items
camino
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008 03:39:38 PM »

Okay,so what holds it on?  It looks uncomfortable,just like regular pads. Why not just use tampons? They're biodegradable!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lazurii

He did his first LOOK today!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008 10:56:34 PM »

No offense camino, but ew.  If the tampons are bleached that's a lot of nasty chemicals in you.  And it's a lot more money to keep on buying tampons.

I use cloth pads since when I had my son I developed an allergy to disposable pads.  Frankly, I don't have time to sew cute pads (wish I did) so I just used folded up washcloths designated for me.  Works well enough.  Then I just wash them with my cloth diapers.

Please, I direct everyone to this site:  http://www.goods4girls.org/   
It's a site that sends cloth pads to girls in Africa.  It's a great cause and every little bit helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rockindancer86

$2.99 a gallon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008 02:01:50 AM »

Okay,so what holds it on?  It looks uncomfortable,just like regular pads. Why not just use tampons? They're biodegradable!!

Actually, I find them much more comfortable - no rustly diaper noises, no rashes or itching from the chemicals and plastic, etc. Also, they can be held on with snaps, velcro, whatever. Tampons may be biodegradable, but their packaging isn't, and the chemicals involved aren't good for the environment. Plus, they're disposable, so you use tons of them. Biodegradable or not, that's wasteful. Cloth pads are multi-use and last for a long time, plus you can make them to the perfect shape for your body. No more leaks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life-in-Japan, crafts, musings, etc blog here: "Gooooo Japan!" at http://www.rockindancer86.blogspot.com

Excuse me, Mister Pete, have the Cubans a different beat? If they have will you teach me to chick-chick-chicky-boom, chick-chicky-boom?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear the Sweatshirt Trend
Mondays With André: Marc Jacobs on the Pajamas Trend
Mondays With André: Oxford Union Signature Style
Mondays With André: Michelle Obama Fahion
The Embroidered Oscar De La Renta Floral Dress
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...