A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,068
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Durian cozy - with irony (img heavy)  (Read 11119 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AlternaWidget

More insects to worry about

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008 04:07:13 PM »

If ever there was a maligned thing that needed a cozy, it must surely be the durian, but did anyone ever do it before? I think not. Smiley
I wiki'd it because I was looking for something about bats or whatnot, but instead found a warning sign:

and a funny quote: "Anthony Bourdain, while a lover of durian, relates his encounter with the fruit as thus: "Its taste can only be described as...indescribable, something you will either love or despise. ...Your breath will smell as if you'd been French-kissing your dead grandmother."

I salute your cozy creativity!!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008 04:08:28 PM by AlternaWidget » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Riki
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008 07:58:11 PM »

haha I saw the preview picture and thought "Oh my, what is a durian doing on craftster??" I just got back from 6 months in Thailand and somehow managed to never truly try it.

I bought a piece one time at lunch time, not knowing what it was (I actually like the smell of them so it didn't occur to me that it was the 'stinky fruit'). But then all the secretaries were running up and down the hall spraying airfreshener everywhere and it was too embarrassing so I threw it away Sad

I did try to eat a bite but it smelled like an electrical burn when it got close! I should have tried the sticky rice and durian or durian ice cream, but I was traumatized. Ahhhh durian....
You made me laugh! Like the aroma but not necessarily the taste! I learned to love durian when I lived in Sarawak, where it is not cultivated, simply gathered off the forest floor, so is generally much riper than the Thai people like - sweeter and more aromatic! So the Thai style of eating durian that is crunchy goes against the grain. Not sweet and creamy at all! But that is funny about the secretaries! Too bad we didn't hook up - I could have led you to a wonderful durian treat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Riki
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008 08:01:41 PM »

I love the lunch basket cozy. And I too am intrigued by the fruit. I just got to go to a GINORMOUS Pacific Asian market and they have durian (jackfruit) in a can.  Maybe that's the way to go if you don't want to have the whole fruit.
Although jackfruit is supposed to be a member of the same family as durian - taste, texture, everything is just very, very different. My sister loves jackfruit - but is the only one in our family that does not like durian (fine with us, more for the rest of us to share!!!)

As far as I know, they haven't canned durian yet. Somehow, I think the canning temperature would ruin it. However, you can get it frozen. Pretty tasteless, blah, but, as my dad says, better than nothing when you need a durian fix!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Riki
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008 08:04:06 PM »

Durian is like eating an onion, but.... different texture. I don't know it tastes like onion to me. I don't like it....... at all. I'm not afraid to eat new things, but I don't have to eat them twice. I love the cozy. I have a friend who loves the fruit. He gets these durian wafer cookies and his girlfriend will not let him eat them in the house. Smiley
When I was a kid in Sarawak, the other missionaries there brought their blind son over and told him nothing about durian. They put one under his bed. He said "Where are the rotten tomatoes here?" - the smell reminded him of the tomatoes rotting in the sun in Lodi, California. I have heard it compared to onion before, too - but have never myself seen the similarities! Of course, I could be prejudiced, you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Riki
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2008 08:07:14 PM »

If ever there was a maligned thing that needed a cozy, it must surely be the durian, but did anyone ever do it before? I think not. Smiley
I wiki'd it because I was looking for something about bats or whatnot, but instead found a warning sign:

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/thumbs/140px-Singapore_MRT_Fines.jpg[/img][/url]

and a funny quote: "Anthony Bourdain, while a lover of durian, relates his encounter with the fruit as thus: "Its taste can only be described as...indescribable, something you will either love or despise. ...Your breath will smell as if you'd been French-kissing your dead grandmother."

I salute your cozy creativity!!
Ah, yes the signs! you will find them in most of the hotels at the entrance to the lift (elevator)! And you will get kicked off an air-conditioned bus if you have some! (now if only they'd kick people off the bus that come on eating roast calamari!)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008 07:40:20 AM by jungrrl - Reason: Please don't quote images - thanks! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

gabby1770
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2008 09:10:20 PM »

I love it - i think i need a basket cozy too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bcgrote

Why doesn't evolution work with embroidery kits?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2008 12:00:50 AM »

That is VERY useful!  I bet you could ALMOST get away with taking it on the bus!

I agree, put the nicely ripened fruit in there and SEAL IT!!!  LOL!

This is awesome, and ironic!  And I really like the basket cozy, too!  It's pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If your site doesn't support Firefox, Firefox users won't support your site!
Gomerriffic
Meet my friend, Mr. Lemmy Lime!

Exsqueeze me?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2008 07:24:57 AM »

Thanks for the education! One day maybe I'll get my chance to experience durian firsthand. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mlheran

Jack of all trades

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2008 04:45:29 PM »

I love BOTH uses of your cozy -and the colors!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest
swaps: -
MarisaLoveCat
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2008 01:35:38 AM »

dose it ....the durian have a strange tastes? i haven't eaten it ever. i just heard it from a friend.  Cheesy i love the its cozy as well as the lunch basket cozy. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jennifer Weiner Reads from Best Friends Forever Part 5
Eugene Jarecki Wishes He Had This Talent
Beauty & the Beast: A Stunning Pop-Up from Robert Sabuda
Meet Lisa Lutz
Greg Donaldson Talks About Zebratown
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...