A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
401 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Durian cozy - with irony (img heavy)  (Read 11826 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Avian Flight
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008 08:01:47 PM »

omg.. I fear the durian.. lol the smell makes me gag. But I've heard that it tastes really sweet if you get past the smell. I don't think I ever will. Yay for a durian cozy to keep the smell away from me!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
runningwolf

Loving mother nature <3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008 10:43:55 PM »

HAHA! Thats just awesome! I know one thing for sure, make sure your on a somewhat empty stomach first before eating one, because that fruit will point the needle on full in no time.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Riki
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008 11:12:19 PM »

You opened a durian, willingly?  Brave woman.  My grandmother opened one once at my house.  It smelled for days.  I wish now that I'd tried some, but we haven't had any since... I wonder why... Wink

Very cute (I wasn't sure that durians could be cute, but now I know!) and good repurposing!  The cozy looks very good on the basket.
WILLINGLY? Hah! I have to tell you, I bought the durian whole just for the pictures - we generally have the sellers open them and we take just the meat home because they are SO hard to open - but while I was sitting there after taking the pictures, I just couldn't stand it, the siren call of that aroma! So I didn't even wait for hubby to come home, took out the chopper and opened it myself. YUM!

I do admit that the lingering odor when not fresh is not as enticing ...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Riki
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008 11:14:32 PM »

Oh heavens I LOVE durian. Especially in icecream or custard form.
Ah, here on the outskirts of Bangkok (in the middle of what USED to be a durian orchard before nasty highway came in and instead there are housing estates) - we have a little guy on a bicycle that comes ringing his bell and he has durian ice cream - made at home - with coconut milk. YUM! Just the treat for a hot day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kleinsch
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008 05:47:54 AM »

LMAO!!!! DURIAN cosy!  Oh my. Tears are coming down my face.  You rock.  And you make glad I now live thousands of miles away from the nearest durian vendor.  That smell . . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The more children are valued, the better their values will be.
LeapFeetFirst
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008 05:52:47 AM »

I am moving to Bangkok next year, so I might have to make me a durian cozy! I like the fact that yours can be used for dual purposes.
Oooooooooooooooo, moving to Bangkok? Can we start a crafting group, huh? It gets lonely here! I have a hard time with the Thai words for knitting and crocheting and all of that, though my Thai is fluent otherwise! And I'd be happy to introduce you to Mr. Durian!

That sounds awesome! I would love craft with someone who can speak english and thai!! I haven't decided if I can work up the nerve to try durian yet, but I have quite a few months to warm up to the idea  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

audsnico
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008 08:25:15 AM »

haha I saw the preview picture and thought "Oh my, what is a durian doing on craftster??" I just got back from 6 months in Thailand and somehow managed to never truly try it.

I bought a piece one time at lunch time, not knowing what it was (I actually like the smell of them so it didn't occur to me that it was the 'stinky fruit'). But then all the secretaries were running up and down the hall spraying airfreshener everywhere and it was too embarrassing so I threw it away Sad

I did try to eat a bite but it smelled like an electrical burn when it got close! I should have tried the sticky rice and durian or durian ice cream, but I was traumatized. Ahhhh durian....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissTessaMelissa
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008 09:14:34 AM »

Durian is like eating an onion, but.... different texture. I don't know it tastes like onion to me. I don't like it....... at all. I'm not afraid to eat new things, but I don't have to eat them twice. I love the cozy. I have a friend who loves the fruit. He gets these durian wafer cookies and his girlfriend will not let him eat them in the house. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares.
Gomerriffic
Meet my friend, Mr. Lemmy Lime!

Exsqueeze me?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008 09:19:31 AM »

I love the lunch basket cozy. And I too am intrigued by the fruit. I just got to go to a GINORMOUS Pacific Asian market and they have durian (jackfruit) in a can.  Maybe that's the way to go if you don't want to have the whole fruit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lil_abi
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008 01:49:22 PM »

I saw the thumbnail and exclaimed, durian!

I don't believe this!  At work today we were talking about Asian wacko fruits and veggies, and I brought up the durian.  No one had ever heard of one before, so I described it as a pricky (can't even hold it in your hands) fruit that you crack open to reveal grapefruit-style segments, and it smells like rancid chicken.  That was my experience.  DH tried some on our honeymoon in Bali to be polite, but I couldn't get past the smell. 

If ever something needed a cozy, it's this fruit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nikki Reed In Little Black Dress Promoting Breaking Dawn In London
How to Stay Comfy and Casual in Chunky Knits
Get Halloween Costume Inspiration from Nicole Richie
How to Spice Up an LBD with a Metallic Trim
Burgundy Leather - Celebrity Looks For Less
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...