A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,634
Currently Running With Scissors:
484 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Serger Suggestions?  (Read 3370 times)
Tags for this thread: serger  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fraugee728

I have crafting ADHD. Seriously.

View Profile WWW
« on: September 02, 2008 08:54:52 AM »

Hey all!

I've been sewing for over 10 years, but don't have a serger.  I really hate trying to deal with knits on my sewing machine and have decided to purchase a serger.

I had my eye on the  Huskylock 936, since it has the coverstitch as well, but the $1400 sale price (and the sale is now over...) made me just a wee bit shy.  I'm thinking I'll just go with something that doesn't have a coverstitch, since I don't really want to spend that much cash.

I see that Sewing With Nancy has an EZ lock serger for $249, and was wondering if anyone had one of these or has ever tried one out.  Otherwise, if you have a recommendation for a serger that is under $500-$600, I'd be very appreciative!

Thanks! Smiley
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008 08:55:35 AM by Fraugee728 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step one:  Collect Underpants
Step two:  ? ? ?
Step three:  Profit!

http://sometimessewist.wordpress.com
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008 12:19:55 PM »

There are plenty of decent sergers under $500. At that price you will have to tame the Threading Diagram Monster, but once you gert the hang of it it's not too terrible.
No matter which one you buy, read the threading instructions six times before you try threading it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fraugee728

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008 12:29:10 PM »

So you think any ol' serger will work well?  What serger do you have, and what do you like/dislike about it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elijor
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008 04:46:13 PM »

It has been awhile since I shopped for a serger but at that time switching between regular serging and cover stitch was a big PITA so you might want to investigate that. I went with no cover stitch - I figured a twin needle on my sewing machine worked just as well as cover stitch. I did end up getting a cover stitch only machine later but only because it was practically free. To tell the truth I hardly use it though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008 04:50:29 PM »

I find most sergers run comperable in quality & ease of use as their counterpart sewing machines, Singer cheapie sewing machine = Singer cheapier serger. Baby Lock being the exception because sergers are their primary product & sewing machines are far secondary. But their sergers are good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dropdeadred77
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008 01:08:15 AM »

I just bought the Huskylock 910 and so far it's great. Threading wasn't actually that big a deal, for a low-end manual type, not the nightmare I was expecting after first glance at the diagram! I felt comfortable with this brand because I've had the huskystar 207 basic of basics for a couple of years now and that thing is fantastic for being $200 new.

I did see a 5 thread Huskylock that threads itself, but those kind of machines are just out of my price range as a hobbyist.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fionasmom
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008 08:16:19 AM »

I have the Babylock 097 http://www.babylock.ca/canadian-products/  for 3 days now.  It is my first serger.  I find it easy to thread, I can do it without looking at the manual.  It is still very new to me but I already made a few things with it.  It does not adjust the tension automatically like the 1000$ model but I found the tension settings suggested in the manual very accurate.  Today I work on trying to make a rolled hem that looks good!

I paid 449$ CAN for the machine.  With taxes and the stuff I bought, (9 cones of thread, a book, a vacuum cleaner adapter to clean my 4 machines)  it came up to 674$
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's four o'clock somewhere.
Fraugee728

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008 02:17:35 PM »

I've been thinking about just going for the Babylock Imagine. 

Definitely more than I wanted to spend, but after reading about how terribly frustrating and discouraging dealing with tension and threading is, it just seems so nice and convenient.

Plus, I'm actually going to go ahead and start designing and sewing things together hardcore to sell at craft fairs...notably the Holidy Craftacular in Madison, WI (am already selling on etsy...though, don't have much stock and haven't made many sales), so this serger is probably going to turn into a business expense for me.

Thanks for all of the recommendations!  If you know anyone who has and loves their Imagine, please let me know.  I tried IMing someone who posted about hers a while back, but never heard anything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shesxautomatic

my mom says i'm a catch.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008 12:24:07 PM »

Thanks for all of the recommendations!  If you know anyone who has and loves their Imagine, please let me know.  I tried IMing someone who posted about hers a while back, but never heard anything.

i have a babylock imagine and i cannot BEGIN to sing it's praises. i bought it a little less than a year ago and use it almost daily. i'd been sewing on a cheapie singer serger for a couple of years, trying to figure out the entire threading/tension deal (which i never completely got the hang of), and it eventually got to the point where i never changed the thread and ended up sewing black on white and so forth.

the imagine is neat because of the self-threading, and the self-tension, and the stitches are just beautiful. it's really easy to change stitches, too, say from a 3 thread rolled hem to a 4 thread overlock. it's a really expensive machine, but definitely worth the money. just like a sewing machine - you get what you pay for. definitely get you one - you won't be disappointed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"i didn't mean to maim you.
i only meant to kill you."

www.lladybird.wordp ress.com
www.wickedtomatofac tory.etsy.com
Fraugee728

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008 12:46:24 PM »

i have a babylock imagine and i cannot BEGIN to sing it's praises. i bought it a little less than a year ago and use it almost daily. i'd been sewing on a cheapie singer serger for a couple of years, trying to figure out the entire threading/tension deal (which i never completely got the hang of), and it eventually got to the point where i never changed the thread and ended up sewing black on white and so forth.

the imagine is neat because of the self-threading, and the self-tension, and the stitches are just beautiful. it's really easy to change stitches, too, say from a 3 thread rolled hem to a 4 thread overlock. it's a really expensive machine, but definitely worth the money. just like a sewing machine - you get what you pay for. definitely get you one - you won't be disappointed!

Yes...I do believe I need to own this serger.

By the way, I love your stuff!  When I saw your post here I was like "that avatar looks familiar..." and I looked at your topics started and was like "Oh yeah!  She's great!"  Haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Felted Flowers
How to Crochet Flowers
How to Rib Stitch Crochet
How to Make a Duct Tape Sports Hand
How to Make a Duct Tape Tri-Fold Wallet
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...