A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
459 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What do you think of my male necklace designs?  (Read 3154 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SoftFlexGuy
« on: February 23, 2005 02:50:56 PM »

Greetings all,

I just wanted to post some of my necklaces to see what everybody thought. Please give me honest opinions. The pieces are all designed to be worn by men. So far, alot of people have told me I ought to opt for lobster clasps rather than toggles. What do you think? I am designing them for myself and not to sell, but would like ideas on how I can improve them or if they look alright as is...

http://www.photodump.com/direct/SoftFlexGuy/ResizedNECKLACETHREE-CLOSEDCLASP315.jpg

http://www.photodump.com/direct/SoftFlexGuy/ResizeNECKLACETWO538.jpg

http://www.photodump.com/direct/SoftFlexGuy/ResizeNECKLACEONE569.jpg
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011 06:17:28 AM by TheSapphireMoon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ralph
no... gone completely

The fat man walks alone.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005 06:20:53 PM »

Those are really awesome!

I'd wear them, I am a girl (thought I'd clarify that, apparently people get confused), although I think they're pretty unisex. But at the end of the day, all that matters is if you like them.

On the clasp question I think everyone has their own preference as to what they like to use and wear. I like toggles for their asthetic qualities( I think they look awsome) but don't really have much experience with them. I'd use what you feel comfortable using, If you've had no trouble with toggles, stick with them for now.

Hope this helps, I think it sound a bit rambly and caffinated,
-Ralph 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have decided that the hokey pokey is what it's all about.

Post a project on every completed project board on craftster: 30/39
Al-most-there.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=329582.msg3997110#msg3997110
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005 12:14:14 PM »

Really cool, personally I like the second one more, mainly 'cause I prefer cold colors, but the first looks more "male" so to speak Wink
Couldn't see the images until I checked the sourcecode and opened the img-links in a different window though - after that they popped up here as well
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
SoftFlexGuy
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005 01:48:27 PM »

Wow,

My pictures are acting pretty dodgy. I can see them some days and not others. Well, hopefully they work for the rest of you. Thanks for the comments so far.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

btyqnfrmmars
just an undiscovered soul in the great unknown

I'd rather die than fade away

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005 02:15:53 PM »

I really like the last one! maybe you should just post the links
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005 02:17:24 PM by btyqnfrmmars » THIS ROCKS   Logged

You and me
We're invincible together
We can be so tragical, whatever
We're Sid and Nancy
Fred and Ginger
Clyde and Bonnie
Liz and Richard
Kurt and Courtney
Bacall and Bogie
Joltin' Joe and Ms. Monroe
Here's captain crash and the beauty queen from mars
Ayn
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005 04:35:09 PM »

Hiya SoftFlexGuy!

Hey forget 'male' -- I'd definitely wear a coupla those myself -- first because I adore toggles (my favorite clasp type) and second because I really like the design & colors in the third necklace & in the last one up there.

I'm wondering, whereabouts do you live, and do men there wear that type of necklace?
We must be in an extremely conservative / fashion-backward area  -- well duh okay it IS "The Rural Wilds"! Only very rarely around here do I notice a male of any age wearing so much as a plain gold or silver chain, never mind something in colored beads with a fancy clasp.

As for whether or not the toggles are ok ... guess you'd have to judge that according to how 'au courant' the guys in your area are?

Just me personally, I like toggle closures for being easy to open/close but also for this reason :

A plain lobster claw or a plain spring clasp isn't supposed to be seen.  It's just kinda, well, PLAIN (sometimes kinda ugly too).  When a necklace with that type of clasp shifts around (and they allllways do!) , I'm always havin' to shove it around so the clasp is nicely hidden at the back of my neck.

With a toggle who cares! It's attactive. It's often quite interesting. When in front or at the side it's almost like a focal point.  I don't care if everyone sees it & in fact I often 'prefer' having it in front or at the side instead of at the back.

And I think maybe some guys might see it that way too -- the less fidgeting needed, the better?
However ... it's also possible that some might consider a nice big heavy plain "S clasp" perhaps a bit more 'masculine'-looking than a toggle?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005 11:07:59 PM by Ayn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ralph
no... gone completely

The fat man walks alone.

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2005 07:09:40 PM »

Hey Ayn,

Could you explain an "S clasp" a bit better for the ignorant?

And I agree that toggles are beautiful.

-Ralph
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Al-most-there.
SoftFlexGuy
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005 10:23:20 AM »

Ayn,

Wow. Thanks for the glowing post. I like the toggles, but most people think they look out of place. I just wanted to get some second opinions. I have seen a couple of necklaces where they were used as focal pieces, but these were all ladies necklaces. Maybe I will try a male version sometime.
   Where is the "Rural Wilds"? I can think of a couple places I have been to that could take that title, but none that were actually tagged with that name.  Wink
    I live in Arizona. For the most part, the area I live is fairly forward thinking. I live near a large college, so it is not hard to find a guy who wears a necklace here and there. I like beading necklaces more than I like wearing them. I have also taken to making men's bracelets. I am more fond of earrings than anything else. I have double-aught gauged eyelets in each ear and there is a lot of there room to customize.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ayn
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2005 05:49:19 AM »

Hi Ralph!

Heyyy *nobody* here at Craftster is ignorant & 'specially not YOU, lol ... we're all simply "in the process of learning."

Okay below you'll see a whole bunch of sterling S clasps so you can see what they look like -- and FMG is only one of many many possible sources online.  Local crafts stores or specifically-'bead' shops should have a few styles too.
Although S clasps might be available in other metals, in my experience it's really best to use sterling. Possibly also copper that is if you can find any in copper.  ...
and as you can see from the simplicity of the style, yep it's perfectly possible to make your own S clasps out of thickish copper or sterling wire (that is, wire with a fairly LOW gauge number; the higher the gauge number, the 'thinner' the wire) :

http://www.firemountaingems.com/shopping.asp?skw=KWCLASPSTERLINGSSHAPE

Hi again, Softflexguy :

heehee well of course the area in Virginia where we somehow for some reason managed to retire is not actually 'named' "The Rural Wilds" -- that's just what I always call it.

Having lived & travelled in quite a few different places in the US & other countries before retirement though, hub & I definitely know what you mean about the term being readily applicable to mannnnnyyy different areas, lolol.

Arizona's just an amazingly interesting state; we always found it to be beautiful & inspiring in many different ways.  And yes like a couple of others among our western states it always seemed to me to be quite trendsetting & 'fashion-forward' especially in the jewelry arts.

And ooo do you get to go to the huge Tucson gem/jewelry wingding every year?!?! If so I'm juuuust insaaanely jealous!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ralph
no... gone completely

The fat man walks alone.

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005 03:02:08 PM »

Thanks Ayn,

for the info and affirmation, I feel all fuzzy now!

I  really want to start usng s clasps now, they are so beautiful!

Sorry to hijack this post, I love the necklaces too, the reason I keep checking this post is to keep looking at them. Post some of your other jewellery too so we can absorb your brilliance.

-Ralph
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Al-most-there.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Dad from The Amazing Gumball
How to Draw a Cute Dragon
How to Draw Cro Marmot from Happy Tree Friends
Creating an Entirely Different Kind of Panorama with Photoshop
How to Create an Animated GIF Using Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...