A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,514
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rib Binding  (Read 795 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kristilaw
« on: September 01, 2008 08:36:35 PM »

So, I finally figured out how to make a knit playdress, but the ribbing for the neckline is a S.O.B.!!!! Is there an easy way to do this?? I pinned it to death, but my stitching is just sad, sad, sad...Help!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KitschyCoo
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008 02:10:21 AM »

What exactly is it doing?  Bunching, waving, eneven?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kristilaw
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008 09:03:10 AM »

Waving, big time! I actually attached it all and the actual binding is on there straight (mostly!  Wink) but, the actual stitching is a mess! I sewed the shoulder seams first and then tried the neck binding...I have another pattern that says to sew one shoulder, do binding and then stitch other shoulder, but i didn't really 'get' that??
I just want simple knit dresses--but I think that I am making it harder than it should be!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kristilaw
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008 09:07:11 AM »

BTW, I am using Ottobre 3/08, pattern 12.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
holly1021
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008 08:47:45 PM »

Be sure to stretch the ribbing, but not the neckline, as you sew it on. . .Sometimes just steaming the neckline when you're done can make it look better, too.  Smiley

There's a great tute here with step-by-step photos:  http://sewinspired.blogspot.com/2007/07/t-shirt-bound-neckline-tutorial.html.  (There's also a tute for a T-shirt neckband, which personally I've found a lot easier than binding!  Smiley
I have another pattern that says to sew one shoulder, do binding and then stitch other shoulder, but i didn't really 'get' that??

If you do it that way, you don't sew the ends of the ribbing together first--you just attach the strip of ribbing to the open neckline, then sew the second shoulder seam to close the neckline.  So the second shoulder seam continues *through* the ribbing, if that makes sense?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008 08:51:41 PM by holly1021 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
KitschyCoo
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008 12:00:38 PM »

If it's waving only where you're using the binding (i.e. hems, seams etc are fine), I'd agree that you need to make sure that the shirt neck isn't being stretched even through you are stretching the ribbing (lot o' pins  Angry ).  If it's waving all over the place, your settings and needle maybe need to change.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bansheewoman
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008 08:08:01 AM »

HTH I had the same problem and I had a pattern that said to stay stitch the neckline before you add the ribbing and it was MUCH easier.  Smiley  I also agree the stretch ONLY the ribbing and not the neckline.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
how to Bring Drawings to Life Part 2/2 - Adobe After Effects
How to Create someone Firing a Gun - Scratch
How to Use Shadow Boxes - Dreamweaver
How to Create a Glossy Textured X - Adobe Photoshop
How to Tween - Adobe Flash CS3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...