A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,120
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how do i incorporate this ribbon neckpiece thing into a garment???  (Read 582 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mixedchick
« on: September 01, 2008 06:53:53 PM »

so i see this as a stunning v-neck of a blouse/dress/etc -or- maybe a back v-neck..either way i have no idea how to sew it on a garment. it's made of shiny/satin-y ribbon sewn in a zig zag-ish design. the ribbon is only sewn on one edge so the whole piece is 3 dimensional. it's sewn onto a matching pink mesh (organza?) which has a pretty wide seam allowance all the way around the ribbon. check the pics because i'm not really explaining it well...

i probably shouldn't have purchased this seeing as how it's beyond a mystery to me, but it was too pretty to leave in the store! please help! any info/links would be uber-helpful!

and a closeup of the backing...

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love is a verb, not a noun.

God is Good. God is Love.
RobinCraftster
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008 08:06:14 PM »

You could sew it to a pink, black, or white t-shirt, then cut away the neckline of the t-shirt. You could sew the right side of the collar to the wrong side of the shirt. then when you cut away the shirt, the collar will be revealed. hopefully the folds of the ribbon will cover the raw edge of the shirt.
To sew it on, you could use two lines of stitching - an inner line, along the outside edge of the collar, and an outer line, a half inch or so outside that, to strengthen the connection. the stitching along the collar could be zig-zag stitching. Then trim the shirt along the inner stitching, leaving a raw edge, or trim a half inch inside the inner stitching, and make a tiny hem. Then trim the mesh along the outer stitching, a little outside it.
Before sewing, pin the collar in place. While pinning, stick some cardboard between the front and back of the shirt so you don't pin through the back of the shirt. Then pin the collar in place every inch or so.
Do your inner row of stitching sewing from the back, so you can see where the collar meets the mesh and sew right there.
To finish the inside edge of the ribbon-collar, turn under the mesh and hem. if the inside edge seems weak, trim with some matching binding instead of hemming. before turning under the mesh or binding, clip the V. before clipping the V, stay-stitch so it doesn't fray where you clip it.
Hope this makes sense...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mixedchick
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008 02:23:35 AM »

yes! that made sense! thanks so much, i never even thought of sewing it on a whole shirt and then cutting around it. makes perfect sense. and also gave me other ideas about how to work around it.

thank you Smiley

now i just have to find some yummy fabric/shirt to do this with. . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RobinCraftster
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008 06:44:54 AM »

Smiley A zipper foot might be useful in sewing this, if you do your sewing by machine. A normal presser foot might ride too high on the thick ribbon areas. A zipper foot can be positioned so that the foot does not ride on the thick ribbon areas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mixedchick
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008 07:29:51 PM »

yessss....good point! gosh, i just love this site and the vast knowledge of all the craftsters.

thank you, thank you, thank you Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RobinCraftster
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008 01:49:36 PM »

:-) YOur piece reminds me of fancy embroidered bridal lace. The techniques for applying fancy embroidered lace to the neckline of a wedding gown could work for you too, in applying your ribbon piece to the neckline of a t-shirt. Here's a good book on the ins and outs of lace applique:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K4C4YG/
This is the link for the 1980 edition, but the book is still in print, I guess cause it's a good one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fold an Origami Booklet
How to Fold an Origami Millennium Falcon
How to Fold an Origami Orchid
How to Fold an Origami Lily Flower
How to Fold an Origami Bunny Rabbit
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...