As I spied Teresa's free pattern for a Rasta Hat on her blog The Art of Crochet (at: http://crochet-mania.blogspot.com/2008/03/blog-post_31.html
), I felt tingly with delight. Oh boy!
A rasta hat of my very own? Never mind the interesting
popcorn stitches (sorry Teresa), I knew that I wanted to have that hat!
While Teresa's videos were extremely handy, I couldn't help but feeling something was amiss as I crocheted away. When I finished, of course, I proudly went to the mirror to try it on...only to find out I looked like a cross between a mushroom and a contestant on Top Chef
. Of course, this was less of a pattern error and more of a user error. Though, I have to admit, even Teresa's finished project does look a little what I had done.
However, I was still determined to be one of the cool kids on the block-sans the dreadlocks. So, after spending roughly six hours on the aforementioned project, I completed this one in about three or so. It's basically an increasing circle, a couple of rounds of dc in the same sts, and then a couple of decreasing stitches every 6 sts. And, of course, whatever band you like.
Modeled by my boyfriend's marvelous living room lamp.
Another with the lamp off.
And, just for kicks, the serious disaster I first ended up with:
Considering that I'm not one of the Mario Brothers, I'm much happier with the second one.