A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,152
Currently Running With Scissors:
620 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: polyester blends and quilting  (Read 428 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mojomuppet
« on: September 01, 2008 05:31:07 PM »

i purchased some very nice looking fabrics at a thift shop today. one is 55% cotton and 45% poly the other is 70% poly and 30% cotton. what quilting projects would they be good for? can i use these in the same project (they do match)?  i have quite a bit of this fabric so i can make something quite large so any ideas would be apreciated. oh and there is a light, med, and dark Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i have to make things for my house as all my money goes to feed two cats, a dog, a hedgehog, a tarantula, two frogs, a snake and two humans
Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008 03:51:05 PM »

Use it for whatever you want!   Polyester blends tend to ravel more, so you may want to avoid small pieces, and use a slightly wider seam allowance. 

For my own quilts, I only use 100% cotton.  I prefer the way it feels/handles, etc.  But it is your fabric, your quilt. Do what you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
mojomuppet
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008 06:34:45 PM »

do you think they would be good for say a quilted sleeping bag or makeup bags? dont they clean up easier if they stain? i think these would make an awsome gift for a young girl, im just not sure what to do with this type of fabric.

http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e186/peasryucky/crafster%20pics/?action=view&current=DSC00152.jpg
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008 09:43:29 PM by mojomuppet » THIS ROCKS   Logged

i have to make things for my house as all my money goes to feed two cats, a dog, a hedgehog, a tarantula, two frogs, a snake and two humans
Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008 12:50:07 PM »

Whole cloth quilting projects would probably be best - like the sleeping bag or make-up bag.  Polyester ravels, so intricate piecing isn't a good idea.  Market/grocery bags are another idea.  There are some terrific bags and tutorials on Craftster. One of my favorites is the grocery bag tutorial by Queen of DIY: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=177482.msg1837265#msg1837265.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make DIY Tassel Jewelry
How to Make DIY Shrinky Dink Jewelry
How to Make a Pastel Pearl Wooden Bead Necklace
The Delicate Art of the Faberge Egg
Jewelry Cleaning Tips
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...