A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,676
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Panacea in a box" NOW Pictures of the Result!! Scroll Down  (Read 1856 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Shraailsha
« on: February 23, 2005 11:04:36 AM »

Hi!

Start of March is my mother's birthday and as usual, I don't know what to buy. You know, she's the kind of mom saying "Buy me something useful", but you don't feel like burdening her with some extra household tool! But at the same time, it is quite complex because she does not have many hobbies. Well, she does, but she's always too busy (she wish she had 2 more days in the week) and her disease (polyarthritis) often prevents her from devoting herself to her hobbies (which are mainly gardening and knitting).

So lack of time, pain and low spirits always make her see the bad side of things.

Could you help me find gift ideas? I can't spend too much money on it.

Shraailsha
« Last Edit: March 20, 2005 04:39:49 AM by Shraailsha » THIS ROCKS   Logged
woodchick
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005 01:45:27 PM »

Do you live nearby?  It'd be great (and free for you) if you set up a time to come each week and do the house cleaning... vacuuming, bathrooms, dusting, laundry... that sort of thing.

Mom would gain some time back during the week for herself, you'd save a little money and the gift would certainly be practical Smiley

~woodchick
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the Blog: www.prwdot.org
Shraailsha
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005 01:04:58 AM »

I still live with her and I already do what you say... But she doesn't seem to see it. Well, OK, I could do more  Wink

I thought about something... She is always complaining about... well about everything... but particularly about her pains. When it's not her back, it's her stomach, otherwise her head or her feet, and so on...

I really like the "........... in a box" ideas and I thought maybe a "Panacea in a box" or something like that would be fun.

But what to put in? I thought a book about "positive attitude against pain", bandages, some kind of natural balm for muscles, those hot/cold water bottles with a kind of gel in it to place on painful areas...

What else, any ideas??

For the box itself, I have several ideas:

- wrap the box in bandage, like a mummy
- medicine cabinet
- patched up box with band aids everywhere
- turn my box into an ambulance... more complicated but my favorite idea... Any ideas how to do it?

So if you've got ideas of what to put in and how to decorate the box, you're welcome!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyCarrie
Tutorial Contributor

Good at everything...Great at nothing

i crafted a kid

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005 01:19:23 AM »

I have Fibromyalgia, which is similar to arthritis.  Lots of aches and pains.  I love those rice pouches that you put in the microwave.  I'm not sure what they are called, but I've seen them at a kiosk at every mall I've ever been too.  I've even seen them at some drug stores like Walgreens and CVS.

It is like a pillow filled with some kind of rice.  You put it in the microwave for 3 minutes and it stays warm for about an hour.  You place them on your skin or clothes.  They make the pain melt away and keep you warm.  They are great for aches and pains, cramps, and migraines.

I tried to make one using rice, but it burned in the microwave.  Unless you can figure out EXACTY what belongs in it, I suggest that you buy one.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyCarrie
Tutorial Contributor

i crafted a kid

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005 01:46:33 AM »

I did a bit o f research for you.  THis website explains how to make them.

http://www.quiltbus.com/microwave-bags.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jujubecraftin
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005 02:02:40 AM »

Arnica is wonderful for aches and pains, so a salve, lotion, or balm with arnica would be great for this. If by some very random chance you are located in or near seattle, there's a stand in pike place market  called Moon Valley Honey which has a really fabulous balm (i think it's just called pain relief) with arnica in it.  they have a website www.moonvalleyhoney.com     which tells you about the products and stores around the U.S. which carry them.  Otherwise, other arnica lotions can be found at drugstores and health food stores.  I like the ambulance idea for the box too.  maybe also some essential oils conducive to calm and pain relief for aromatherapy and soothing baths, hmm on that note, maybe some soothing bath salts would be good too.  And i think any panacea kit should include a really good dark chocolate bar, cause that always makes things feel a bit better! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shraailsha
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005 04:37:58 AM »

Thanks to both of you!

I've seen the tutorial to make a hot bag, if I don't find what I want, I'll try to do one. I reckon I'm a bit afraid it would explode in the microwave or end up with pop corn in it!  Grin I've found references of gel hot/cold packs, I hope I'll find them in my region. Anyway, I think I'll try to make a cover for the pack and find a way to write a kind of philosophical quote on it... The thing is I'm not too good at sewing, nor at embroidering  Angry

Well Jujubecraftin' I'm not nearby Seattle, not even in the US but I'll check out in herboristories for aromatherapy baths.

By the way I've found a truck box template! Now I need to find a piece of cardboard big enough to get a decent size box! And a way to decorate it and turn it into an ambulance...

I'm always open to your ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jujubecraftin
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2005 06:09:28 AM »

hmmm..well if you happen to be in europe, i've found arnica lotion here (at least in the czech republic) in drugstores, pharmacies, and even in grocery stores in the toiletries section.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Singalala

Life is too short to wear ugly shoes

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2005 06:07:05 PM »

you can write your text on the hot bag with a stencil or freehand with textilepaint. Or use a big textile marker and just write it on.
And the sewing is quite easy, just try it once...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have been seriously ill. I will get back to everyone to finish up all swaps and stuff. I am home now.

My wists http://www.wists.com/singalala

Junk jewelry swap: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=322611.0
Ongoing ATC swap: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=322889
Shraailsha
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2005 04:47:19 AM »

Well here are the pics of the result.

The box I made:

In which I put a cold/hot pack against pain, a cold mask against headaches, some bath and massage products, and a ticket to go to a fair devoted to health and well-being.

I also made a card:

The inside:

I wrote a quote on the card (in French), in English, it gives "Even if you have an iron health (I suppose it doesn't mean anything in English but in French, it's the way we say a person has a very good and strong health), you always end up rusty". Well it's a play on words in French, it doesn't work in English...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Paint on Hardboard or Wood with Acrylic Paint
How to Control Opacity and Brightness with Acrylic Paint
How to Paint a Mural With a Projector
How to Mix Acrylic Paint Colors
How to Keep Acrylic Paint from Drying Too Fast
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...