A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,606
Currently Running With Scissors:
499 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Feedback please!  (Read 5401 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MrXStitch
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2009 02:35:58 AM »

So, any chance of doing some Watchmen stuff? Since the movie is coming out soon Wink Cheesy

I did this a while ago:

Which could work if stitched on yellow aida.
I might have another visit to the idea, but I'd want to stick with the comic characters rather than the film versions.

And thanks for the pointers, Kuckyyjune - I love the Walking Dead, one of the best comics out there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit MrXStitch.com to see the best in contemporary embroidery!
Do you hang out at The Phat Quarter?
It's the Mr X Stitch Facebook Fan Page!
devilxkat
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2009 12:43:59 AM »

I love your Ghost Rider and Wolverine patterns!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MyPhotoStitch
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2009 11:40:35 PM »

I love the idea, MrXStitch, and those patterns were gorgeous.  I really like the effect on the one of the human torch.

So, any chance of doing some Watchmen stuff? Since the movie is coming out soon Wink Cheesy

I tried to take a stab at the Watchmen characters.  I don't think they came out quite as nice as MrXStitch's patterns, but here they are:

The Comedian
Dr. Manhattan
Nite Owl
Silk Spectre
I'm still working on Rorschach and Ozymandias...my source images are pretty dark, so the patterns aren't coming out as nice.

pm me if you want the patterns.

Also, this is my first stab at designing patterns, so a question those more experienced than me: Would these be a pain/unrealistic to stitch (they're ~150x120 stitches, or ~8.5x10.7" on 14 ct. aida)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009 11:43:41 PM by MyPhotoStitch » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Free online photo -> cross stitch pattern maker.  Check it out at http://www.myphotostitch.com/  (think of it as a replacement for the beloved, but now gone, Dark Lilac)
MyPhotoStitch
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2009 12:10:32 AM »

I just finished the other two, although I'm still not quite happy with them.  I'll keep looking for better source images.

Ozymandias
Rorschach
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Free online photo -> cross stitch pattern maker.  Check it out at http://www.myphotostitch.com/  (think of it as a replacement for the beloved, but now gone, Dark Lilac)
MrXStitch
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2009 12:14:41 AM »

Also, this is my first stab at designing patterns, so a question those more experienced than me: Would these be a pain/unrealistic to stitch (they're ~150x120 stitches, or ~8.5x10.7" on 14 ct. aida)

Hi Myphotostitch. Good effort. Maybe trying running the originals through software like Photoshop to increase the brightness first..?
Most of my patterns are about 11 to 12 inches wide, and a serious number of stitches as a consequence. That said, the number of stitches is comparable to other patterns on the market, so it's not unreasonable.
I think it depends on what's important. If you want a good level of detail on a pattern, then more stitches is generally better - if you want to nail it, switch to 22ct aida when designing the pattern for an intense amount of detail.
However if you want something quick and easy then the less stitches the better. Mind you, portraits are quite tricky to get right with a minimal amount of stitches IMHO. Beelisty's good at it though.

Hope that helps!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MyPhotoStitch
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2009 12:51:11 AM »

Thanks for the advice, MrXStitch.  I had tried some simple things in the GIMP (college student, so too poor to afford photoshop  Undecided ) to try and increase the brightness/contrast, but I couldn't find a good balance that didn't make the image look washed out.

It's good to know that the patterns are at least somewhat realistic, although as a newbie it's still intimidating to think that people actually stitch things that large, much less that size but at 22ct aida.  I'll take a look at Beelisty's work for ideas on how to get good portraits with minimal stitches, since that seems tough, so thanks for the pointer Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2009 05:54:30 AM »

I think it would be neat to have just the mask of Rorschach. Kinda creepy and cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MrXStitch
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2009 06:37:34 AM »

And let's face it, you have to go for the Dave Gibbons originals if you want to do it justice.
This is a classic look, kinda scary if you ask me.

Pattern available on request at some point - 9 inches wide, 18ct aida.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beelisty
bitchin' stitcher

* <3 *

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2009 12:23:20 PM »

Thanks for the advice, MrXStitch.  I had tried some simple things in the GIMP (college student, so too poor to afford photoshop  Undecided ) to try and increase the brightness/contrast, but I couldn't find a good balance that didn't make the image look washed out.

It's good to know that the patterns are at least somewhat realistic, although as a newbie it's still intimidating to think that people actually stitch things that large, much less that size but at 22ct aida.  I'll take a look at Beelisty's work for ideas on how to get good portraits with minimal stitches, since that seems tough, so thanks for the pointer Smiley

what kind of computer do you use?  operating system?  i might be able to help you out w/ photoshop.   PM me if you're interested. Smiley

how many colors are you using for the patterns?  the more colors, the more detailed-- even though you'll end up with a bunch of colors that only show up a few times...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make my portrait patterns using PC Stitch.

let me listen to me & not to them.--gertrude stein

gallery: http://www.beelisty.com
blog: http://beelisty.wodpress.com
group blog: http://queercraft.wordpress.com
shop: http://epeolatry.etsy.com
MyPhotoStitch
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2009 11:45:55 PM »

what kind of computer do you use?  operating system?  i might be able to help you out w/ photoshop.   PM me if you're interested. Smiley

how many colors are you using for the patterns?  the more colors, the more detailed-- even though you'll end up with a bunch of colors that only show up a few times...

I'm on an (old) mac.  Thanks for the offer, but I'd personally go with the comic version of Rorschach if I was going to stitch it.  If anyone else is interested in the pattern, then I'll pm you for photoshop help to clean it up for them Smiley

I think each of those patterns ended up using about 25 colors, so they could probably get a little better, but it seemed like a reasonable trade-off to me.

I love your portraits, btw.  MrXStitch wasn't kidding about them.  They've inspired me to try my hand at it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Shiny Reflective Text in Photoshop
How to Remove Vocals in Audacity
How to Create Whiter Brighter Teeth In Photoshop
How to Add a Watermark in Photoshop
How to Create a Glow Text In Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...