A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
487 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ending it  (Read 1200 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

misshawklet

spin spin spin!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 31, 2008 01:55:48 PM »

How do you all tie off your weaving projects?  Do you just tie the ends and that is it?  That is what I am doing and I think it looks fine, but I'm wondering if that is a weaver's no no!

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nicolassa

How do you like my lovely hat?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008 07:22:19 AM »

Knotting your ends is perfectly acceptable and people do it all the time!   Wink  Sometimes I tie off/knot my ends, and sometimes I hemstitch, which is easiest to do when the loom is still under tension.  I LOVE hemstitching, just because when you're done, you take your piece off the loom, and you are **done**.  Very satisfying!   Cheesy

Here's a video showing the technique: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHBKqG2Do2I
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's me with some yarn on my head.

Etsyness:  http://WhirligigYarns.etsy.com

Bloggity:  http://whirligigyarns.blogspot.com
henofthewoods
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008 07:33:36 AM »

You can tie small groups of warp and make fringe. You can twist the fringe into small bundles and twist two bundles in the opposite direction, and immediately tie off to keep it from untwisting. I am still drinking my coffee so names are escaping me, but this can look really good. You can also braid the fringe.
After you have fringe, you can lace it together in interesting ways. I had some that I arranged so that twists crossed each other and then I knotted the twists, stuck on a giant bead that both twist went through, and continued the crossing pattern. It ended up extending the weave so that the shawl was a few inches longer which it really needed.
You can also use a sewing machine and zig-zag over the end of the weave. I have only sewn one thing that I wove, and I used a heck of a lot of woven iron-on interfacing to make sure there was no unravelling. I did end up with a purse that has absolutely no fringe. People who had seen the weaving asked where I got the fabric for the purse.
There is also hemstitching, which I have only managed once or twice.

So my answer is - yes there are other things you could do, yes there are times you should try other things because they are fun or will suit your work better and no you don't have to learn anything more complicated than what you are doing now if you don't want to.
Gee - I took so long writing my answer, someone else beat me to it. The video reminds me. Go to the library and check out almost any book on weaving. It will have some basic instructions on fringes, hems and such.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mountain_waif
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008 06:35:24 AM »

All of the above....plus you can use a serger and serge the edge.  I like this as it cuts and sews the edge at the same time.  I use this mostly for material that will be sewed into something else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Block Printing
Hot Trends for Quilting Designs
Homemade Greeting Cards for the Holiday
Art of Basket Weaving
How to Do Indian Embroidery
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...