A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
408 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Garage sale treasures! Ice cube trays? (besides the obvious)  (Read 1814 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ellyloo
« on: May 29, 2004 10:37:29 AM »

Best Garage sale/flea Market EVER!!

There was a 'free' bin, and I got 2 coloured ice cube trays... (could have taken 5, but ...if i DON"T wind up doing something with them, they'll just sit there).

A wooden wine holder box with a sliding top (style matches my slide top tea boxes I found a couple of weeks ago!!)

A glass square jar I thought of doing something with ...
A tealight holder with a glass oil holder above it-diffuser?  But ALSO, a glass bowl with those clear glass marbles that I'm goign to try that picture thing out with.

A mini paper cutter (scrapbookers cast off), a grab 'bag' of beads and a bead 'loom' and embroidery stuff...and... ummmmm... oh. hheh. Makeup. (the suppliers extra bags of unused stuff)

WooHoo!
*goes into a craft coma*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pixiestixchick65

"I can't believe I gave my panties to a geek."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004 01:01:28 PM »

0o0o0o0o.... gotta find me a good garage sale like that!  If the glass square jar has a lid, you could always make one of those little topiary things, kinda like a mini environment, with the moss, and small plants, gravel, and whatnot (saw it on The Brini Maxwell Show one night, I'm sure you'll be able to find instructions).  For the ice cube trays, you could always use them as paint palettes (I know it's not crafty, but w/e).  The obvious, other than ice, is to hold stuff in them.  OR (going back to plants) plant little flowers or cultivate bonsai trees in them.  I'm sure you could arrange the roots in a way that a bonsai tree could fit, maybe spill over into the surrounding molds.  I dunno, the thought of colored plastic ice cube trays with little plants seems really futuristic, and kinda cool.  If they turn out o.k., I'd suggest going back and getting the other 3!

:-*ciao xox
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ciao xox
Ellyloo
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004 03:28:33 PM »

A TOPIARY!!!!!

That's right up my alley!!!!!

Thanks!
*puts it on her list*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sassafras

The Sassy Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004 11:57:40 PM »

I saw an ice cube tray project on an episode of either Surprise by Design or Trading Spaces. They fastened about ten of them together, hot glueing the long edges to each other. The result was a cylinder that they used as a lamp shade. The light looked really cool filtering through the cube parts!

Another option would be to use them as casting trays for fabulous resin jewelry. I first saw this stuff at www.naughtysecretaryclub.com. It's really cool - they use resin, cool retro images, and glitter to make these necklaces, bracelets and rings. You gotta check these out.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', '....................................................................')
           <<  www.sassycrafter.com  >>
                     crafty repurposing
preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', '....................................................................')
silencepainter
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004 01:55:14 PM »

ice cube trays would be good for sorting or holding little things.  Beads you are working with, jewelry, little screws and nails... etc

I'm not sure how this would work, might be a little too small to be useful.  But perhaps use them as little candle molds.  They would make itty bitty square candles

Or still on the candle thought... use them as wax molds in one color, and then drop the wax squares once they cool into a larger candle that you are making.  Then your larger candle would have random squares of a different color (or even scent).

THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004 02:07:01 PM »

One of my friends used to use ice cube trays as seedling starters - you plant one seed in each section (with dirt, obviously) and once they get to a certain size, you transplant the ones that survived into real pots/the ground/whatever
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004 08:40:15 PM »

Use spare ice cube trays to freeze pesto and tomato sauce, so you can thaw out only the amount you need. Or, freeze juice, so that the "ice" cubes don't dilute your drinks as they melt...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
ScarySockMonster
Loony Lunatic

Me So Scary

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2004 03:24:44 PM »

See what I was thinking is that maybe if you went out and bought a small strand of christmas lights, you could make some sort of light out of it?  Use a nail or something, heat it up; and make a hole in the bottom big enough for each light?  I think that once I get my stand for my cow collection built, I'm going to make a drinking trough out of an ice cube tray and put the lights in there with saran wrap glued to the top to give it a weird little thing.  I have no idea though.  I may just make them for around the house nightlights.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message posting may be confidential, and if you use it in anyway that I do not see fit; you may be hunted for.  Other than that, have a nice day!  Wink
snapkrackelpop19
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008 07:26:29 PM »

You can use ice cube molds as resin molds!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
X Factor Stars And Their Little Black Dresses
Rita Ora Has A Wardrobe Change At MOBO Awards
Two Ways To Wear Cropped Knits And Leather
Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood Steal the Spotlight at the CMAs
Best Dressed At The 2012 Country Music Awards
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...