A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,116
Currently Running With Scissors:
365 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: *Good* yarn stores near Bhm?  (Read 2257 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tappanga
Stop hatin', start participatin'!

Twinkle twinkle, baby!

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2005 08:36:17 AM »

I know there's a new knitting/yarn store in Helena. Does anyone know of a closer one? There's *got* to be one in the Ham somewhere.

Thanks!

(I know I can get yarn at Hobby Lobby/Michael's/AC Moore/Wal-Mart/Hancock. I want better yarn than that.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.
kittensinbaskets
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005 03:31:59 PM »

there arent any others that i know of, i just get my "crappy" yarn at AC Moore and make the occasional drive to helena for the good stuff... if you havent been to the one in helena, i urge you to go, they have some beautiful yarn, and the staff is awesome. i hope another one opens soon or i find out about another one tho... and i want to make a roadtrip to huntsvegas soon to stock up, because i hear they have several awesome yarn stores....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tappanga

Twinkle twinkle, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005 08:20:02 AM »

Really? Huntsvegas does? I may make a trip up there as well.

I will try the one in Helena. Thanks!

BTW I didn't mean to imply that yarn from the mega stores was crappy. I get all my yarn from there as well right now. I just want something that they don't offer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

la chica alta
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005 03:12:01 PM »

You might want to try Serendipity Needleworks in Tuscaloosa. The shop has been in business for about two years now. I've also heard about Knit Nouveau, but I have no first hand knowledge about the business. I hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blissedout
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005 12:07:41 PM »

there is memory hagler in inverness/hoover but it closes around noon! i haven't been yet but they do have some good yarn i hear. =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tappanga

Twinkle twinkle, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005 09:30:29 AM »

there is memory hagler in inverness/hoover but it closes around noon! i haven't been yet but they do have some good yarn i hear. =)

NOON!? Jeeze, that's insane. Do you know where they're located? And if they're open on Saturdays?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

madamedefarge
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005 12:48:36 PM »

You might want to try Serendipity Needleworks in Tuscaloosa. The shop has been in business for about two years now. I've also heard about Knit Nouveau, but I have no first hand knowledge about the business. I hope this helps!

I second the recommendation for Serendipity Needleworks!  The lady in there told me that they purposely try to have different yarn than the chain craft stores.  When I was in there a couple of weeks ago, I wanted to buy everything in the store because I am so used to Michael's/Hobby Lobby acrylic yarns, and here I was in a store with all this beautiful wool, cotton, alpaca yarns, a lot of it imported!  It's a bit more expensive than the chain stores, but definitely not bad at all considering what you get for your money (I got two balls of beautiful blue Italian wool yarn for $6.50...half off sale).  They don't have a website you can order from yet, but the lady told me they are working on it.  When I was in there, she was looking for yarn for a woman who had been in there but moved away and emailed her to ask if they had something.  I know this is a late reply, but I had to share my experiences with the store, because it is definitely worth going to if you can't find a place like it in Birmingham.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blissedout
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006 01:53:54 PM »

ok now there is knit nouveau in homewood knitnouveau.com and it is awesome =) not gigantic but a decent size and has normal hours. =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HunterJumper33
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007 06:41:56 PM »

In the Making, it is in Cahaba Heights. 

10-5 weekdays
10-3 sat
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy Shop Rosemary Lane Design: https://www.etsy.com/shop/RosemaryLaneDesign
DropKickGrl

NO, I don't know karate.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007 09:27:49 AM »

I know this is far off, but if you're ever in Montgomery, there is a place called the Knit Shop (or maybe they spelled it Shoppe) in the Mulberry District. 

I just got back from visiting family in the hospital there, and the Knit Shop is only about five minutes from Baptist South Hospital, so I cheered myself up by cuddling with yarn.  Nice shop, very comfortable with "down home" feel to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Dress For A Sporting Event
Jill Martin With Marlo Thomas
Plus-Size Style Tips
Best Dressed Stars: Sports Illustrated Model, NYFW and More
Striped Swimsuit Trends
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...