A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,547
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Engaged For About 16 Hours Now...  (Read 1918 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JessiokaFroka
Lieutenant Commander

EVIL shenanigans!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 30, 2008 09:49:26 AM »

Hey everyone! My man and I had our housewarming yesterday, and with all the friends and family there, he proposed (and got it on video!) I'm so excited!

So my question... is there any advice any of you wish you had gotten right when you got engaged? Like, tips for wedding planning? I know there was a thread like this, but I searched and searched and cannot seem to find it! If anyone knows where it is, it would be very much appreciated if you could point me in the right direction...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
*MAR*
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008 12:44:44 PM »

First, congratulations! Housewarming AND engagement party all rolled into one. That is too fun.

Second, resist the urge to buy ANYTHING for your wedding until you form a good plan in your head. Do that by looking on here, reading (limited amounts) of bridal mags and just looking at things you already have (or your Mom has, etc) first and get a good idea of the direction you want to go in. That way, you won't have dropped money on silly stuff you'll never use. I can think of a few things I bought that I was SURE I was going to use and then I came up with much better ideas later on and was bummed I'd spent the money.

Third, if you're doing the shin-dig yourself, start asking around. I bought my plates and wine glasses because they were cheaper than renting - and I've loaned them out twice to brides already. Someone may just have the stuff you need laying around, it never hurts to ask.

One thing I would suggest starting on is your wedding planner book. You can keep all your ideas, dates, business cards, rental agreements and info in this book. I just had a regular old 3 ring binder and a few other supplies and this was a really helpful thing to have around!   Here's the thread for mine, I didn't buy one of the "special" ones, http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=251930.msg2802741#msg2802741

Have fun too! Don't forget the fun!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JessiokaFroka
Lieutenant Commander

EVIL shenanigans!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008 05:19:24 PM »

Thank you! I ran out to Wal-Mart and bought a binder, paper, dividers, and trading card sleeves (for business cards.) Thank you for that awesome advice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008 06:51:10 PM »

I think the advise depends on what kind of wedding you want to have.

I am an easy going, things work out, relaxed, flexible, not at all fancy girl. I have been engaged for a month and a half and the first three weeks I went through all sorts of transformations. I saw my wedding as a casual affair, not very "wedding-y". But most important to me was to find a place because we have been together for a long time and it wouldn't really be official until we had a place and a date. Then I thought things were important that NEVER IN MY LIFE would I have thought were important. At that moment I STOPPED looking at Bridal magazines and decided to work from the ground up, so to speak. Figuring out what I thought was important and working on that, that way the stuff that really is important to me is the stuff I focus on and if the chair sashes don't match the this and the that, well I don't care because that was never important to me and my chairs won't even have sashes!

But if you dream of having a big, fancy, perfect wedding I am sure there is different advice for you.

The one thing that makes me a little sad is that there is so much stuff I would like to do (as a crafty person, just look at all the amazing stuff people come up with), but I have do decide on what is really important and what to give up, because there is another important factor to me and that is not spending every cent I have on a one day event.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
JessiokaFroka
Lieutenant Commander

EVIL shenanigans!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008 09:37:31 AM »

To be honest I've actually been lurking around the Wedding boards here for several months now... I have decided to have a Renaissance-and-Fantasy themed wedding. I already have the dress picked out, and I'm 90% sure I want fairy wings for me and my bridesmaids.

Of course, my mind could change, but I think there is a lot to work with in that respect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BadWolf

cassettetape--->BadWolf

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008 01:22:10 PM »

I am not engaged or married, but I keep a file on my laptop of photos and ideas for my eventual wedding. I think weddings are fascinating and my boyfriend says that at least we'll be prepared one day!

Oh first, Congrats on your housewarming and engagement! That is so cool!!!

So my advice is down to:
1. Write everything down.
2. When reading bridal mags,books,articles and you see a custom or idea you DON'T want to include then write it down on a list so that it doesn't get lost and someone ends up bringing it into the mess while helping. Same for when you see something you like. Write it down. I write everything down so that I can refer to it later when I just can't remember something that I know know know is important.
3. Oh and involve the man. A happy man is a....well a happy man. Yup.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My username has changed from cassettetape to BadWolf.

"Does this shirt make me look like a party balloon?"-Mike

http://pinterest.com/marquesajen
Volcanogrrl
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008 09:59:36 PM »

congratulations on both your new home AND your engagement!  That is so exciting!
I just got engaged September 1 (swoon) and am reading this thread with lots of anticipation. 
I can tell you what I did wrong the first time I got married...
Everything!!!
I guess the cake was actually quite nice though. 
At the time my focus was on the fancy dress and the ceremony and a lot of things that have truly never been important to me before or since.  As a result there was a lot of stress for me because I was planning something that was completely out of my realm of understanding.  I think I was trying to impress someone else, but I sure don't know who. 
This time around my focus is on hiring an AWESOME photographer (because this is one of the few and possibly only times you'll have all of your dearest family and friends together for a photo op) and some kick-butt tunes so we can have the mother of all parties.  We'll have a very short ceremony, and we want to spend the rest of our time visiting with people from out of town and shaking our cake to some fun tunes. 
Good luck!  I'll be watching for your wedding diy projects as you go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008 11:30:14 AM »

Best advice I was given? Don't plan anything for the first month. Just enjoy celebrating your engagement for that month, and then start in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
beehart
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008 08:44:19 AM »

Best advice I was given? Don't plan anything for the first month. Just enjoy celebrating your engagement for that month, and then start in.

i definitely agree with this!  i've been engaged for two months and just started buying a couple things last night (i didn't know when i'd get another chance to go to ikea!), but even then i gave myself a $10 limit so i don't go overboard.  my best friend got engaged two months before me and bought almost everything in the first two weeks (she has a 10 month long engagement too), and now she's regretting it.  she has changed her mind on everything, and has even started painting the silk flowers so now she can't return anything either.  just get lots and lots of ideas before you start buying so you don't go overboard!  and congrats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

psycholupine
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008 04:15:26 PM »

Tell all your friends about your plans. They will offer to help (yay) and lend you stuff (double yay). One friend lent me the cake knife and guest book pen from her wedding which I felt was very special.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chicken & Beef Lo Mein
Shrimp Curry Recipe
Vegetarian Saag Aloo Recipe
Regional Chinese Food and Cooking
How to Cook Lemon Chicken
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...