A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 300,944
Currently Running With Scissors:
465 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: German map fabric?  (Read 1963 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kiden2
« on: August 30, 2008 06:38:26 AM »

So I was at a flea market the other day and I came upon this fabric with the map of Germany on it.  It was $7 and so awesome that I had to buy it. On the map all the cities are illustrated with their famous buildings.  And on the border are the crests of each city.

Now, I'm not sure what to do with it.  This thing is HUGE (3' x 4') and the fabric is really flimsy- almost like a tshirt material.  I was thinking of just hanging it on a wall, but I'm worried that the fabric isn't strong enough...

So two questions:

Does anyone know a good way to hang this?

-or-

What else can I do with it>
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sunnydays914
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008 06:42:44 AM »

If you could get a similar or slightly smaller sized canvas, I'd suggest to gently tack it onto the canvas. The way I see it, no matter how you hang the fabric, it needs to be framed or have some sort of support. I can't wait to see the finished product!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bsonlytoots

B's Only Toots

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008 06:48:43 AM »

What about a poster size frame? Put it in one and then hang it (not sure of the porster frame sizing) but you can buy them really cheap at walmart or target
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Momma2FIVEgirls

Still creating the ever growing to do list........

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008 07:20:46 AM »

Maybe a quilt display bar, not the ones where you drape it over but the kind that basically sandwhiches the top inch or so between two pieces of wood and it hangs flat against the wall. I know I've seen them at Goores, a baby store here. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ahoy Sailor!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008 09:10:45 AM »

I agree with the post about about attaching it to a different fabric or blanket to make it double in strength. that way you would use it as a blanket or hang it up.

its such a cool print though so I would definitely do something for it to display it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008 11:22:08 AM »

I agree with mounting it to something more stable if you want to hang it.  I found a similar item at the Goodwill a few years ago; it was Australia on linen (flimsy, but bvery strong), but it has a small hole (hence under $1).  So I cut it into 9 even rectangles, hemmed each of those and use them as napkins since I'm strictly a cloth napkin user at home.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008 01:00:37 PM »

You could try using pvc to mount it.  Make sure the pvc is longer than the fabric.  Cut the pvc the entire length and slide it over the edge of your wall hanging.  Then get some tie wraps and wrap around the ends to hold it in place.  Then where you have made it long on the ends, you could drill holes in the back of it to hang on the wall.

I hope this makes some sort of sense.  I can envision it, but I don't think I am being very clear.

HTH.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dawt
I heart my duplicate daughters

I know, huh?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008 05:33:58 PM »

I love a good flea market find and this is definitely one of 'em! I believe it's a tablecloth, so if you have a large enough table it would look fabulous all splayed out on it. It would also make a nice little coverlet for a bed. But I like the quilt display thingie idea, too, because then nothing can get spilled on it. Let us know what you end up doing with it!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008 05:34:28 PM by dawt » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MandyXxooXxooXxoo
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013 07:23:19 PM »

Is there any way that I can buy this fabric from you?? I would absolutely love to have it for my German boyfriend! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nuttywoman

Help I`m trapped in the glass in my back door!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013 02:49:07 PM »

I had a flimsy fabric map of Seol , South Korea and what i did was use iron-on interlining to stregthen it before turning it into a quilted wall hanging  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Draw The Earth
How To Draw A Wave
Learn How To Draw A Reindeer
How To Draw A Cookie Monster
How To Draw A Halloween Cat
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...