A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 299,134
Currently Running With Scissors:
576 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vegan Banana Bread Recipe?  (Read 1849 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

spaghetti
« on: August 29, 2008 06:51:22 PM »

Does anyone have a tried-and-true recipe for vegan banana bread?  I've searched online and most of the recipes are either unreviewed or have comments like "mushy" or "gluey".  (Yuk.)  I've used mashed banana as an egg substitute before, and I think that ground flaxseed would taste good too, but I'm not really in an experimental mood right now.  Wink Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
elucidation
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008 05:48:16 AM »

I haven't personally tried these but many of them are heavily reviewed..
'Banana Bread' seems to be quite a hit..

http://vegweb.com/index.php?board=198.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008 06:05:23 AM »

There's a recipie in "The Compassionate Cook" that always turns out for me, so long as I bake it in a square pan rather than a loaf (I could maybe decrease the liquid to fix the goopy center, but making it square works just as well for me). I think I also bake it longer than it calls for, going by the toothpick-in-the-center test rather than a timer. I also live in a humid climate.

I've also mixed in chocolate chips to that recipie, and it turns out AWESOME.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spaghetti
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008 10:23:59 AM »

Thank you both!  I've always found VegWeb really hard to navigate, so I appreciate your posting the search results for me.  And the square pan is a GREAT idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
elucidation
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008 01:52:02 AM »

(:
hehe yeah, I think the search bit is rather difficult.
I tend to use the 'Recipes' and then 'Recipes By Category' on the top bar (hopefully that helps if you want to use it again (: )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rosieblue
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008 02:44:51 AM »

Banand-bran-bread, a fruitier, higher fibre/ low fat variation based on a really old Kelloggs recipe for using their cereals in baking.

1 cup all-bran
1 cup soy milk (cold tea, especially earl grey works nicely too)
1 cup dried fruit (sultanas and cherries work nicely)
1/2 cup sugar (granulated)

Throw these in a bowl together and leave until the bran cereal has 'dissolved' (about 40 mins-1 hour)

1 cup mashed banana
1 cup flour (self-raising)

Stir in the flour to make a sticky cake mix, and then stir in the mashed banana. Bake in texan-sized muffin tins (20mins) or in a loaf tin (30-5mins) on about 200 degrees C.

I've added in carob chips too, which works well with cherries in the dried fruit but doesn't work well with the tea. Sultanas and chopped dried apple work better with the tea than the soy milk. Mixed spice/nutmeg sometimes thrown in too, especially if the bananas are a bit over-ripe.

Super simple, not at all fancy and almost healthy - I make a batch about once a week in muffin tins to add into lunchboxes.

rosie x
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008 01:58:34 PM by rosieblue - Reason: revision of quantities » THIS ROCKS   Logged
poseursteph
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008 11:41:04 AM »

I can't remember where i found this recipe at so sorry i can't give credit where credit is due! i'm sure you could leave out the chocolate chips but they make it taste soooo good. I'm sure you could leave them out if you really wanted to.

2 1/2 cup flour
1tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup veg. oil
Egg susitute equal to 3 eggs
3 large bananas
1/2 to 3/4 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees
In a med. bowl stir flour, baking soda, and salt. set aside
In a large bowl (at med. speed) beat sugar, oil and egg subsitute. Add bananas until well blended.
At a low speed beat in the flour mixture until blended
Add the chocolate chips
Than pour the batter into greased bread pans and bake 45-50mins.
Let cool 10mins.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweetpea001
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008 07:51:10 AM »

If you are OK using substitutes, this is the banana bread recipe I use.  It is amazing.  Very banana-y and moist.  I believe it was from the Joy of Cooking, but I'm not 100% sure.

1 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
5 1/3 tbs. softened margarine (I use earth balance)
2/3 c. sugar
egg replacer for three eggs (I use ener-G Egg replacer.  I'm sure you could use something else, but I can't vouch for how it will work)--if someone wants to make this with real eggs, only use two.
1 c. mashed very ripe bananas (2-3 bananas)
1/2 c. coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)

Wisk together dry ingredients.  Beat margarine and sugar together in a large bowl on high speed until lightened in color and texture, 2-3 minutes.  Beat in flour mixture until blended and the consistency of brown sugar.  THEN gradually beat in the egg replacer.  The order of events is important here.  I don't know why, but the bread is VASTLY better when the egg replacer is added after the flour rather than with the other wet ingredients.
Fold in banana mash and nuts until just combined. 

scrape batter into a greased 6-cup loaf pan (8 1/2" x 4 1/2").  I sprinkle some sugar on top of the batter here because if you are going to be making sweet bread you may as well go all the way to dessert, IMHO. It makes a nice sweet crust.   Bake at 350 F until a toothpick in the center comes out clean, 50-60 minutes. 

Enjoy!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
artbasement
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008 09:16:17 AM »

I get frequent requests for my banana bread.  I love it because my mom (who lives in a small, ruralish town with no fancy health food stores) can find all of the ingredients without going out of her way.

Amazing Banana Bread

• 6 soft, ripe or overripe bananas
  • 0.5 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • Cinnamon, to taste

Peel bananas into a large mixing bowl. Add sugar and vanilla. Blend them with a traditional or immersion blender. If you want banana chunks in your bread, blend until bananas are partially liquefied with small chunks. If you want no chunks, continue blending until bananas become a fluffy liquid.

Mix the flour, baking powder and soda together in a smaller mixing bowl.  Sprinkle in some cinnamon.

Fold the dry ingredients into the banana-sugar liquid until well combined.

Pour the batter into pan and bake in a preheated oven at 350 F for 45-minutes to one hour

**Variations: Add a handful of chopped walnuts or chocolate chips while folding the wet & dry ingredients.

**Notes: 
- If the bananas are very ripe and sweet, you can reduce the sugar to a quarter cup.
- Depending on the size of the bananas and how much you blend them, the batter does not always fit into a regular loaf pan. A 9-inch round pan will work perfectly.
- This recipe also makes delicious muffins if you pour the batter into a muffin tin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elucidation
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009 11:30:55 PM »

http://www.recipezaar.com/Healthy-Vegan-Banana-Bread-106912

'Dry Ingredients

* 2 1/4 cups flour
    * 2 teaspoons baking powder
    * 1 teaspoon baking soda

Wet ingredients

* 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas
    * 6 tablespoons apple juice concentrate
    * 2 tablespoons cooking oil
    * 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    * 1/3 cup chopped nuts
    * 1/3 cup raisins (optional)

Directions

1      Preheat oven to 350.
      2      Mix dry ingredients together.
      3      In a medium bowl, mash banana with a fork.
      4      Add the rest of the wet ingredients with the banana, mix.
      5      Pour liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients.
      6      Add nuts or raisins.
      7      Pour mixture into loaf pan and bake for about 50 minutes.'

I made this yesterday and it was really yummy : )
I don't think I put enough banana in, though, I had to add some water at the end.. butchyeah  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Of The Week
How To Highlight and Contour Your Abs
How To Make Blackhead-Removing Mask
Missing Beauty Products From the U.S.
A Frizz-Free Braid That’s Perfect for Summer
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...