A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
580 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dyeing virgin  (Read 913 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FluffyMonkey
i feel my fate in what i cannot fear

The creative mind plays with what it loves

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2005 08:23:19 PM »

i have this great top that makes me think a cross between a straightjacket and fun, pseudo-bondagey fishnet, but it's white and i'd much rather it was black. it's 100% cotton a has a couple of buckles on it. how can i dye it without ruining it?

fluffy monkey

ps. i need to get a digital camera!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are two kinds of strengths: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of power: the power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked."
~Yaldah Tovah

On Ravelry! Look me up; there I'm baela.
houseofdanie
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005 09:28:23 PM »

Have a look at http://www.dharmatrading.com -- and check out the Procion MX dyes, as well as the FAQ sections of the site. If your thing's 100% cotton, a fiber-reactive dye is definitely the way to go.

-D
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FluffyMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005 04:06:14 PM »

thanks for the idea, danie, i'll check that out right now. i also thought of a few more quiestions, though.

can i get these dyes in a craft store or should i order them online? also, i'm in a dorm, so i can't have a messy dye experience. do you know of a no-mess or small-mess way to dye?

fluffy monkey
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are two kinds of strengths: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of power: the power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked."
~Yaldah Tovah

houseofdanie
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005 05:44:17 PM »

I always order my supplies from Dharma, and I don't remember ever seeing them locally. To dye one garment one color, you really don't need a whole lot of stuff. I dye lots of things, all the time, and I'm still on the same $60 of supplies I bought last year. I mean, really, I'm a dyeing fool.

As far as mess goes... you need a container for water plus your garment. A large bucket works. A washing machine is even better, since you need to keep the stuff agitated. You need to be able to dump the water somewhere. And... that's about it. I dye small things in my kitchen all the time. If you're going for a marbled effect, even a small little Tupperware container will work.

-D
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FluffyMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005 08:19:14 AM »

As far as mess goes... you need a container for water plus your garment. A large bucket works. A washing machine is even better, since you need to keep the stuff agitated.

a washing machine? will it leave dye in the machine so the next person to use it will have a mess and hunt me down and eat me? we share washing machines here.

fluffy monkey

ps. you are so helpful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Yaldah Tovah

houseofdanie
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005 08:42:38 AM »

I've never had a problem with dye residue. Procion dyes bond to natural fibers only, so in my experience, they get right out of the way during the rinse cycle. Smiley

-D
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Not to Damage Your Hair
How to Analise Your Hair Type
How to Blow Dry Hair
How to Blow Dry Afro-Caribean Hair
How to Blow Dry Curly Hair Straight
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...