A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,114
Currently Running With Scissors:
522 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A 1950's Fridge gets restored to provide weather and dust proof storage outdoors  (Read 9779 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2008  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

grammardog
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2008 11:52:35 AM »

That is BRILLIANT!  Wonderful job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2008 09:21:40 AM »

I am so happy to see that people are repurposing things. They look so cool, and they stay out of the landfills! Great job!
I'm curious. Did you or someone else drain the freon out of it first?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rockingrandma
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2008 12:45:40 AM »

Wow, the only alternate use I've seen for these old iceboxes is as a beer fridge.  I had one of these about 10 years ago that was actually used as a food fridge until the ex "defrosted" it with a knife and all the freon hissed out.  Wish I would have thought to use it as a storage cabinet!

A question though.  I know most places have ordinances against fridges of this type sitting anywhere outside with the doors intact due to the risk of suffocation from kids playing hide and seek in them.  Do you not have those ordinances or is the fridge in a inaccessible area?  Or is it one that doesn't actually latch?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RococoPop
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2008 05:31:03 AM »

I am so happy to see that people are repurposing things. They look so cool, and they stay out of the landfills! Great job!
I'm curious. Did you or someone else drain the freon out of it first?

Thanks so much. We removed the motor and the freon was taken care of by a friend of ours who is in the appliance business so everything was done with the proper respect for the environment. The motor was also recycled.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RococoPop
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2008 05:40:39 AM »

Wow, the only alternate use I've seen for these old iceboxes is as a beer fridge.  I had one of these about 10 years ago that was actually used as a food fridge until the ex "defrosted" it with a knife and all the freon hissed out.  Wish I would have thought to use it as a storage cabinet!

A question though.  I know most places have ordinances against fridges of this type sitting anywhere outside with the doors intact due to the risk of suffocation from kids playing hide and seek in them.  Do you not have those ordinances or is the fridge in a inaccessible area?  Or is it one that doesn't actually latch?

If the seals are bad you can't use it outside. One of the best features of this find is that all of the seals and the latch were in near-perfect condition so it is dust and weather tight. It's been tested over the course of 3 summers. No worries of mildew whatsoever.

The ordinance that you're referring to pertains to fridges left out on the curb for trash pickup. Kids were able to crawl inside because a lot of times the drawers and shelves were removed. People would also prop the doors open. Thus the danger.

This fridge is full. All of the drawers and shelves are in place and it is loaded with tableware and linens. For a child to get inside they would have to open the door - not an easy reach. They would then have to remove the all of the dishes and the at least on of the shelves, along with the drawers before they could even think about fitting into it. Plus: It is not sitting out in plain view. It is behind our garage which is not at all visible from the street. That being said, I don't see a safety issue here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crappiefisher
Crappiefisher

I just LOVE craftster!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2008 08:02:30 AM »

great job you guys! We have our first nice patio here at our new house and slowly working to make it a much nicer place to hang out.

I noticed in your diary that you painted the floor of the patio. How cool is that! gives me ideas!

thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't you let nobody tell you that you can't do nothin. You can do whatevah you put your mind to!" - wise words from my Granny when I was 5 years old.
RococoPop
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2008 11:14:52 AM »

great job you guys! We have our first nice patio here at our new house and slowly working to make it a much nicer place to hang out.

I noticed in your diary that you painted the floor of the patio. How cool is that! gives me ideas!

thanks for sharing!

Congrats on the new house. I hope you'll consider showing photos of your new place once you've had a chance to make your mark on it!

As for painting the patio...
Yes, I did. My husband wanted to make it a flat slate grey and my response was, "Why???" I then set about painting it to somewhat resemble a vintage rug. This was done by masking off the interior section, painting that, letting it dry, and then going on to the edging. Once the edging was dry I sat myself down in the center of the space and started painting the vines and leaves as you see them there. It took a good 8 hours to finish but the result was worth it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2008 12:15:34 PM »

An incredible fridge restoration as well as a fantastic patio.  Everything looks great and such a wonderful peaceful place to enjoy an evenin'.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tomico
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2008 06:06:35 PM »

An ex boyfriend of mine had one of these old fridges and he pained it bright pink and put on it the band name " The Cramps" in bleeding red. Later, he painted it black and had his daughter put foot prints of white to make it look like she walked over top of it. I liked the look but it was just so inefficient. I'm glad you were able to find a sensible use for it. lol.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mirrorandmoon
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2009 11:04:54 PM »

I love that idea! I would have never thought of that Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Angry Macaroni and Cheese and No-Bake Raspberry Cheesecake Cups Recipes
How to Make Porter Ale Chili
Guacamole Stuffed Deviled Eggs Recipe
Southern Fried Chicken Recipe
How to Make Cracker Jack Ice Cream
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...