A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,060
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Grad Student Support Swap (SEND BY 10/30/08)  (Read 10745 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kimmasaurus
...and up comes the toolbar. that's what she said.

do you think this is referring to your boning jan?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2008 08:42:30 AM »

I'm kind of an in "alternative" program here in NYC, which means that in two years time (or so they SAY!) I'll be able to be finished with my Master's in Education...
I feel behind too!!  I have my BA in Mass Comm from Temple and I'm starting at Drexel University here in Philly in a few weeks in another similar program to yours... mine is a Masters in the Science of Instruction w/Teachers Cert, and it's made for ppl that have their BA/BS in something else and a background in teaching.

Philly also has a program similar to the one you're in, but here it's called a Teaching Fellowship where you teach full time while you go to school and in 2 years or so, you're finished w/your masters and a teaching cert. They place you with the 'inner city' schools here in Philadelphia that are hurting for teachers that have the worst reputations...poor kids Sad  Our SD here is quite disfunctional and need all the help they can get!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarahmakes
Sarah likes to make stuff.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2008 08:54:08 AM »

oneredboot--yes, I'm concentrating on Protestantism, specifically Evangelicalism and Southern "Bible Belt" culture. One reason that you might not find much body art by Quaker artists is that they, like Evangelicals, eschew bodily experience and earthly pleasure as inferior to a transcendent "truer" reality--keeping your eyes on heaven, not on earth or yourself. There is also a fear of idolatry that might play into it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

parlophone

Care Bear Stare!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2008 08:54:54 AM »

I'm definitely going to keep one eye on this swap and one eye on my list of tasks to be done.  Whenever it seems like I'm getting caught up on something, I decide to take on something else.  I took a year off after my MA (in English) and just jumped into the PhD program.  But since it's at the same school, they've already got me busy mentoring incoming students and teaching classes.

But this seems up my alley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I can hope, see?  Even if I don't believe."
mimikachu
teacher lady extraordinaire

I (heart) swaps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2008 09:20:16 AM »

kimmasaurus--yeah, I'm a NYC teaching fellow! Same program, different city. Same headache!?

Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nothin' worth doing ever comes easy.
oneredboot
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2008 10:44:54 AM »

Yes, this issue of iconoclasm is something I deal with all the time as an art historian.  My work with these artists--and more recent theories of material religion--have made me think that Protestant relationships with images in the contemporary US are really more complex than we often assume.  Especially representations of bodies.

Anyway, back to craft-related topics:  in looking over all of your q'nnaires, we have got some talented crafters in this swap!!

oneredboot--yes, I'm concentrating on Protestantism, specifically Evangelicalism and Southern "Bible Belt" culture. One reason that you might not find much body art by Quaker artists is that they, like Evangelicals, eschew bodily experience and earthly pleasure as inferior to a transcendent "truer" reality--keeping your eyes on heaven, not on earth or yourself. There is also a fear of idolatry that might play into it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahmakes
Sarah likes to make stuff.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2008 12:03:56 PM »

Another craft idea could be decorative items for the bleak white walls in our offices and library carrels.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kimmasaurus
...and up comes the toolbar. that's what she said.

do you think this is referring to your boning jan?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2008 03:04:18 PM »

kimmasaurus--yeah, I'm a NYC teaching fellow! Same program, different city. Same headache!?

Wink

most definitely!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008 03:05:12 PM by kimmasaurus - Reason: i can't spell! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alli_Lucy
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2008 07:23:54 PM »

Alli_Lucy, I taught the intro to art history class (caves to cathedrals) this summer and had a great time teaching Roman art!  my favorite was looking at the Valentino show that was recently staged at the Ara Pacis. 
http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/07/10/style/10suzy.php
How weird is that??  Anyway, I actually spent a lot of time on Roman death practices b/c it makes the transition into early Christian art really interesting.  are you looking at tomb architecture or decoration or both??  so so interesting! 

I missed that Valentino show, but I heard that it was amazing!  The new Ara Pacis museum gets a lot of criticism (there is even talk of ripping it down entirely), but I don't think it's too bad.  Definitely better than the old museum.  I  study society through tombs, so I look at everything that's available -  architecture, decoration, inscription (including graffiti left on tombs), goods, floral and faunal remains (of food eaten at the tomb and food offerings left), and human remains.  Of course, it's rare that all of those categories come together in a single tomb!  I definitely understand the "my" thing, though - I definitely refer to "my tombs."

Parlophone, I hope you join us!

Mimikachu and Kimmasaurus, it is so amazing that you teach at inner city schools.  That must be such a challenge, but good teachers in the inner city are so desperately needed (as you know, of course).  Good for you - that is really important work.  You teachers sometimes make me feel so selfish for spending my days in a library, thinking about people who have been dead for 2000 years! 

Sarahmakes, I like the idea of decorative stuff.  Maybe we should start a list of ideas for the swap - a few have come to me since sending in my questionnaire.  Of course, now that I'm thinking about it, they are fleeing my brain.  One that I had thought of is a decorated Moleskine or other notebook.  A decorated day planner could also be nice, if there was plenty of communication between partners (since picking out a day planner tends to be a very personal decision!).  I had also thought of relaxation aids, like nice bath stuff or pretty candles.  Since so many of us use crafting as a primary form of relaxation, a craft kit with materials and instructions for a new craft could fit into that category too.  What ideas have others had? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My craft blog: One Pearl Button

She blinded me with wisting
oneredboot
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2008 05:54:53 AM »

great ideas, sarahmakes and Alli_Lucy!  I added them to the list in the first post. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
oneredboot
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2008 07:35:07 AM »

I'm so pleased that we have eight people in the swap!!   

Any other thoughts for grad-student related crafted items?  Mimikachu and kimmasaurus, can you think of anything related to your teaching?? 

On a somewhat related note, I'm trying to put together a little package for my cousin, who is in her senior year of college and completely stressed out applying for grad school and finishing up her senior thesis.  Any ideas of what I can include for this future grad student?? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Most Over-the-Top Brownie Recipe
How to Make Caramel and Pecan Crepes
How to Make Italian Hazelnut Semifreddo
Creativity in the Kitchen: Root Beer Float Cookies
How to Make a Lemon Drizzle Cake
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...