A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,969
Currently Running With Scissors:
528 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Grad Student Support Swap (SEND BY 10/30/08)  (Read 10701 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Daniethanas
Wife, Sister, Daughter, Friend, Crocheter

Hookin' like a fiend these days...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2008 07:42:25 AM »

Oneredboot: for your cousin... maybe a GRE or GMAT study guide (or whatever applicable test she'll need to take), a mug filled with packets of her favorite warm beverage OR a travel mug with a gift card to her favorite coffee shop AND for a crafty piece of it maybe you could put together a cute little book of "Things I Learned In Grad School" with funny things attached?

I have to say... reading you guys talk about your studies is really interesting. I think it's so cool that your majors are so close to each other. Getting an MBA in Aviation Management I think I'm "flying solo" over here, but I love reading about what everyone else is doing. Smiley

I just started "Accounting for Managers" this week, kind of timely since it's "Budget Season" at the company I work for. I'll be learning about what they're all talking about! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarahmakes
Sarah likes to make stuff.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2008 09:40:11 AM »

I just finished "crafting" a dissertation chapter last night and sent it off to my adviser at 2:00 a.m. Woo-hoo!

Today as a reward I'm working on some paper-crafty things that might turn out to be nice items for this swap--various forms of clips, bookmarks, and magnets. I have some of these bookmark thingies from about ten years ago:
http://www.levimage.com/IMAGE/PRODUCTS/DESK_ACCESSORIES/CLIPS_CUTTERS_TOOLS/AB0210_E_0708.jpg

I'm experimenting with ways to approximate the function of marking a particular line on a page using recycled materials.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008 09:41:33 AM by sarahmakes » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarahmakes
Sarah likes to make stuff.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2008 09:47:56 AM »

I forgot to say, I think the idea of a book of what you learned in grad school is a great idea, with the theme of "what I wish I had known but nobody told me." Recently a friend from college emailed me and asked for advice about applying to PhD programs, and I replied with an enormous list of hard lessons learned. Despite the distinct flavor of jaded grad student pervading my remarks, she said that she appreciated it much more than the generic well wishes she had been receiving when she asked for advice.

Also, when I was an undergrad, my mom used to send me kid art projects from the dollar store--like paint-by-numbers and suncatchers and what-not, and that was such a nice, mindless stress relief for me and my roommate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sophieangele
Two-headed girl

lacing fingers through the notches of your spine

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2008 12:06:49 PM »

Oh man, I am so up for this! Will send my qn'r when I get a second between revising for Hebrew exams  Roll Eyes

THIS ROCKS   Logged

kimmasaurus
...and up comes the toolbar. that's what she said.

do you think this is referring to your boning jan?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2008 12:48:45 PM »

oneredboot, i know as a teacher, i can always use a "progress" chart, like those reading charts or reward charts!  whether it be for me or for my students hahaha!  or a nice "classroom on wheels" type of organizer or roll up bag for those of us who aren't lucky enough to have our own room. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oneredboot
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2008 02:20:42 PM »

oneredboot, i know as a teacher, i can always use a "progress" chart, like those reading charts or reward charts!  whether it be for me or for my students hahaha!  or a nice "classroom on wheels" type of organizer or roll up bag for those of us who aren't lucky enough to have our own room. 

i love the idea of progress charts!  a star for day of dissertation writing....two stars for a completed grant proposal...

and thanks to all for the great ideas for my cousin!  i'm hoping to see her this weekend and i'll put something together for her before then using all your thoughts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kimmasaurus

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2008 04:23:38 PM »

lol, i should make a progress chart for my fiance and cleaning! hahaha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oneredboot
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2008 03:31:48 PM »

Alli_Lucy, I saw you posted in the IYP thread--who's your partner??  I love IYPs--I'm with dragonflyducky and mimiw this round. 

so, in other news, i got my teaching evaluations from my class this summer.  it was my first class, and i thought it went great given that I'm a modernist teaching ancient and medieval...but the evals were rather harsh!  i had a few glowing reviews, but a few others were just bitchy!  mainly complaining about all the memorization and the fact that the final was comprehensive.  um, it's an art history class.  there's memorization.  worst of all, no one mentioned all of the "active learning" field study stuff we did!  we spent one out of three classes each week in museum storage looking at objects, or making concrete in the roman manner, or watching clips from indiana jones to talk about mesoamerican art, etc., etc. once i even made the hagia sophia out of oranges and grapefruit to teach them about the architecture terms, then made juice for everyone with my juicer.   i mean, that's cool, right?? ugh, i love to teach, but how do you guys keep the faith in the face of a few harsh reviews??   

i'm going to be knitting it all out tonight, i think....  !!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alli_Lucy
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2008 10:35:39 PM »

Ugh - those reviews can totally ruin a day.  I know that some people are able to shrug them off and not take it personally, but I definitely do!  I think the sting does wear off a bit though; I've been through three rounds now, and I do put less stock in them than I used to.  Remember that some students will resent you for the things that make you a good teacher - i.e. encouraging them to learn, and not letting up!  As far as not mentioning the active learning stuff, it's possible that they just weren't thinking about it.  In our system at least, students are incredibly rushed when writing evaluations, and I know I've left out things that were important to me when I've filled them out in the past.  I'm sure that they appreciated it when it was happening.  It's even possible that you'll get some rave reviews on 'Rate My Professors' now that the class is done.  For tonight, knit it out!

On a different topic, I am doing the IYP swap - I promised myself I would keep it to one at a time, but I just can't resist an IYP.  I did my first in the spring and loved it.  I justify it because my partner (Two Cheese Please) and I will be keeping our packages small!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My craft blog: One Pearl Button

She blinded me with wisting
kimmasaurus

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2008 08:51:45 AM »

we got to review our profs for my undergrad... and i think it's a little weird.  some of us wrote positives and negatives in a positive way (a la "constructively"), and others just trashed them. not only did i find doing so rude and immature, i found it unproductive.  as a teacher, it's our job to like, teach something. i feel the students that whine about memorizing things and taking a comprehensive final exam are just not getting the real picture... life and work are comprehensive!

i teach swim lessons, and i always make it a point to ask my students if they enjoy class or if they would rather be somewhere else, and what they would like to see me do to make them learn more or enjoy it more, and these kids are 4-15!  Brutally honest, and few really dislike it, but sometimes, if they aren't enjoying it, i find it's because they're not understanding why we're learning certain skills. Once that light bulb goes off, they won't get out of the pool!  Maybe the kids that you had that were crabby don't understand why certain things are in fact, memorized or comprehensive (i mean, the name "final exam" in itself means "comprehensive" to me anyway!) or maybe they're just whiners!!!

And i love the phrase, "knit it out"/"crochet it out"/"sew it out"/"hug it out"!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Using a Speedlight Softbox
Using a Hoodman Loupe Without A Lanyard
Using Honl for SpeedLight Accessories
Using Paint Poles for Backdrops
Rechargeable Battery Solutions
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...